Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

In discussion with Sky Help Centre about slow speed but not getting anywhere

This is a discussion on In discussion with Sky Help Centre about slow speed but not getting anywhere within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I could not get the white box open - seems as if it is glued shut so I thought ...

BigGoff is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stourport, Worcestershire
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: In discussion with Sky Help Centre about slow speed but not getting anywhere

Hi
      I could not get the white box open - seems as if it is glued shut so I thought best to leave it - at least it is probably water-tight.

I've been speaking to someone from Sky technical team today and he has re-configured my line/router to go a little faster (now 7017 kbps). He says that is the best I can get. I wonder if it is because BT are presently upgrading the green boxes around me to FTCC? I have registered with Sky for more info once fibre is available and unless there is anything else simple I can do to my connection I think I'll leave it where it is.

My latest stats are:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7017 kbps 862 kbps
      Line Attenuation 37.0 dB 13.8 dB
      Noise Margin 7.4 dB 8.8 dB

Thanks for everyone's help - I know where to come if I'm in trouble again

Paul

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: In discussion with Sky Help Centre about slow speed but not getting anywhere

No problem regarding the box. Several other members have commented about their connection speeds dropping when BTO have been installing the new cabinets and cabling for FTTC.

Since your line is quiet, the connections will be good. It does mean that it wouldn't be so easy to replace the wiring yourself though.

As for the line reconfiguration, that is an improvement, but not brill. I suspect that there is something else holding things back.

As an attempt to cross the t's and dot the i's, could you confirm that all the extensions were dead when you tested the line with the Test Socket?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

BigGoff is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stourport, Worcestershire
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

I connected the router directly to the test socket using a filter and I had to have a corded phone plugged in aswell so as Sky could talk to me whilst doing the adjustments. There was definitely no extensions connected at the same time and I had removed the bell wire connections some time ago.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Ok. It was worth checking though.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12