Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Sky router and how i can achieve DNS change or VPN?

This is a discussion on Sky router and how i can achieve DNS change or VPN? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Basically I have a Wii and a Roku Lt set up in my house for my mum and dad to ...

RyTo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky router and how i can achieve DNS change or VPN?

Basically I have a Wii and a Roku Lt set up in my house for my mum and dad to use Netflix, however I want to set it up to view American Netflix, as the english version is reaaaaaaly quite poor and will never be the standard of the american service even though I pay more

So I have a VPN service which works fine on my PC, but as the Wii and Roku don't have VPN and the DNS is not editable on the Roku device itself I need to do this by the router (DNS) but I cant edit it on the router due to sky

So my question is;
      I heard something about 'cascaded' routers? Could I do this? Buy another router and attach it to the sky as I know I have to use the Sky router anyway, would I then be able to edit the DNS settings so my connected devices would think they were in america?

Also I did see routers with VPN built in, so although I do know VPN is slower but could I cascade the sky router to the second router with inbuilt VPN and this be be automatically set up to just let the devices connect normally (without changing the routers DNS settings) but forward the connection through VPN? Would that work?

If the wii and roku dont support VPN natively, but the router is set up to use VPN will it just feed the connected devices the fake american network? Sorry if this doesnt make sense, im just very confused and not very good at this internet stuff

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Sky router and how i can achieve DNS change or VPN?

249 views and no help :P?

I know how to cascade to routers together with the sky.. it sort of worked following some walkthroughs on the internet, but the only reason I want to do this is so the second Non-sky router can have different DNS' set to whatever I want, however with the methods Ive found, the 2nd router has to have the DNS set to the sky router?

Surely there is something I can do so the internet from the sky router simply passes through to my second router in which I can have the DNS settings forwarded to unblock-us?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I actually got this router to replace the sky router but it wasn't to reliable.. sometimes some devices wouldnt pick it up or connect to the internet so ive put the sky router back and really need to figure out this cascading thing!

Please help!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,540 Times in 1,501 Posts

I have not worked with the Sky Dlink so I don't know if this will work, it will with some of the Sky routers. Go into the router settings and click the Backup settings link. Save the settings to your desktop and open them using Wordpad. Search through the settings for mention of the DNS servers and edit the entry to the servers you want to use. Save the changes and go back to Backup settings and restore the edited one.

If this does not work, you may have to use a third party router which will allow you to enter the settings you require.

I am not actually sure that the DNS servers are the deciding factor in identifying your router as being in USA. I think it may be the IP address.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ah thanks for the reply!

I did as you said, and when ive opened the settings the only thing i can find that mentions DNS is a few of these lines;

<X_BROADCOM_COM_DDnsCfg instance="2">
      <FullyQualifiedDomainName>217.147.94.138

So would that be the ones I edit?

Thanks

No I'm afraid not. I think that refers to the Dynamic DNS function. The entry if it is there would mention 90.207.238.97
      90.207.238.99, which are the Sky DNS servers.

It looks like your easiest way and maybe only way, would be to use a non Sky router, which you can configure yourself.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I got this new router to replace sky (got the log in details etc) and it worked, however some devices couldnt even pick up the router, and some coulnt connect so I decided to put the Sky router back and thats why im trying to cascade.

Thanks for your help though, do you have and experience with cascading routers by wan to lan?

Thanks

There are 2 main ways to piggy back on to the Sky router. This way if you have an ADSL router - How to connect two Routers together I don't think you will be able to set the DNS using this. If you have a cable router you can use this method, which will allow the DNS to be set. Using the DLink DIR613.

What is the make and model of your own router?

TomD

Useful Utilites