Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

MER on Netgear Routers

This is a discussion on MER on Netgear Routers within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Scubbie I have had a couple of responses from Netgear. The first I had to correct the ...

newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: 7800N beta firmware for SKY (1483MER) NOW WORKING!

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I have had a couple of responses from Netgear. The first I had to correct the person as I suspect he clearly misunderstood what I was on about. Below is a copy of the correspondence thus far. Again, if others could chase Netgear it would be appreciated.

Now that the knowledge is in the public domain I would hope that any agreements not to use the sensitive information for Netgear's own benefit would become void.

I have started communciation to try and show there is a need:

** DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL**
      RE: NETGEAR Online Case Submission Case #18349264
      Please refer to this case number in any calls and or correspondence with NETGEAR support.
      Dear Customer,
      Thank you for choosing NETGEAR.
      Your case has been reviewed and has been updated by a NETGEAR representative.
      This is an computer generated email response - DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL
      Latest update by the Support Agent:
      Dear X,

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR. My name is A , your support engineer and I appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

I understand that you want to request for firmware updates for the DGN2200 wireless router which will allow the router to support MER (MAC Encapsulated Routing). I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. Please be assured that I will do my best effort to help resolve your case in the least amount of time.

Regarding the concern, I would like to mention that MER (MAC ENCAPSULATEd ROUTING) do require the MAC ADDRESS of the SKY SUPPLIED ROUTER as without the MAC Address of the SKY router, it is not possible to setup the connection using MER.

However, Thank you for the feedback. I will ceratinly forward this to the concerned department, who will be looking into this issue.

Please do visit Support Home Page for any technical queries regarding NETGEAR products.

Thanks again for choosing NETGEAR. Have a great day!

Sincerely,

A
      Technical Support
      NETGEAR, Inc.
      My father asked for the same request today and got the same oreply ofrom the same person with the same spelling error. Hmmm, is this getting passed on or filed in the circular filing cabinet?
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

It would be nice if they actually came back and asked better what we would like.

Since we have a genuine Sky router, we can supply the MAC Address and any other information. The router doesn't need to generate it, as it does with the Netgear DG934G or DG834GT.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post

Since we have a genuine Sky router, we can supply the MAC Address and any other information. The router doesn't need to generate it, as it does with the Netgear DG934G or DG834GT.
      What do you mean generate it? I can spoof a MAC with the DGN2200. Is this what you mean?
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.

Thanks

What I mean is that the Sky routers will have embedded the formulae to create the encrypted information, passwords, etc.

The Netgear DG834GT creates the WiFi SSID & password from the MAC Address.

Basically we aren't looking for this much detail.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Lucose is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

The Netgear agent is wrong, because the MAC address is completely irrelevant, as several of us have proved. All we need is for the Netgear firmware to support sending dhcp-client-identifier when obtaining a WAN IP via RFC 2684, but it sounds like we'll be waiting a long time for Netgear to do that.

Thanks

I've just had the same message too.

I've responded that someone in Netgear needs to read this thread.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Trying to shame Netgear into sorting their FW out I think.
      Apologoies, this is what we are trying to do. I've just have the following input from Netgear:

I regret for any inconvenience this might have caused you but you can read the forum, which will indicate that the MER System only works with the 1483MER Encapsulation and the 1483 MER Encapsulation is only supported by the below listed Models:

## Billion BiPAC 7800N
      ## Netgear DG834
      ## DG834v4
      with DGTeam 848 Firmware
      ## Routers running Tomato Firmware

And in this context, I appologise but the DGND3700 router do not support 1483MER Encapsulation and neither the unit run on Tomato Firmware, hence making it not compatible with the MER connection.

Also, I would like to mention that there are no updates available for the 1483MER Encapsulation for the router and it is not possible to setup MER conenction with DGND3700 wireless router.

I believe this answers your query. If you need any further help, please email us back so that we can continue to work on a solution.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Rather a strange reply and poorly worded, it looks like it has been written by someone whose first language is not English. He/she is wrong in their statement that only these routers support 1483 MER Encapsulation, many routers do. Or am I reading this wrong and he/she is implying that the listed Netgear routers, as well as the Billion, can connect using Sky's version of MER?

All in all, a poor response I think, should put anyone off buying a DGND3700, with future use with Sky in mind.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Lucose is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Or am I reading this wrong and he/she is implying that the listed Netgear routers, as well as the Billion, can connect using Sky's version of MER?
      Can't be, given that no Netgear firmware to date can send dhcp-client-identifier, which is required for a Sky MER connection. The fact that it only takes one argument to be added to udhcpc, implementing it is trivial. Like I say, an extra input box below the MAC spoofing would be ideal.

joew is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: VPN, Sky router and others

Quote Originally Posted by newbuilder View Post
      So that I don't jump through all the same hoops as you can you please post the wording you used and I will plug it into my request.
      Unable to connect to Sky Fibre MER authentication. I can connect with static IP address however Sky's MER authentication requires the router to be able to change the WAN IP address. A firmware upgrade is required to enable the [your router here] to connect to Sky MER authenticated lines. Billion are presently working on this for their routers.

Quote Originally Posted by newbuilder View Post
      What option did you choose "WAN Router does not get IP from ISP"?
      I assume you mean by using automated setup? I didn't receive this. My router simply told me it was a static IP and asked for the WAN IP address, I used the one from the Sky router.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast