Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Have I made A Mistake

This is a discussion on Have I made A Mistake within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I wonder if anyone can help me please. A few years back I was with Sky Broadband. At that time ...

Ricin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Have I made A Mistake

I wonder if anyone can help me please.

A few years back I was with Sky Broadband. At that time it was easy to use my own router.

I left Sky and joined Be* using there Line Bonded Service as I have 2 phone lines in the house. But that has got a little expensive. So I wanted to revert back to my old set up. Which was 1 telephone line with Be* and one with Sky. I had this a few years back it was great. Then using my old Netgear FVS124G to Load Balance the lines it used to work perfectly.

To go that route I use 2 x Netgear DG834 I think they are which are bridged as Modem only. Then the FVS124G will load balance off both ADSL lines.

With all that in mind I signed up one of my telephone lines to Sky Broadband. My new router has arrived its a small black Sagam one. But now reading on this forum it seems that Sky are using a new protocol of MER which will stop me using my own equipment.

At the moment my Broadband was supposed to go live yesterday. But my Sky Router only has an orange light as the connect light. So its not working. I need to ring them to fix that. But do I just cancel my Sky Broadband and save my self any more hassle ? or can I just switch the Sagam into a basic Modem and log in through my FVS124G ?

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Have I made A Mistake

Hi

I don't think you have made a mistake tbh Sky's Unlimited is a cracking package normally.

Have a read of this?

How to connect two Routers together

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Are you on Unlimited? Your Profile says Connect, but this may be a hangover from your old connection. If its not, make any excuse and get out, Connect is about the worst broadband package that can be inflicted on man.

Most find that they can still connect with PPPoA even if MER is available. On fibre, there is no alternative.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi thanks for the responses.

Yes sorry my profile is an old one. I am on Unlimted

I do agree Sky is pretty good as I say I used to be with them a few years back

Just wish I checked here before signing up again lol. I have had a read of the link you provided. Unfortunately that will not work in my case. For my load balanced router to work. It has to initiate the connection to who ever provides my broadband. Last time I was with Sky it was not to bad I just put in my user login etc into the router and it worked fine.

But with the new MER protocol has me a bit worried as my router does not support that. I have had a read of this thread Get The Username & Password From a Sagem 2504n

Which is the same router as sky have provided me with also same version of the firmware. I may try to extract my user name & password and see if I can get my router working.

I guess if worst comes to the worst I will ring and request my MAC code but hopefully it will not come to that. I think that I read I have up to 30 days from activation should I wish to cancel.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sorry to drag this thread back up. Sky have finally put Broadband onto my line. The Router Sky supplied works fine no problem.

I have put in the Username & Password to my Netgear FVS124G. But it will not connect Also tried putting in the MAC Address for the Sky Router into the Netgear. It totally refuses to connect period. Does this mean I am stuck with the Sky Router only ? if so I need to see if I can get out of my contract with Sky. Which I really do not want to do as its like pulling teeth trying to get them to cancel anything. Taken them best part of a month to get the broadband on in the first place.

My only other thought would be if I can perhaps bridge the Sagem 2504 that Sky supplied would this be possible ?

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

You can defo bridge them see Scubbies guide.

It maybe that you are connecting by MER which will explain why you cannot connect with the non Sky router.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the very quick reply lol. I will have a look at that guide and hope that works out.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The Netgear FVS124G is not an ADSL router so there is no way you can connect it direct to the Internet. It can only be used with a modem or another ADSL router. Have a look at my PDF here Using the DLink DIR613.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.