Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By jimconsole

New connection, High Pings and High Attenuation.

This is a discussion on New connection, High Pings and High Attenuation. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Good Evening all, I have had a new phone line installed at house ive purchased as there wasnt an existing ...

rizo_uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

New connection, High Pings and High Attenuation.

Good Evening all,

I have had a new phone line installed at house ive purchased as there wasnt an existing line there, however the attenuation is really high at 53.5db and SNR of 6.9 on the training speed of 4096k downstream.

High in comparison of my parents house 0.5 mile down the road nearer the exchange at 33db with a 7db SNR and sync of 13220
      Now doing a speedtest gives me 2.56/0.67 with a ping of 814ms

Will these figures ever change?

This is using the Black/silver sagemcom modem and direct into a v10 filtered face place, no extensions or phone. just the modem.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: New connection, High Pings and High Attenuation.

Any noise or issues with your landline?

In regards to the high ping / lower throughput - assuming it's via ethernet cable, no torrents etc. running, then check your exchange isn't listed within here by entering your post code: Broadband and Talk service updates | Sky Customer Support

panda_supreme is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: cirencester
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

hi, i too am having issues with my ping. its fine all day until around 8pm, when it rises from 33m/s to over 300m/s. my exchange is one affected in the issue, will this remain at around 30-40m/s when the exchange is fixed or will it continue to rise because of another issue?

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1905075116.png

this is a test i did at just after half ten this morning and as you can see i have a fairly good connection. this is a problem for me as i play ps3 online and the ping causes alot of lag in the evenings when i like to play the most.
      any advice?
      i have recently, after reading advice on this forum unwired my bell wire from my phone socket, and this increased my connection speed from 4meg to around 7 that its at now and reduced the noise on my line considerably

jimconsole is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

@rizo_uk
      If your exchange isn't listed as affected on the link User05 post above then i have a feeling because your line is still training, sky may ask you to wait the 10 days and then they will attempt to investigate. although with a ping of that value it is rightful cause to complain as the installation of the line appears not to have gone well.

@panda_supreme
      In theory when the exchange is fixed your ping will revert back to how it was originally. seeing as its out of your hands for the moment, one thing you could attempt in the meantime is making your current connection more stable. this can be achieved by restarting your router during peak times which will decrease the amount of errors on your line by putting your SNR Margin back to its maximum. you may lose a little speed which is normal but its the price you pay for stability although in your situation don't expect a massive change.
      gymno likes this.