Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Do SKY support read or know their own help & support advice.

This is a discussion on Do SKY support read or know their own help & support advice. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Well as I had my Billion now connected, I thought it rude not have a little tweak with noise etc, ...

Snipit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Do SKY support read or know their own help & support advice.

Well as I had my Billion now connected, I thought it rude not have a little tweak with noise etc, running off ADSL2 rather than plus as well. I have my ping 20 rather than 60. connection running for 3 days now. Much better experience all round. What worries me would I loose this ability to change modulation when I move over to full LLU?

Model Name BiPAC 7800N
      System Up-Time 3 Day(s) 9 Hour(s)
      DMT Status No Defect
      Operational Mode G.DMT
      Upstream 768
      Downstream 8032
      SNR Margin(Upstream) 14.0
      SNR Margin(Downstream) 2.7
      Line Attenuation(Upstream) 28.0
      Line Attenuation(Downstream) 44.0

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

What worries me would I loose this ability to change modulation when I move over to full LLU?
      No, as long as your modulation is set to ADSL2+ in the exchange, you can set your router to set any type. If it is set to G.DMT in the exchange you cannot set it higher. Your SNR Margin looks a bit low, but as long as it is holding the connection and not dropping the actual throughput, that's OK.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Any news on your switch to sky's "new and improved" network? been 5/6 days now since you switch date , your 10 day line training should be flying up the profiles.

lets just hope you dont get the same troubles as me when I was switched over to SVBN 6/7 weeks ago, they broke my phone line (which took 3 weeks, about 20 emails and as many phone calls and 6 engineers call outs to fix) and broadband sync rate dropped from 18Mb to 11Mb from the very moment I was switched at midnight 9th April and has been there ever since because of large amounts of noise seeping into my line, it has started to get worse in evening too , dropping to 9Mb sync because noise increasing (I have to reboot next day to get it back to 11Mb) , my neighbour is on their "new & improved" network too and hers is worse than mine, yet the neighbour on the end who is on WLR3 has a perfect connection like mine was....hmmm

sky just fob me off all the time , I originally asked them if I could opt out of being moved over to SVBN but they said no, but if anything happens (which it shouldnt) we will fix it....ahem!!

about 75% of the time reps do not call back or reply to emails (or reply with short scripted 'start all over again' responses), its been a massive inconvenience to us with all the stress of having to chase sky all the time because they have a habit of just wanting to forget about you... we went without any phone for 4 days and I kept emailing them asking them to call the mobile because we had no phone, they kept replying asking us to phone them - eventually they said they would cal mobile and next day they text it asking us too call them...!!

they even sent a text saying "your phone line has now been fixed" when it had not?

6 weeks on and ive got a noisy line thats forcing my 18Mb connection down to 9Mb and I also have occasional drop outs, they said it wasnt enough to be considered a problem!! upstream Line Attenuation fluctuates between reboots too, can be as low as 7db and high as 16db ...this should be static!

I managed to get through to escalations but the rep there was very dismissive and always trying to get me to give up and back down...didnt even offer up any sort of credit for our loss of service and massive incovenience (even losing wages through having to be in for engineers on several occasions)...useless!!

Now they say my exchange is over its capacity and an upgrade is going to take 10 weeks to roll out and they cant & wont do anything until then....thing is, my throughput and latency has been spot on, my exchange is not listed as congested either AND ive been told that 'congestion' does not cause the symptoms im having, I think its just an attempt to try and get me to leave it, before they told me this the rep said "the Network Team dont know whats causing it because they dont know what the problem is" says it all really... so in 10 weeks time i know we will still have the same problems on our line....if not worse! and by then it will be a total of 16 weeks since it happened and still not resolved!!
      Last edited by snadge; 22-05-12 at 03:48 AM.
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

It sounds like you have had a major problem there snadge.

With the information about you neighbours being taken into account, I would suggest that the problem is inside the telephone exchange or on the trunking cable between your home and the exchange.

If your connections between your home and the exchange were not changed, then then issue will be inside the exchange.

If I were in your situation then I would speak with your neighbour and jointly pursue this through the Executive team. It is possible that BTO has decided to use old cabling which has caused the drop in speed.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Maybe it's DLM's fault, you know that pwr setting that messes up everyone's speeds...

Snipit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I have been changed over, had mails, saying welcome to sky broadband, and the Scotish lass on quite line test is now Zoe with a odd mid atlantic accent. Anyway nothing has changed, my upload increased for a day though its back down where it was in my last post. Download has decresed too regardless of modulation. The line testing started on the 19th although this did not show on my account until today, I have messed this up. Anyway the exchange now has a new revised date to fix the intermittent issue, Mid June. I can see a flock of flying pigs too.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234