Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Advice Needed Please!

This is a discussion on Advice Needed Please! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, I'm a current BT Broadband customer, paying 38 a month for broadband and the line rental. I requested ...

PCotgrave is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WELF
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Advice Needed Please!

Hi all,

I'm a current BT Broadband customer, paying 38 a month for broadband and the line rental. I requested that my line be placed onto the fast path, rather than have it interleaved to assist in my gaming as i was advised it would lower my ping.

Anyways, cutting a long story short...i had this on for 5 months and had no trouble what-so-ever. Then, i realised one day on checking my stats on the hub that the interleaving had been placed back onto the line. I contacted BT and asked for them to put the fast path back on. Initially it did, then whilst browsing last week, my router cut out and rebooted of its own accord.

On it reconnecting, the interleaving was placed back on. I have since contacted them (this now is my 3rd time as i type this) to have the interleaving turned off. I've had phone calls from the advisor's i've spoken to informing this had been done however on rebooting the router as advised....NOTHING, no change except in the noise up margin increasing.

So to top this issue off, i was talking to a friend last night who has recently transferred to Sky Broadband and he is getting twice the speed i am getting and has had no issue with the connection. I do a lot of xbox gaming and reading a few of the threads here, it appears that not only can i cut the cost of my monthly bill by changing to sky for both landline and broadband, i may get an increased connection and ultimately a better service. I've also read about a gaming profile, can anyone tell me what this is?

So the question i have is - if there is a contract in place with BT does this stop me from moving to a new provider unless i pay the remaining monthly fees?

Any help would be appreciated

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Advice Needed Please!

So the question i have is - if there is a contract in place with BT does this stop me from moving to a new provider unless i pay the remaining monthly fees?
      It will depend on the wording of the T & Cs, you may have to pay the full amount of the contract or there may be a fixed penalty.

Regards your Fast path problem, your line is probably not good enough to hold Fastpath so BT's automatic monitoring system, takes it off and puts it on interleave. Don't think because your friend has doubled his speed, that you will. All lines are different, even ones of similar length can give different results. If you want an idea of what you will get, post your stats, ie., Attenuation, sync speeds and noise margins.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It will depend on the wording of the T & Cs, you may have to pay the full amount of the contract or there may be a fixed penalty.

Regards your Fast path problem, your line is probably not good enough to hold Fastpath so BT's automatic monitoring system, takes it off and puts it on interleave. Don't think because your friend has doubled his speed, that you will. All lines are different, even ones of similar length can give different results. If you want an idea of what you will get, post your stats, ie., Attenuation, sync speeds and noise margins.
      Thanks for the reply!

That's what i thought in relation to the contract; i don't want to get hit with a massive bill for the remaining months outstanding, although i'll need to check on how much i have left.

These are my current stats on my hub:

Line state: Connected
      Connection time: 0 days, 02:32:46
      Downstream: 8.864 Mbps
      Upstream: 1.127 Mbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI: 0/38
      Type: PPPoA
      Modulation: G.992.5 Annex A
      Latency type: Interleaved
      Noise margin (Down/Up): 8.9 dB / 6.1 dB
      Line attenuation (Down/Up): 34.4 dB / 16.0 dB
      Output power (Down/Up): 20.6 dBm / 12.7 dBm
      FEC Events (Down/Up): 31964 / 20
      CRC Events (Down/Up): 58 / 0

Now, previously the downstream in the past 5 months whilst i had fast path enabled was showing as 10.24mb, the noise down/up was 4.3-5.6 / 5.5-6.5.

According to BT, the interleaving is OFF, however as you can see above, it is ON still. I'm not an expert in all of this, however i think because of all the reboots etc my line profile is reducing as it must be thinking there's an issue. Would i be correct in saying this?

I'm expecting a call from BT tomorrow - at this point i'll be enquiring as to what exactly is going on.

Any further help or advice provided would be great;

Regards,

Paul

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

You currently have

Downstream: 8.864 Mbps

With Sky (not fibre) you could get

ADSL2+ Speed Test

We estimate your line is capable of between 10mb to 12mb broadband on an ADSL2+ service. This ADSL2 Line Speed Calculator is a best guess only, as to the broadband speed that maybe possible on your telephone line. The checker provides results of up to 24mb with the data that is made available to us. This is purely for indication only and should not be classed as the Line Speed that you would receive on any ADSL or LLU product from another ISP.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It looks like you are on ADSL2+ and BT's version of DLM is finding problems with your line, causing it to be capped and put on Interleave. The problem may be in your internal wiring so if you have a Test socket(link below) plug the router in there using only a short ADSL cable and take your stats from there.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It looks like you are on ADSL2+ and BT's version of DLM is finding problems with your line, causing it to be capped and put on Interleave. The problem may be in your internal wiring so if you have a Test socket(link below) plug the router in there using only a short ADSL cable and take your stats from there.
      Thanks for the reply; i've not changed anything around the house no new equipment etc, nor have i changed any of the wiring.

The master socket has a ADSL faceplate fitted, with the separate ADSL and Phone line plugs, from there i have a 5m adsl cable plugged in and fed through plastic capping to behind the cabinet where the hub stands.

I'll remove the faceplate and test it from the test socket with a shorter cable and see what results i get - i'll post back in a few days

Thanks again

PS. I've also done a quiet line test via 17070 option 2 and found nothing wrong on the line...seems very clear.