Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

How to user second Sky Router as an Wireless Access Point?

This is a discussion on How to user second Sky Router as an Wireless Access Point? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I've come across a 2nd Sky Netgear DG834GT (white) and want to set it up as an access point ...

vandal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

How to user second Sky Router as an Wireless Access Point?

Hi, I've come across a 2nd Sky Netgear DG834GT (white) and want to set it up as an access point upstairs. My connection is weak to the 1st router in my bedroom so a second AP would be ideal. However I'm having problems.

I followed a guide from this site to set up the second routers (I'll call it the AP from now on). I turned off DHCP and gave it a static IP of 192.168.0.255 which is outside the IP range of the main router. I've connected both routers together with a cat 5 cable and turned them on. I can see both routers on my tablet to connect to. If I connect to the main router, all is fine. If I connect to the AP it gets stuck on "Obtaining IP address" and never connects.

I was under the impression the AP would get the IP from the main router for any devices trying to connect? Have I missed something here? Do I need to flash the AP to set it up as a proper AP or is the current Sky firmware fine?

ANY help is appreciated with this.

Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: How to user second Sky Router as an Wireless Access Point?

OK I've figured out that if I turn off the security of the AP I can connect no problem. This means anyone can connect to my internet though through the second router (AP) which is no good. I've tried different security settings (WEP, WPA ... etc) and it's the same thing. If I turn off the securty of the main router and have it on the AP it still won't connect, so no matter what I need to have NO security on the AP.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Cheers.

Fryingpan77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shipley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      I believe the static IP address has to be in the range of your sky router not out. If you give your AP the IP address of say 250 instead of 255 at the end and then turn DHCP off it should work fine.

Sent from my ST18i
      With sky since 1997.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: How to user second Sky Router as an Wireless Access Point?

I fixed the problem.

For some reason the AP didn't like WEP security. I changed it to WPA and it connects fine. The reason I have WEP is some of the Nintendo devices I have won't connect through WPA so the kids are constantly bugging me when they want to play when I was on WPA. So atm the main router is WEP and the AP is WPA. God knows why it won't connect with WEP but will with WPA. That's computers for you.