Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sky Connect and speed drops during peak hours

This is a discussion on Sky Connect and speed drops during peak hours within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; There is still nothing to suggest a problem. Perhaps it is contention but i've never seen a case as bad ...

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      There is still nothing to suggest a problem.

Perhaps it is contention but i've never seen a case as bad as this. BT really need to get involved via sky to sort this problem out. Even allowing for contention your speed is low but i think from memory BT will only log it as a problem if it falls below 200K. - which unfortunately leaves it up to sky to sort out.

Try if possible to do some BT speed test to get it below 200 and then you may be in with a chance of getting something done. Also it may be worth looking at your exchange to see if it is maxed-out and if there is any planned upgrade and when

2. Advertisement
      Just Cause is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallsend
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      How do you check if your exchange is maxed out?

Plusnet suck is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by dingdong View Post
      Can you use the bt speed tester on an llu line? That is the one where you actually log into their service. Also if you are using the sky router how are you going to do it?
      The OP said he was on the connect package which is BT maxdsl so the BT speedtest will work, at least it does on mine

Plusnet suck is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Just Cause View Post
      How do you check if your exchange is maxed out?
      Try here, its shows mine as red and due to be upgraded http://www.nildram.net/support/tools...stion_checker/

old mcdonal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Plusnet suck View Post
      Try here, its shows mine as red and due to be upgraded http://www.nildram.net/support/tools...stion_checker/
      Thanks i will try this tonight, at the moment as i expect im getting around 7megs

The congestion status on my number currently shows:

Congestion status on this exchange is GREEN.

Your telephone line is on an un-congested exchange.

will run this again tonight.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      I get this:

Your telephone line has been identified as being on a congested exchange. If you are receiving varying speeds between 400kbs - 2000kbs at different times of the day this is likely to be a result of the congestion issue.

A provisional date of Oct 12, 2006 has been set for upgrading this exchange
      So we will see what happens if anything in a few days time

Mr.Hat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Atherton:LCATH
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by old mcdonal View Post
      ok same again this evening, 200k download speed if that. did reset router and as i guess no improvements

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7552 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 10.0 db 17.0 db
      Noise Margin 13.1 db 25.0 db

also - tried using my exisiting router which happens to be a 834gt typed in the user and password etc - no difference, i know for a fact theres nothing wrong with the equipment. it quite simple sky/bt or whoever is slowing/capping the network down at peak hours or there is lots of people connecting on at this period, and maybe affecting the contention ratio.

after midnight it will hit 7megs.

might give bt a call and ask them if they can help or at least identify the cause of this.
      Howdy folks

I'm suffering the exact same problem.
      My local exchange has not yet undergone SkyBB/Easynet LLU so I was forced to go the 'Connect' route (contradiction in terms)
      I got ADSL as soon as my exchange was enabled some 6 years ago. BT fitted my ADSL master socket and I stayed with them for nearly 3 years with only a couple of very minor initial problems, I then shifted to Pipex for a further 3 years and had the most incredible QoS with both 512Mbs and 1MBs. Now OMG, I can only log-in to the Sky portal from work as from my home line it fails and my connection speed is pitifully plus every couple of seconds totally flat lines. The router log's are showing no problems or connection loss and exchange link speed is always > 7MBs... Oh and I can only use the btspeedtest site in the early hours of the morning when my connection appears to suddenly start working but still flat lines every couple of seconds.

I'm truly disgusted

Sorry about ranting on in my very first post, can you guess that I'm not happy?

Just Cause is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallsend
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Plusnet suck View Post
      Thanks for the link mate. I checked this and my exchange is red. Provisionally due for an upgrade on the 12th October.

Do you know what winds me up the most here? If someone from Sky, at any point, had of checked this information and explained it to me I would have completely accepted the situation. This checker and its concise information is ALL I needed to know. Aghhhhhhhhhh!

All I can say is...what a complete bunch of muppets Sky are with respect to communications and support.

EAC
      EAC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      My 'Connect' service went live last Friday, and for the first couple of days it was lightening fast. Since Sunday it now really does slow to a crawl after about 5pm. Today its shocking, hard to load web pages, and downloads are no faster than 30kb/sec

I know my exchange isn't overly congested as I never had a problem with my previous 2mb service with BT, and the exchange shows as 'green' on the Nildram checker page.

Really annoyed at the moment.

GSK69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Earlsdon, Coventry
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I've got exactly the same problem! Infact there have been a few other threads about this problem.

I've been on connect for nearly a month now, even though my exchange has now been easynet enabled.... (Not sure when sky change me over to the mid package - anyone got any ideas? It said on my registration email they automatically swap you over? I really want to upgrade to the max product if the exchange is enabled!!!)

Anyway, my speeds are 5.5 meg through the day, no problems, it hits 5.30pm and the speed is all over the place, anything from 0 - 1.5meg, when I'm downloading stuff the speed is up and down like a yo yo! - same at the weekends too apart from first thing in the morning - how annoying!

I've done all the usual tests/tweaks and I know for a fact it's not anything to do with my set-up, wiring etc so it must be a problem with the exchange or sky/BT throtling the speeds at peak times??

Doing my head in now....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast