Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Very poor broadband speeds suddenly

This is a discussion on Very poor broadband speeds suddenly within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Please help! Less than a week ago my broadband speed has dropped from approx 10mb to 0.2mb making it unusable. ...

telronaldo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Very poor broadband speeds suddenly

Please help!
      Less than a week ago my broadband speed has dropped from approx 10mb to 0.2mb making it unusable.

I had a nice little set up. I ran an Ethernet cable from the sky router to a hub and further Ethernet cables to my Panasonic tv, Sony blu ray & sky hd box. Everything worked well and I had this in place for more than a year.

I phoned sky and they suggested the usual with the router with turn off & reset routine it was still very poor. They said they would send microfilters. I changed channels also to 3 & 9 as suggested by sky as i hace an xbox with wireless connection.I also completely disconnected by hub and other ethernet cables from my system. The admin shows we are getting good speeds in & noise reduction test is ok.

Now the strange thing. When the tv is off the broadband speeds are good. However when the tv is on the speeds drop to this 0.2mb type speed. Let me repeat nothing is hooked to the hub anymore so tv, blu ray & sky hd boxes do not have connection anymore.

Any advise please I am going mad!?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Very poor broadband speeds suddenly

If the speed only goes down when the TV is connected, it looks like a problem with the TV adapter. Check if there are any firmware updates available for your TV.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi - I found a spare microfilter & fixed it to the line of the Sky HD box and the speed has stayed consistently high! So looks like a solution!!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Well done for finding the cause.

Consider getting a filtered faceplate installed and fitted. Hopefully this will help to prevent it from happening again.

If you have an NTE5 Telephone Socket (the type with a split faceplate) they can be fairly easy to install. Otherwise you will need to try and fit the NTE5 socket as well.

There are currently two type of filtered faceplates that you can get at the moment. The first replaces the existing faceplate (the small lower half). The second option fits between the existing faceplate and the Test Socket.

This Pic shows the NTE5 Socket split into it's component parts. The faceplate it the smallest part on the right/top.

This shows an ADSL filtered faceplate. If you have any hardwired extensions, then you will need to also purchase an IDC punch to fit the wires to the back of this plate.

This is an image of the vDSL Filtered faceplate. This sits between the faceplate and the rest of the socket. You can see this in the image below, which is actually an i-Plate which is now effectively obsolete with the new vDSL filter. It is a lot more expensive than the ADSL filtered faceplate, but it will allow you to not worry about any hard-wired extensions and works perfectly well with FTTC connections, such as SFU.

Take a look at the run-IT-direct site for prices: ADSL Faceplate Filters

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by telronaldo View Post
      Hi - I found a spare microfilter & fixed it to the line of the Sky HD box and the speed has stayed consistently high! So looks like a solution!!
      Do you mean you did not have a filter on the HD box? Everything connected to the phone line must have a filter fitted. This applies especially to the HD box, some of which require a higher quality filter than those supplied by Sky. The Sky fitters use a splitter to connect the HD box to the phone and many think this is a filter. It is not. This box must be plugged into a filter where a fully filtered system is not used.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

It's true - there wasn't one fitted for HD box. We had sky hd installed about a year ago replacing a sky plus box but until something went wrong I was nine the wiser. Many thanks for all your advice

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Some of the engineers installing tv need a kick up the backside - it happens ALL the time.