Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

This is a discussion on Help! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have had Sky Broadband for around 3 years and have been wirelessly using various laptops, iPods and an iPad. ...

richhod is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

I have had Sky Broadband for around 3 years and have been wirelessly using various laptops, iPods and an iPad.

The wifi wouldn't work at all today, nothing showing up on any of my devices. I rang Sky who tested my router and said that there was a fault with the power cable, so they are sending me a new one.

He also said that my router should be connected directly to phone socket, with the splitter being the first thing plugged in. I have now moved my router, but this will no longer be connected to my pc, which it was via an Ethernet cable. The guy said my wireless would be more reliable if I plugged an adaptor straight into the I router. He said I could buy one from sky for 60, but it would be cheaper to find one elsewhere. Only problem is, I don't really have a clue what I am looking for, or which would be compatable.

What should I be looking for?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Near Portsmouth
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: Help!

There is a range of choices available to extend your home network. Take a look at the document in this thread to see if it helps. Feel free to ask for more specific advice if needed:

Extending your Home Network

As for connecting your router, ideally you should have it connected to the Master socket, using the short grey ADSL lead supplied with the router. If you have any hard wired extensions, consider using a filtered faceplate.

Moving the router won't improve the WiFi signal, but will likely improve the Internet connection speed. WiFi speed/signal strength is dependant on the position of the router in relation to what you are connecting. Your Sagem 2504 is a WiFi g router. A better choice would be a WiFi n router (i.e. Sagem 2504N).

When you have sorted out your connection, please post your router's connection stats and perhaps we can suggest things to be done further. If you have any hard wired extensions, please use the Test Socket if you have one.

Sky User - How to test your Master Socket

How to get your router statistics - Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky!