Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Local Only - Wireless Sky Broadband Help!

This is a discussion on Local Only - Wireless Sky Broadband Help! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, Basically, I've just gone and got Sky broadband. However, I seem to be struggling to connect my laptop ...

chalkwii is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Angry Local Only - Wireless Sky Broadband Help!

Hi there,

Basically, I've just gone and got Sky broadband. However, I seem to be struggling to connect my laptop to the internet wirelessly. It seems to work fine when connecting using the ethernet cable. It recognises the network, connects, but has "local only" I've tried many things as listed on this website (the wireless guide!) and other websites. But they don't seem to work!

I've also tried updating the network card device driver, but it says that it is using the latest driver!

I've never had any problems before connecting to wireless internet connections, it just seems to be this one! I'm out of ideas!!

Oh and FYI - I can connect my smartphone to it no problem wirelessly.

If anyone could provide some sort of resolution that would be super and I would be ever so grateful!

Information that might be of use to you:-
      Router is:- Sagem F@st 2504n
      Network adapter: atheros AR5700EG Wireless Network Adapter

Many thanks in advance!!!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Local Only - Wireless Sky Broadband Help!

Are you using the correct network key? All capital letters, no numbers.

Try going into the router wireless settings and disable the security.

Check that your Laptop is set to Obtain an IP Automatically and does not have an address entered manually.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

chalkwii is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thepass has been entered correctly as it connects. Just local! - laptop obtains IP address fine! And as for the security I've tried that. Yet still only connects locally. Its becoming ever more frustrating!!

nw1456 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Can't help with Vista directly, but if you have a firewall running, it may have detected the network and put it on an "untrusted" list.

Also check that the laptop network connection is using the same encryption method as the router i.e. AES or TKIP

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chalkwii View Post
      ...Just local! - laptop obtains IP address fine! And as for the security I've tried that...
      Could you run 'ipconfig' and double check please? From experience I've gotten 'Local Only' when my PC is connected to the router, but it hasn't been allocated an IP Address. The same problem would normally occur if I had manually set the IP Addresses for the wrong IP range.

By default, the Sky routers use an IP address 192.168.0.1 and you should see this address as the Default Gateway and an IP Address in the range of 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.254.

With Vista I would also ask that you have downloaded and installed all the recent updates too. I'm not sure which update it was, but early Vista computers would not support WPA-WPA2 which the Sky router uses.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Here are some places you can look for a solution

First, right click the wireless icon in the Tray and select ‘Diagnose problems’ This sometimes works or at least gives you an idea of what is going wrong.

Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers
      If you are definitely getting an IP address this will not be the problem but try it anyway. It has worked for others,

You may experience connectivity issues or performance issues when you connect a mobile PC that is running Windows Vista or Windows 7 to a wireless access point
      This one shows you how to correct Power Options on your laptop.

When a DHCP server is unavailable on a Windows Vista-based computer, Windows Vista uses an APIPA IP address much sooner than Windows XP does under the same circumstances
      The fix for this one is to set your PC to use a manually configured address in the same range as the router. If you do this make sure you use an address high in the DHCP range like 192.168.0.100

In your Wireless Adapter Network Properties, disable Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6).

Very often this problem can be fixed quite simply by un-installing the wireless adapter and re-installing it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.