Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

In discussion with Sky Help Centre about slow speed but not getting anywhere

This is a discussion on In discussion with Sky Help Centre about slow speed but not getting anywhere within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello everyone. I'm new to these forums but have been lurking for ages so a big Hi to everyone. I've ...

BigGoff is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stourport, Worcestershire
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Wink In discussion with Sky Help Centre about slow speed but not getting anywhere

Hello everyone.
      I'm new to these forums but have been lurking for ages so a big Hi to everyone.

I've been with Sky Unlimited Broadband and phone line since October 2011 and recently I've noticed quite a few members of these forums seem to have better connections than me with similar router statistics. I've tried most of the suggestions to improve speed but to no avail.

My current router stats are:
      Connection speed 6140kbps(down) 797kbps (up)
      Line Attenuation 37.5 dB(down) 19.6dB (up)
      Noise margin 7.6dB(down) 9.9dB (up)

I've been in touch with the Sky Help Centre to see if I could get a faster speed but their reply has only served to confuse me even more
      Quote "Thank you for contacting Sky help centre. I understand that you want to recieve better speed than what are you recieving at present. I will surely assist you with it.
      I have looked into your account and found that your broadband line is capable of holding a maximum attainable line speed of 3.9 Mbps. However, you are recieving a configured download speed of 6144 Kbps. Below mentioned are the speeds which are configured after the line stabilisation has been completed.
      Trained in Download speed : 6140 Kbps
      Trained in Upload speed : 797 Kbps
      Configured Download speed : 6144 Kbps
      Configured Upload speed : 800 Kbps
      Max attainable rate down : 7328 Kbps.

Am I hoping for too much or could I go faster. Thanks for reading all this - I do tend to waffle on sometimes

Paul

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: In discussion with Sky Help Centre about slow speed but not getting anywhere

Have you tried the test socket and checked your router stats from there?

How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket - Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky!

You should be getting far more than 6140kbps - I get more than that with an attenuation of 48 - Yours is 37.5 (lower the better)

ADSL2+ Speed Test

We estimate your line is capable of between 9mb to 10mb broadband on an ADSL2+ service. This ADSL2 Line Speed Calculator is a best guess only, as to the broadband speed that maybe possible on your telephone line. The checker provides results of up to 24mb with the data that is made available to us. This is purely for indication only and should not be classed as the Line Speed that you would receive on any ADSL or LLU product from another ISP.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NewsreadeR For This Useful Post:

BigGoff (04-04-12)

Thanks

Re: In discussion with Sky Help Centre about slow speed but not getting anywhere

Thanks for the quick reply and the suggestion.
      I had checked the stats from the test socket but just to be sure I have just tried again. (well 21.55 hrs)
      Results are:
      Connection speed 5831kbps(down) 797kbps (up)
      Line Attenuation 37.0 dB(down) 21. 0dB (up)
      Noise margin 7.6dB(down) 10.1dB (up)
      almost identical to my setup with an extension lead.

I've now reconnected back to how my setup usually is and I think Sky is trying to tell me something.
      Stats are now (22.30 hrs)
      Connection speed 2108kbps(down) 797kbps (up)
      Line Attenuation 39.0 dB(down) 21.6 dB (up)
      Noise margin 7.4dB(down) 11.5dB (up)

I've also received another email from Sky Help Centre ( a third different person!!) asking for info on my setup and saying that my line is capable of 7496 Kbps which I still think is rather low so anymore suggestions are more than welcome

Regards
      Paul

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Line Attenuation 39.0 dB
      Attenuation is basically your line length from the exchange, how can it go up to 39.0 from 37.0 unless you have moved the location of your house.

To me, something is wrong, as you should be getting far better than I am receiving.

Did you unscrew the faceplate?

Have you got any extension sockets etc?

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

Hi NewsreadeR
      Just checked the stats this morning (after rebooting router) and now got:
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 5728 kbps 797 kbps
      Line Attenuation 37.0 dB 21.4 dB
      Noise Margin 8.3 dB 10.3 dB

I did unscrew the master socket to get to the test socket and I have made sure I put it back together properly.

I do have an extension socket which is what I normally use but as I said before the stats from the test socket with nothing else plugged in were almost identical to my usual set up.

I'm glad in one respect you think there is something wrong to - just wish Sky would agree

Thanks for your suggestions - keep 'em coming!

Paul

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Could you check a couple of things for use please.

Could you plug a corded telephone into the Test Socket and perform a 'Quiet Line Test', To do this, dial '1' and listen for any noise. Ideally it should be totally silent, but you may hear some faint background noise. If there is any loud background noise or crackling, this is a problem. Please let us know.

Could you trace your telephone line from the Master Socket to the telegraph pole or were it goes underground please. Do you have any objects connected or trees or busshes near the line? By objects, I am referring to an External box or a BT Junction box (inside or outside). If you have, could you post some photo with the covers removed so that we can help to identify them.

As for connecting your router to the telephone line, ideally you should always use the shortest possible lead. All Sky routers are supplied with a short grey ADSL lead. This is what should be used to connect it. If you are using an extension, please could you try these tests without it as I have seen many cause problems on this forum.

There are ways to connect your computers to the router is it is out of reach for the moment. These include things like long Ethernet cables and HomePlugs.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

BigGoff (05-04-12)

Thanks

Hi Scubbie
      Thanks for taking the time to help me.

Quote "Could you plug a corded telephone into the Test Socket and perform a 'Quiet Line Test' " end quote.

Just tried that and the line is silent .

Quote "Could you trace your telephone line from the Master Socket to the telegraph pole or were it goes underground please" end quote

The line goes from the master socket outside and up to the eaves of the house where there is a white plastic box - pic1

In discussion with Sky Help Centre about slow speed but not getting anywhere-pic1.jpg

The line then leaves the box and goes overhead to the telegraph pole where it disappears into a large box with 7 other lines - pic2

In discussion with Sky Help Centre about slow speed but not getting anywhere-pic2.jpg

There is a large black cable running down the pole that disappears underground. There are no trees or bushes around the area.

Do you think I should try opening the white box up under the eaves and have a look around??

I've just tried connecting the router to the test socket again (with filter and Sky lead) and these are my statistics now:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6140 kbps 797 kbps
      Line Attenuation 37.0 dB 22.5 dB
      Noise Margin 7.3 dB 9.8 dB

I also received this from Sky Help centre earlier - 4th different person (if it helps you)

I checked the speed of your Broadband and the result are as follows:
      Trained In Download Speed 6140 Kbps
      >Trained In Upload Speed 797 Kbps
      >Configured Download Speed 6144 Kbps
      >Configured Upload Speed 800 Kbps
      >Max Attainable Rate Down 7324 Kbps
      I have configured your speed and this is the best speed what I can give you after configuring the Broadband line.

Thanks again for your time and best wishes

Paul

Thanks

If you can safely access that white box, it may reveal old wiring. A photo of the inside might be useful, but if it is unsafe, please don't risk it.

It would be nice to know what type of wiring feeds from there to the master socket, but this would be difficult to gauge with most photos.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

I'm in the middle of painting the outside of the house - or at least was until the weather changed - so I'll get up the ladder in the morning weather permitting and have a look around inside the box and hopefully get a photo or two for you.

Thanks

No problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast