Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Bad ping as of late. Could it be the weather?

This is a discussion on Bad ping as of late. Could it be the weather? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just a frustrated gamer with terrible ping and little knowledge of networking or anything like that. I've always been plagued ...

Morefine is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Bad ping as of late. Could it be the weather?

Just a frustrated gamer with terrible ping and little knowledge of networking or anything like that. I've always been plagued with bad ping but since we after a few calls to Sky and a brand-new router everything cleared up. However, I've noticed recently whenever there is strong winds, heavy rain or lightning, my ping goes kablooey. Especially with the bad weather as of late, I've been suffering pings that reach 1000+. Our router is not even 2 months old and I've had no problems whatsoever until the past 2 weeks.

Here's some stats if that helps.

Bad ping as of late. Could it be the weather?-6831fed4527b3df36adea865c19d7894.jpg

2. Advertisement
      Laprion is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SMBT
      Broadband ISP: SBUF From 1st May
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Bad ping as of late. Could it be the weather?

Quote Originally Posted by Morefine View Post
      Just a frustrated gamer with terrible ping and little knowledge of networking or anything like that. I've always been plagued with bad ping but since we after a few calls to Sky and a brand-new router everything cleared up. However, I've noticed recently whenever there is strong winds, heavy rain or lightning, my ping goes kablooey. Especially with the bad weather as of late, I've been suffering pings that reach 1000+. Our router is not even 2 months old and I've had no problems whatsoever until the past 2 weeks.

Here's some stats if that helps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6831fed4527b3df36adea865c19d7894.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	3238
      It can be the weather which sky has no control over you look like you wired connection mostly is that on yhe computer playing the games (i know this feeling 22 mph winds here last night was playing havoc with the connection. if i still fells wobblely and the wind rain is gone you could try restarting the router again (notice it was restarted an over an hour on the pic tho) did u do it or was it like that before if u didn't then try doing a restart yourself i've even had to do a reset before to clean it up (pin in hole for 10 seconds) will sometimes work

01 May, 2012 09:49:39 37888 Kbps 1644 Kbps

old
      [URL=http://www.speedtest.net/result/1923444745.png[/URL]
      Sky User Speed Tester - 30 April, 2012 08:54:22 - 2176 Kbps - 637 Kbps

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Bad ping as of late. Could it be the weather?

Resetting the router won't cure it.

However, it you can here crackling on the line, then the wind could have broken some overhead cable somewhere. If this is the case, then call your line provider (i.e. Sky if you pay them the line rental) and they can arrange for BTO to repair it for you.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms