Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

high pings & slight drop in throughput

This is a discussion on high pings & slight drop in throughput within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi folks, just wondering if there's anything else i should do before i phone sky. dlm finished about 2 months ...

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

high pings & slight drop in throughput

hi folks,
      just wondering if there's anything else i should do before i phone sky.
      dlm finished about 2 months ago & left me with a downstream sync of 19999kbps, throughput 17meg & pings to bbc (212.58.241.131) of 24ms/25ms. i've regularly checked these stats & they've never changed until now.
      everything was fine until sunday 8th when pages started taking a while to load, or occasionally not loading at all.
      i checked on sky's site that i'm not on an exchange with known issues & my router stats, which were fine.
      online speed tests were also fine, so i just put it down to the holidays.
      the problems continued until wednesday 11th, when everything went back to normal for the whole day.
      this lasted until an hour ago when a game of killzone3 revealed i had a lot of lag & the problem has returned, this time though, although my router stats are still ok, throughput has dropped to 15 meg & pings to bbc are 36ms/37ms.
      i've rebooted the router & tried the test socket, but the issue remains.
      i should point out that i use a ps3 & so can't do a tracert, but could do a reverse one here Traceroute, Ping, Domain Name Server (DNS) Lookup, WHOIS if it would help to diagnose.

any advice would be much appreciated.
      cheers

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: high pings & slight drop in throughput

well, i just got off the phone to sky.
      a very helpful chap confirmed that there'd been no change to my profile & that my max delays were still set to 8ms.
      he tried capping my line to 18014, but this made my pings even worse. he then tried a different gamer profile, but this had no effect on my pings, so he ran some tests & said i had a brilliant line with hardly any errors.
      we talked about pingtest.net etc & how although the results are odd because of my browser, they have gone from always showing ping 45, jitter 8 to ping 68, jitter 20.
      very few speed test sites actually work with my browser, but the ones that do have gone from showing 17 meg down to 15 meg down, upstream has remained unchanged.
      at this point he had to concede that there was nothing that could be done, just to check my gaming lag, video buffering etc over the weekend & if i've still got problems, to call back.
      i really hope this sorts itself out, like it seemed to on wednesday.

edit: my throughput is now back to the normal 17 meg. just my pings to sort out
      Last edited by gymno; 13-04-12 at 12:17 PM.

Fryingpan77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shipley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

It took me 3 attempts to get the gamer profile on my line. The first time they said my speed would drop from 18mbps to 10mbps. He was no use so I tried again a few days later. This time they put it through and my speed increased slightly and my pings were great. The next day my speed dropped just like yours and the pings were very high. I rang again the next day and the guy said that the line had not been stabilized and dropped me out of the gamer profile. He then put me on it again, my speed went back up, pings are great and it hasn't been a bit of bother since. Gaming on MW3 and other games online improved massively. Give them a ring back and you may get a person who no's what there doing. It might take a few attempts but keep trying.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

thanks for your reply fryingpan.
      the thing is, i'm confident that this guy did know what he was doing, as he did everything i expected / hoped he would (apart from say "sorry, your max delays seem to have gone to 32ms, i'll change it back for you").
      i'd never felt the need to ask for a gamer profile, as dlm left my max delays at 8ms anyway, i pinged the bbc at 24/25ms & never had any lag in games.
      i think that the way this cropped up, disappeared, then cropped up again perhaps indicates a cause somewhere else & one that being on the gamer profile (which i am now on) cannot overcome.
      could i ask what results you get pinging 212.58.241.131 using the 4 packet test on the diagnosis page of the 2504n? just in case it's got really busy lately. it would rule out my ps3 browser being silly.

Thanks

PING 212.58.241.131 (212.58.241.131): 56 data bytes
      56 bytes from 212.58.241.131: icmp_seq=0 ttl=247 time=27.9 ms
      56 bytes from 212.58.241.131: icmp_seq=1 ttl=247 time=27.8 ms
      56 bytes from 212.58.241.131: icmp_seq=2 ttl=247 time=28.1 ms
      56 bytes from 212.58.241.131: icmp_seq=3 ttl=247 time=28.2 ms

--- 212.58.241.131 ping statistics ---
      4 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 0% packet loss
      round-trip min/avg/max = 27.8/28.0/28.2 ms

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

thanks fryingpan.
      it's my connection then.
      here's hoping it's just openreach doing fibrey things in the exchange & it sorts itself out soon.
      it was scheduled to go fibre in march, but got put back to the next 3 month slot so it's possible i guess.
      oh btw, nice username. keeps making me hungry though.
      thanks again
      Last edited by gymno; 14-04-12 at 11:35 AM. Reason: reworded something possibly misleading

Thanks

No problems. Hope it all gets sorted for you.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

pings were still 36ms/37ms last night
      definitely noticed the difference gaming.

i always thought latency was purely down to errors & that the more there are, the more data has to be re-sent & so the longer the round trip = higher ping?

i rebooted the router at 11pm last night with a lower noise margin & trimmed off about 300kbps from my download. this morning i had 7.3db noise, but my pings have gone UP to 39ms/40ms? rebooted again at 7.3db noise, back to 19999kbps sync & pings are back DOWN to 36ms/37ms?

makes no sense to me. i just want the pings i've always enjoyed until 6 days ago.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

I'm just looking at your exchange. (link removed)

It suggests that FTTC is being installed, if not now, shortly.

Are BTO installing it at the moment?

I ask this because quite a few members have commented that their connections have dropped when Fibre was installed locally.
      Last edited by Scubbie; 11-08-13 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Editted at request

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

hi scubbie,
      i don't know exactly what's going on locally right now, but fibre is definitely imminent.
      i actually had a quick chat with an openreach guy while he was connecting my nearest new & old cabs together. this was about 6 weeks ago. i said that we were down to be fibre by 31st march & he just grinned.
      is it possible O.R. work could have this rather specific effect on my connection, given that sky man says i've very few errors?
      also, isn't the phenomenon in my previous post a bit odd? my recent google sessions suggest the opposite should happen.

ps, so you're more like scubbie wax than roy scubbie brown then. thanks for clearing that up.
      i thought newsreader was the lollipop girl for ages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast