Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Broadband keeps dropping

This is a discussion on Broadband keeps dropping within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; OK, this is long winded, but I promise to get there in the end: In January my broadband kept dropping ...

helens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Angry Broadband keeps dropping

OK, this is long winded, but I promise to get there in the end:
      In January my broadband kept dropping with sky, to cut a long story very short after 10 days of replacing splitters, purchasing a new router (as I was out of warranty) and despite being told on several occasions my line was fine, it turns out the culprit was an over-configured line.
      In anger I cancelled my sky Phone and Broadband and signed up to BT Infinity. They had issues trying to get my line to work at an speed greater than 1 mb and allowed me to leave them.
      Since I was getting 3mb with sky I signed up at the beginning of March to be a new Sky phone and broadband customer. Whilst not getting more than 3mb the level of service was consistant.
      Over the weekend my broadband just dropped again like it did in January for a complete day. Reporting it to sky they decide (like they did in January) that it has to be an issue inside my home! I explained that I have the following setup - a master phone box to the home at the front door, with nothing but I presume the sky box connect to. A BT installed phone socket upstairs, with a microfilter connected to it from where I run my router and two sky boxes that sky installed with the cables going straight through the outside wall and connected to god knows where.
      I am being told that as my Sky TV package was installed in 2010 (although by a sky engineer) that if a visit to my home shows this is causing the issue I will be charged 160 for the visit ?
      There is no way I'm signing up for this, SKY and BT installed everything and nothing has changed, does anyone have any suggestions. Clearly there is an issue with broadband at my home, as BT were quite happy for me to leave as they couldn't solve the issue.
      I can pay for a lot of MIFI for 160 - any suggestions, I'm not happy at all!

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Broadband keeps dropping

Let's start with the basics to confirm a few things:

- Do you have any noise or issues on your landline phone?
      - How many telephone sockets do you use altogether and where are both located?
      - How exactly is the equipment set-up at these sockets i.e. what is connected first into the socket (be as descriptive as possible) and then what comes after that etc.
      - Is the router on the master or an extension socket?
      - Are you using any extension cables to the router?
      - Do you have a test socket?

And post up your stats at the moment so we can compare if we have to change the set-up.

helens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

OK. so to be specific I have a master socket at the front door which I do not use, but there is a cable running from the outside to it. BT installed an extension socket to the upstairs, which runs outside the property and I presume that is connected to the master.
      There is nothing else connected to the master socket downstairs.
      Upstairs where the BT extension socket is located there is an ADSL filter connected directly to the box. From this there is a phone cable plugged in and the cable to the Sky Sagecom 2540N router. No other phones are located at the property that require anything other than a power socket.
      We have a Sky HD box and a multiroom box upstairs. From each box 2 cables go directly from the box and through the outside wall, I have no idea exactly where the cables actually go after that point, these were installed by Sky themselves.
      Other than that, we have absolutely no interference on our phone line whatsoever.

Does that explain our set-up ?

It's funny how the line was down for exactly 24 hours on Saturday and dropped for a few minutes this morning, but has been quite stable ever since.
      I did have stats up to almost 3mb, but they were cleared out for some reason, all I have now are from today and are as follows:
      Today 13:04 1176 kbps (147kB/s) 633 kbps (79.1kB/s) Share
      Today 08:00 894 kbps (112kB/s) 617 kbps (77.1kB/s) Share
      Yesterday 09:54 1179 kbps (147kB/s) 623 kbps (77.9kB/s) Share
      Yesterday 09:54 1241 kbps (155kB/s) 511 kbps (63.9kB/s) Share

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

How to get your router statistics - Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky!

Post up your full stats as per the link above and we'll have a look at them. A couple of things just to clarify:

1. As for the set-up - are you positive that the Sky tv boxes doesn't connect to any telephone socket?
      2. If you have a look at your master socket, does it look like the one in the following link? - How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket - Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky! If so, then you'll need to unscrew the two screws, take the bottom half of the faceplate off and then plug the adsl filter direct into the test socket to the right hand side, with just the grey dsl cable that Sky provided going to the router. Re-take the stats (as per the link at the start of my post) and we'll see if there is any difference
      3. If you DON'T have a test socket (as per the link in point 2), then unplug every piece of equipment from all your telephone sockets and just simply plug in the filter downstairs at the master socket with the short grey dsl cable going to the router. Post up your stats like that.