Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

No net connection, sky refusing to acknowledge problem

This is a discussion on No net connection, sky refusing to acknowledge problem within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Had my internet connection go down around 9am this morning, which isn't uncommon, left it a few hours while out ...

mrbish82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

No net connection, sky refusing to acknowledge problem

Had my internet connection go down around 9am this morning, which isn't uncommon, left it a few hours while out shopping and decided to report the fault around 12 when i got back and saw it hasn't been fixed. Told the customer support guy that i can see the router is showing "ADSL link up" and i'm getting a response from the DHCP server (i'm being assigned new IP addresses) but there's no internet connection other than that. After speaking to a couple of neighbours, i find out 2 are on O2 and 1 on BT that haven't had a connection all morning, so there's obviously a fault somewhere (phone line is fine).

After a 45min call with a tier 2 tech support guy, i still couldn't get past the "try rebooting your PC again" stage, I try to explain that several neighbours on different ISP's have the same problem, but i'm told over and over again that because they can see my ADSL link is up on their screen, there really can't be a problem (try resetting your router again).

It's now over 15 hours since the connection dropped, there's no connection light on the router, the O2 and BT connections are fine, and thanks to my neighbours, i can still get online, but what can i do now? Guy even suggested there could be some sort of virus on my machine, at which point i stopped listening.

It does seem like this is more of an Openreach problem, and a communication problem with sky, but this seems to happen every month or 2, i've spent so many hours talking to sky engineers in the last year. Is there any better way to report these faults?

Pic very related: No net connection, sky refusing to acknowledge problem-capture.jpg

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: No net connection, sky refusing to acknowledge problem

I haven't noticed any feeds from the Sky Status reports in the last day or so, so I have taken a look at their site. The only outstanding issue has been there for a while now:

Sky Help and Support | Service Status

Unfortunately the only way that Sky sometimes knows that there is an issue is when people on the same exchange as yourself start calling in to complain. I should call again in the morning if there is still a problem.

For a list of current issues, see: Sky Service Status

For a list of historical issues, see: Sky Broadband Service Status

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

m00958 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I have exactly the same problem. About 9 am yesterday morning my internet went off. I'm still synced with the exchange, and I have an IP. Can't ping anything on the Internet though.

I got through to a really nice guy in 1st line. Once I told him I'd tried 4 devices and. One were working he fast tracked through all the usual bull. I then got transferred to a nice lady in 2nd line (turns out she lives about 2 miles from me, in Weston-super-Mare) She ran some tests and confirmed that she couldn't get through to me from their end. They put my connection in to some sort of emergency mode at this point as I was only syncing at 128 up/down. Still no action so she raised a job for the network team. This is where I found the service disappointing. She said it could be 5days, yes, 5 days!!! Before the network team respond!!! Although she did say looking at their queue it should be less than that.

So, here I am 1 day in, and still no Internet. I'm going out this morning, but when I get back I'll be making another phone call.

BritBrat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I had something like that the other week.

Try changing DNS settings to OpenDNS:

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just got back home, and it's still not working. How do I change the DNS? I googled and from I've read a 2504n with MER can't be changed. What I'm seeing is kind of like screwed DNS, but I can't even ping 8.8.8.8.

Oh well, I'll just have to call again to see what's happening... Sigh!

BritBrat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Change the network adapter settings on local computer and deselect Obtain DNS automaticaly and enter in your own settings.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I tried changing adapter settings yesterday, albeit to 8.8.8.8 (I believe that's Googles DNS, right?). I just tried again with the DNS servers you listed above. No go. Still no Internet.

I phoned support and quoted my ref number to get an update. I was basically told the network operations only deal with emergencies on the weekend. I did point out that my definition of emergency is being without Internet for 1.5 days, but I realised complaining wouldn't make any difference. Really really annoyed that they aren't making any effort to fix my connection. Just adds to continual poor performance when it is working. As soon as the contract is up I'll be on my toes.

mrbish82 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by m00958 View Post
      (turns out she lives about 2 miles from me, in Weston-super-Mare)
      That's where i am, noticed my phone had connected this morning back to my connection and all was working again. Strange that everyone's connection in my street seemed to be down yesterday, regardless of ISP, but some of the O2 and BT connections came back up, but mine didn't until the early hours, and yours still isn't back up...

Faulty equipment at the exchange and only some customers able to be switched over to temporary equipment until a replacement?

The problem is the WSM exchange at the end of the day, I've only been here a year and a bit and hardly a month goes by without an outage.

Exchange:
      Thanks

That's too freaky!

I know they are in the process of upgrading to fibre at the exchange. Maybe they're making a hash of it.

All I know is that I've spent the whole weekend without Internet, and I had loads to get sorted out. Only so much you can do on an iPhone and 3G.