Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

MER on Netgear Routers

This is a discussion on MER on Netgear Routers within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by joew I assume you mean by using automated setup? I didn't receive this. My router simply told ...

newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: VPN, Sky router and others

Quote Originally Posted by joew View Post
      I assume you mean by using automated setup? I didn't receive this. My router simply told me it was a static IP and asked for the WAN IP address, I used the one from the Sky router.
      No I meant the option in my.netgear.com for the problem category.

I sent the following and got the following replies:

Online technical submission: view case

Please note this is a known problem and many of the following customers are also experiencing this.

Sky Broadband in the UK has moved away from PPPOA authenticaton to MER authentication. This product does not support this although a Firmware update would allow this to happen.

Please see: 7800N beta firmware for SKY (1483MER) NOW WORKING! and Billion UK Forum • View topic - BiPAC 7800N beta firmware for SKY (1483MER) NOW WORKING!

This shows that your competitors have been able to make this work.

At the moment I have the DGN 2200 linked to the Sky router but after numerous troubleshooting exercises cannot get VPN to work as the DGN2200 needs to be connected directly to the ADSL socket. This however cannot happen until the necessary firmware upgrade is made and rolled out for Sky.

Please refer this to the "customer request" department.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4/12/2012 7:20:00 PM
      Dear x,

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR. My name is A, your support engineer and I appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

I understand that you want to request for firmware updates for the DGN2200 wireless router which will allow the router to support MER (MAC Encapsulated Routing). I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. Please be assured that I will do my best effort to help resolve your case in the least amount of time.

Regarding the concern, I would like to mention that MER (MAC ENCAPSULATEd ROUTING) do require the MAC ADDRESS of the SKY SUPPLIED ROUTER as without the MAC Address of the SKY router, it is not possible to setup the connection using MER.

However, Thank you for the feedback. I will ceratinly forward this to the concerned department, who will be looking into this issue.

Please do visit Support Home Page for any technical queries regarding NETGEAR products.

Thanks again for choosing NETGEAR. Have a great day!

Sincerely,

A
      Technical Support
      NETGEAR, Inc.

4/14/2012 10:30:00 AM
      I understand that the authentication process needs the MAC address of the Sky Router which the DGN2200 is currently spoofing/mimicing at the moment. I also have managed to use an online website to obtain the default username and password. I therefore am ready to help Netgear in its Beta Testing when a Firmware update can be provided to me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4/14/2012 11:08:00 AM
      Dear x,

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR. My name is S and I will be your support expert. I appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

Thanks for the support offered by you. I will ceratinly forward this to our Engineering Department, who will be looking into this issue.

Sincerely,

S
      Technical Support
      NETGEAR, Inc.
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Expert ID: 41071
      Case Number: 18349264

Dear x,

This is P from NETGEAR 2nd Level Technical Support. I have reviewed the listed case notes.

Based on the query you have sent, you are having problems with your DGN2200 wherein it will not work with Sky broadband anymore since the connection was upgrade from PPPoA to MER. We are already aware of this concern and the issue has been raised to our Engineering department. This problem also affects other models since there is no support for MER yet. We are just waiting for a response if or when a firmware will be released.

I hope that the information provided would help resolve the problem. Please feel free to contact us again if you will require further assistance. For more information about the NETGEAR DGN2200, you can visit the link below:

NETGEAR DGN2200 Support Page

DGN2200 Model

A system generated e-mail will be sent to your e-mail address to inform you that I have responded to your inquiry. Please DO NOT REPLY to the e-mail sent to your e-mail address. Instead, If you want to reply to the message above and have additional query, please click “NO” when the system ask you “Was your problem resolved with the information provided by the NETGEAR representative above?”

When you select “YES”, your case will be closed and a separate e-mail containing a survey link will be sent to you to measure your customer support experience.

Thanks again for choosing NETGEAR. Have a great day!

Sincerely,

P
      Level 2 Technical Support
      NETGEAR, Inc.
      Support Home Page

NETGEAR Support Contact Information:

Call Toll Free 888-NETGEAR or with email support cases, update your case through the portal by visiting our web site at http://my.netgear.com/myNETGEAR/support.asp
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Thread renamed as requested by OP.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Thread renamed as requested by OP.
      I have also moved or copied relevant posts from 7800N beta firmware for SKY (1483MER) NOW WORKING!

If we could keep the Netgear discussion here and the Billion in the thread linked above it would be appreciated. Thank you.

...and yes I am guilty too.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks Scubbie.

I have also amended my first post as there are some posts still in here re. VPN.
      ------

kinase is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Darton
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: MER on Netgear Routers

I'm new here and was just wondering if anyone had anymore info on Netgear supporting MER on their devices?

The reason I ask is that my broadband service is due to move to Sky on Monday from O2, Sky have sent me a Sagemcom 2504N router which I really don't want to use. I have been using a Netgear DGN2200 with O2 for a few months now without any problems and my friends have all had really bad experiences with the 2504N they received from Sky.

Is there any way to know in advance whether my line with support MER only or will I just have to wait and see if PPPoA works when activated?

I have sent an email to Netgear regarding this but expect I'll get a similar response to the rest of you. It is a little poor that other manufacturers are already updating their products to support MER and Netgear is lagging behind.

Many thanks in advance.

Thanks

Sadly the is no news on Netgear supporting MER and my case has recently closed.

If your DGN2200 is still within the free support period log a support call with Netgear to see what they are doing.

As for knowing whether or not PPPoA will work, sadly this is potluck at the moment. I would suggest that you extract the log in details asap and connect the Netgear if this is your intention. This will be the only way to see if your line works with it.

If the Netgear doesn't connect, then you will have to piggyback it to the Sagem.

For those who have Netgear Cable Routers and are switching to SFU or SFUP, DD-WRT firmware appears to be a popular choice at the present time.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

kinase is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Darton
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi Scubbie,

Many thanks for the prompt reply, I have got one set of log in details using the online tool from the routers LAN MAC address and network key but will check them against the ones you can get by backing up the router. I am assuming they will be the same.

Guess I will have to wait until Monday when my broadband is activated to see if PPPoA works. To be honest I didnt want to have to piggyback it just because I can't stand the mess of extra cabling and devices where my master socket is located.

Again thanks for the reply and will get on to Netgear as the router is only 5 months old.

jwardy07 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kinase View Post
      Hi Scubbie,

Many thanks for the prompt reply, I have got one set of log in details using the online tool from the routers LAN MAC address and network key but will check them against the ones you can get by backing up the router. I am assuming they will be the same.

Guess I will have to wait until Monday when my broadband is activated to see if PPPoA works. To be honest I didnt want to have to piggyback it just because I can't stand the mess of extra cabling and devices where my master socket is located.

Again thanks for the reply and will get on to Netgear as the router is only 5 months old.
      Hi have you got any news on this? As im looking to get the Netgear WirelessN 300 Router wDSL Modem DGN2200100UKS so i can use my new Synology DS112J but im on the MER connection and i have tried using PPPoA on my sky with an old spare router which didnt work .
      Thanks
      Jamie

Thanks

The instructions to piggyback an ADSL router to Sky's router are here:

How to connect two Routers together

To raise a support ticket with Netgear, please look here:

https://my.netgear.com/registration/login.aspx

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast