Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sudden Noise on line

This is a discussion on Sudden Noise on line within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Morning all, I don't expect and answer just venting before dealing with a knackard network in work. OK so overnight ...

s1ndr0me is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWPEU
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sudden Noise on line

Morning all,

I don't expect and answer just venting before dealing with a knackard network in work. OK so overnight my line has gone to the dogs. We've been with sky for years with barely an issue. I've even got quite a heath robinson cabling arrangement where I've added extensions for sky+ boxes over the years but its never caused and issue. We've also got a BT fitted ADSL wall socket so no micro filters. I ordered Fibre and the line rental on the 13th. When I got home from work monday the router wouldnt connect past .5meg. There is a thread regarding issues at our exchange from a few days ago but my line remains poor. Removing all the extensions and just leaving the phone plugged into socket behind the master socket faceplate I can hear the line is really dirty. I then noticed that if I listened to dial tone on the phone the router would reconnect at a decent 6meg speed. Further observations indicate that getting a dial tone allows a conx but then the router gradually reboots and drops the conx rate until can barely connect.

any thoughts people? Fibre's here on the 27th so I'm guessing the openreach engineer will be able to fix it or is it worth chasing sky up?

thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Sudden Noise on line

I would be inclined to contact your current line provider. You should expect a 1st class service at all times.

If a fault has developed they should fix it now.

Just my personal opinion.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I then noticed that if I listened to dial tone on the phone the router would reconnect at a decent 6meg speed. Further observations indicate that getting a dial tone allows a conx but then the router gradually reboots and drops the conx rate until can barely connect.
      That looks like a high resistance fault where a joint on the line has come loose. You should report it to the phone rental provider(Sky?) before you are due for the fibre to be installed. If the fault is between your house and the cabinet, it could cause delays to the fibre being activated. If the fault is between the cabinet and the exchange, it will not effect the fibre, but your phone will still be dodgy.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Justinlang is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Neston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks
      Does the cable run through tree branches between the property and the pole? If so the insulation may have worn away and caused the issue that you describe.

Sky will need to instruct bto to come out and replace the cable.

Thanks

thanks for all the replies guys...... just got home. Gonna give sky a call now! while i've still got inni net. just seems strange that it should go TU when I asked to change line rental. Since the line got DLM'd a while back the modem syncs at 6142k almost all the time. the day after I ordered the fibre it looked like the line had been reset because it started connecting at 7-8meg and then the trouble began.

edit: sky have pushed me back to BT. hmmmm I can see where this is going! now waiting for a queue buster callback.

If you havent heard from me 2 hours call the police and send a st. bernard with brandy
      Last edited by s1ndr0me; 19-04-12 at 05:27 PM.

Thanks

back once again,

Callback never came. I rang again. got through to a helpful chap in india. he got me to hang up while he ran some tests. True to his word the callback came and he said that he couldn't find a fault .A few more questions about the test socket. We arrange a callout for Saturday. I thank him, he thanks me. After hanging up I check the dial tone for the 1000th time this week and whaddya know? No noise. Internet is solid and I can run a speedtest which has recently been impossible. Now I've got to go through the whole process of cancelling the engineer before w/e to avoid a charge. Will there be enough time to soak test the conx I wonder?

Thanks again for all of the help, although I have an inkling this ain't over yet :-)

S1n

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Best way to check your line for noise is to dial one digit and listen. Any noise, apart from a very slight hiss, should be reported as 'noise on the line'.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

good news people. It's not my wiring. There's badness on the pole just down the street. Engineer came but couldn't climb the pole so he called a cherry picker. When his mate finally arrived they had to block the street. Seemed like all was going well untill someone threatened them with calling police. WTF? honestly this country. They're now coming back tomorrow. We've got a spar right opposite and the crap we have to put up with regarding people blocking our street cause they are too damn lazy to park up and walk a few feet.

grrrr. fingers crossed for tomorrow

S1n

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

The cheeky side of me would have said "Sure call the Police, but you'll have to use your mobile as the land-line is down".

By returning tomorrow it gives them a chance to place some 'No Parking' cones by where they want to work. I don't know if BTO can do this though.

Thanks

Thanks scubbie, They returned at 8.30 this morning and all is well. phew! No noise on the line and our old sky router is connecting at a healthy (for us) 7meg. Roll on friday when Fibre arrives.

Thanks again everyone. We've had fibre issues in work all week, then a RAID went in one of our doco servers. Added to our home internet going bad I think I would have gone mad had it not been the friendly help here.

pease puddin

S1n