Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Noise Margin High, Never had a microfilter

This is a discussion on Noise Margin High, Never had a microfilter within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So every half hour or so the internet stops working. A browser will get a message like " dns look ...

monsterjimmy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01795
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

Noise Margin High, Never had a microfilter

So every half hour or so the internet stops working. A browser will get a message like "dns look up failed"
      this happens on all devices

so first I changed the dns to googles servers but the same message kept on appearing, dns look up failed
      I then looked at the router stats and saw that the noise was sky high (shown below)

My set up consists of a faceplat that has two slots one for the phone and one for the internet. I haven't
      had a microfilter ever and I have has sky for more than 3 years. Would I need one now? I have one phone
      and one internet router and the sky box.

Any suggestions?

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 5674 5684 0 1523 9329 00:09:24
      LAN 100M/Full 3839 4188 0 5071 1169 00:10:56
      WLAN 11M/54M 2857 2367 0 3564 488 00:10:44
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 0 kbps 0 kbps
      Line Attenuation 30 db 17 db
      Noise Margin 2147483647 db 6 db

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is online now Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD

Re: Noise Margin High, Never had a microfilter

Assuming you have a filtered faceplate and both the phone and sky box are directly connected to this then you shouldnt need filters.
      Without seeing your setup then confirming that this is the case is difficult.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

Re: Noise Margin High, Never had a microfilter

Are you actually on Sky Fibre as your Profile says? I did not think the fibre routers gave the full stats.

Even if you are not it looks like you have a major line fault. To narrow it down, remove the faceplate from your master socket and plug in a micro filter, plug the router only into this and take your stats. Check when the faceplate is removed that all your extensions have no dial tone and are dead.

The very high noise margin indicates a negative value which the router cannot show.

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.