Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

high pings & slight drop in throughput

This is a discussion on high pings & slight drop in throughput within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by gymno hi scubbie, i don't know exactly what's going on locally right now, but fibre is definitely ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: high pings & slight drop in throughput

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      hi scubbie,
      i don't know exactly what's going on locally right now, but fibre is definitely imminent.
      i actually had a quick chat with an openreach guy while he was connecting my nearest new & old cabs together. this was about 6 weeks ago. i said that we were down to be fibre by 31st march & he just grinned.
      is it possible O.R. work could have this rather specific effect on my connection, given that sky man says i've very few errors?
      also, isn't the phenomenon in my previous post a bit odd? my recent google sessions suggest the opposite should happen.
      BTO put the delivery dates into 3 month blocks. Since you've missed the 31st March block, the exchange, like many others, has been moved to the June block. There was a huge issue the other week with the BTO network. This has apparently caused quite a few exchanges to be delayed. Once it has been resolved, I would expect all the relevant exchanges to go live for Fibre.

As for th phenomenon, I am just repeating what has been posted by various members on a range of exchanges across the country. I would guess that since BTO are shoving much of the new fibre cables through existing conduit, that existing copper cables are being disturbed and there may even be electrical interference between the more cramped cabling.

It is also possible that the kit in the exchange has been moved around so that the new Fibre kit can be located, with cables being rerouted too.

TBH I don't know the actual details and we can only speculate as to the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      ps, so you're more like scubbie wax than roy scubbie brown then. thanks for clearing that up.
      i thought newsreader was the lollipop girl for ages
      That's alright then as Roy wouldn't really be a suitable name for a woman

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

thanks scubbie,
      i appreciate you looking into this for me.

i've been googling this whole issue (including bto's fibre implementation) & can't find anything of relevance, other than the std info that a higher noise margin = less errors = lower ping, which in my case, weirdly, seems to work in reverse.*

*edit: by that i mean that for me, currently a higher nm = higher ping & lower nm = lower ping. this even happened with the sky man on the phone, when he tried capping me at 18014kbps, for "hopefully even less errors" & therefore a lower ping, but my ping actually went up?*

i seriously hope it's not the 'cables in the conduit' scenario that's the cause, as surely that would never be rectified.

tbh though, i don't even know if i can justify having a beef about this anyway really.
      i mean, browsing is only a bit slower, the 'page cannot be displayed', 'http status 500' or 'submit saml response data' messages are only about 1 in 30 pages, plus many folks suffer a ping above 37ms.
      it just so happens that mine was 25ms until a week ago & that's what i've gotten used to re: gaming, which for me is what it's all about.
      Last edited by gymno; 14-04-12 at 09:48 PM. Reason: *this clarification*

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

I expect that when BTO starts to roll out FTTC locally I shall notice a drop in performance too.

Perhaps it should be remembered that the days of Copper cables being used to deliver our telephone services are numbered. Fibre will replace it all one day.

It is also possible that the new kit being installed by Sky in the exchanges will also support a fibre based voice telephone system. This would make all the copper cable redundant.

For those who are worried about the cost, please consider that ADSL was very expensive when it was first launched and the price of Fibre based products will fall in due course.

Today we quibble about the 40/2 or 80/20 connection speeds. Within a few years these should be replaced by FTTP and could offer up to a 1Gbit connection quite easily, using today's technology.

Since the backhaul is based upon Fibre, it is conceivable that as demand increases further, further improvements would be available too.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I expect that when BTO starts to roll out FTTC locally I shall notice a drop in performance too.
      Fibre is now available in my area but I can't say it's implementation has had any detrimental effect. So far at least.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

back to normal today

PING 212.58.241.131 (212.58.241.131): 56 data bytes
      56 bytes from 212.58.241.131: icmp_seq=0 ttl=247 time=24.3 ms
      56 bytes from 212.58.241.131: icmp_seq=1 ttl=247 time=24.7 ms
      56 bytes from 212.58.241.131: icmp_seq=2 ttl=247 time=24.8 ms
      56 bytes from 212.58.241.131: icmp_seq=3 ttl=247 time=24.8 ms

--- 212.58.241.131 ping statistics ---
      4 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 0% packet loss

no idea why. nothing's changed my end.

Fryingpan77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shipley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Glad to see it's improved for you. Did your problems happen at different times of the day or was it constant throughout.

Sent from my ST18i
      With sky since 1997.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

cheers fryingpan.
      it was constant (ish).
      the problem started exactly 1 week ago (sunday 8th), but rectified itself on wednesday morning. this lasted until thursday evening when the problem returned until now (sunday 15th).
      while it was going on, there was no variation in the pings at all, regardless of time of day, or what i was using my connection for.
      i just hope it stays like this, as although 37ms isn't terrible, i do notice the difference on fps games like mw2 & killzone 3

Fryingpan77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shipley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      High pings can make or break gaming. I play MW3 and battlefield 3 at the moment and before I went on to gamer profile, I just wasn't enjoying them. Now it's like playing a different game and don't get wiped off the map as much. Still doesn't help me shoot straight though

Sent from my ST18i
      With sky since 1997.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

aaargh!

just thought i'd sharpen my skills online, before guests arrive for an in-house tekken tournament.
      i did a quick check first though & got this:

56 bytes from 212.58.241.131: icmp_seq=0 ttl=247 time=24.6 ms

4 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 75% packet loss
      round-trip min/avg/max = 24.6/24.6/24.6 ms

20 seconds later & i'm back to this:

56 bytes from 212.58.241.131: icmp_seq=0 ttl=247 time=25.0 ms
      56 bytes from 212.58.241.131: icmp_seq=1 ttl=247 time=24.6 ms
      56 bytes from 212.58.241.131: icmp_seq=2 ttl=247 time=24.9 ms
      56 bytes from 212.58.241.131: icmp_seq=3 ttl=247 time=24.1 ms

4 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 0% packet loss

that's the first time i've ever seen packet loss.
      now i'm at a loss.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12