Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Like Tree1Likes

Prehistoric speeds!

This is a discussion on Prehistoric speeds! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey. I'm unsure what the policy is on bumping old threads (I know some places don't like it) but I ...

slowasasnail is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

Re: Prehistoric speeds!

Hey. I'm unsure what the policy is on bumping old threads (I know some places don't like it) but I thought it would be more useful to bump a thread that I've posted in before and has all the info etc.

Not a major complaint, but I have noticed a drop in my speed this past month. I have the stats from April in the thread and they're near identical (line attenuation and noise margin) but I've definitely noticed a decrease in speed when downloading and browsing.

As of today:

Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4761 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 54.0 db 34.5 db
      Noise Margin 6.4 db 9.0 db

It did used to be in the 6500 kind of range, wondering what accounts for the decrease?

I am quite limited in terms of speed I realise due to a long line and probably fairly poor wiring, but that 6.5 used to be spot on for my purposes.

If it continues to drop I'll probably look into fibre optic.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Near Portsmouth
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: Prehistoric speeds!

The Line Attenuation has risen from 53dB (post #26) to 54dB. This can be caused by a few different things, but basically the quality of your line has deteriorated. They key thing now would be to find out why so that you can determine if it can be fixed.

Typical issues include: weather damage to the cable; electrical interference from something close to the cable (aka REIN); trees near the telephone cable (overhead = wind damage, underground = routs); installation of Fibre in the local area; deterioration of contacts in/behind socket, junction boxes; old microfilter failing

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234