Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Webpages not loading.

This is a discussion on Webpages not loading. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I was working on a site over the weekend, making some changes, updating pages and so on. All was ...

NokiaGuy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gosport
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Webpages not loading.

Hi,

I was working on a site over the weekend, making some changes, updating pages and so on. All was going along fine, I could log into the sites control panel, was connected via ftp and all was ok. At some point in the afternoon, I went to save a page and received a timeout error. I tried refreshing but got the same thing. I left it for a while but still the problem persisted. So I left it until yesterday thinking all would be ok - but when I got up in the morning and tried it, I still couldn't load the site. But here's the strange thing - I tried the site on my phone via 3G and it loaded the page straight away. I was at my parents yesterday afternoon and tried it there - no problem again (they're not with Sky). I've tried it on 3 separate PC's in my house and 4 phones and none of them will load the site using my Sky broadband but via 3G it loads fine. I tethered my phone and PC yesterday and the PC loaded the site just fine via 3G.

I've tried rebooting my router, hard resetting, powering everything off for 10 minutes and trying again but nothing I try makes any difference. I'm completely stumped! I did ring Sky and explain the situation but was just told that they don't block any sites at all and my router is working just fine. The site I'm trying to access is on a shared server and I can't access any of the other sites on that server either. Which I agree would normally point to a problem on that server - but as I say, I can access it just fine anywhere else except via my home broadband...

I really would appreciate any ideas/advice/thoughts from anyone!

Neil.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Webpages not loading.

There have been some issues in the North West over the weekend. This is reportedly fixed, but the RSS feed shows them to be current.

If you are able to post the website address, it may be useful. Alternatively, can you check whether you can access the hosting company's website or others that they host?

I'm going to be busy for much of today, so can't check the site myself.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Hi, thanks for the reply...

All the way through my original post I kept saying to myself, "post the url Neil, post the url" - and then completely forgot!

The site I was working on: ICELED UFO, Car LED Lighting systems, smoother than Varad, Streetglow, brighter than Car Neons and some of the other sites that are on the same server (I have nothing to do with these sites):

www.lucysdevonkitchen.co.uk
      www.scoliosissos.com
      www.pilotcutter.co.uk

I can't access any of these at home. If I type the ip address of the server (37.75.233.11) itself, I don't get the "Default webpage" - I still get the same timeout errors.

Thanks,
      Neil.

Neil.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

They all work for me.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

Again no problems here either. I suspect too that somewhere we would be using the same backhaul through to Sky's servers.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Hi,

thanks for the replies. Came home from work today and I still can't access the sites. Tried rebooting the router again, tried 3 different PC's (Windows 7, Windows 7 64bit, Windows XP) and tried Ubuntu and none of them get through. I also tried changing my network adaptor to go through OpenDNS - that didn't work. Tried Google DNS, that didn't work either. I CAN however get through if I use the TOR network - but that's not a solution because I still can't FTP via WINSCP or any other ftp program.

Really is the strangest problem I've ever known! If anyone has any ideas what else I could try, I'll try anything.

Thanks again,
      Neil.
      Last edited by NokiaGuy; 14-05-12 at 07:30 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks

Reading about the other issues going on at the moment I realised that I have set my computer to use the Google's DNS but at the moment my PC is set to use the DNS servers set on my router. That is currently using Sky's primary DNS server, then Google's, then Sky's 2nd DNS server.

I can only suggest that you give Sky a friendly call again and see what they suggest. Personally I would suspect that if it isn't immediately obvious, then the call should be passed up to CST.

Thanks

I've had a thought (rare for me). I was out in the car tonight pondering what could be causing my issue. I'm 99% convinced it's not a fault with/at Sky - all sites load apart from the server I mention above and everything else is working fine. I then started wondering if perhaps it's something to do with the hosting server itself - but I thought if they had for some reason blocked the ip address I had come from, surely my ip would have changed by now and I'd be able to get back in...My connection type is MER and I've just been reading that the IP address of my router would rarely, if ever change. So maybe that is the case? When I was working on the site over the weekend, shortly before I couldn't access, I had a lot of error messages - maybe monitoring software on the server watches for a lot of errors and blocks the ip address if it hits a certain limit?

Really, my question(s) is: Is my IP static on a MER connection? And if so, is there any way I can change it? I've got a call in to the hosting company but I don't know when they'll look into it or respond.

Thanks

Neil.

Thanks

Sky don't do that. Whilst it is against their rules for you to host a site on your local connection, there are many members of this forum who maintain websites from their Sky connection. To start with you have Ged who jointly owns this forum.

Perhaps you could clear your cash/temporary internet files?

Thanks

Thanks for reply. I think we may be at cross purposes - when I asked about ip blocking, I don't mean Sky, I mean the hosting company that hosts the sites above. I connect to the sites mostly via FTP, make changes/updates etc and then FTP the new files back. So I'm wondering if the hosting company have blocked my ip. It kinda makes sense they may have done because when I access via the TOR network my ip is 'masked'/changed and I can access the sites fine via http. That's why I was wondering if it's possible to change the ip address of my router?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast