Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

sky broken firmware original V1 router V1.04.13

This is a discussion on sky broken firmware original V1 router V1.04.13 within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I understand that the older firmware does not support WPA2 and it doesn't support Sky's implementation of MER . The ...

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: sky broken firmware original V1 router V1.04.13

I understand that the older firmware does not support WPA2 and it doesn't support Sky's implementation of MER. The new firmware does fix both of these.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      itype is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke, THBZ
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

But in return it breaks the DHCP table which is a massive pain in the behind tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I understand that the older firmware does not support WPA2 and it doesn't support Sky's implementation of MER. The new firmware does fix both of these.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

I was not defending the damage which has been caused by the update, merely pointing out what benefits the update was meant to bring, rather than just suggest "the update is to fix a security issue with the wifi".

Sky would like more moved across to MER but I guess that there are many who are using their own routers which is making it a little difficult.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by espio View Post
      How would that work if you don't mind me asking? Would I need to use a custom firmware on the router?
      No it works on unmodified Sky firmware.

I've been using a little hack for a few years on mine to make it auto enable telnet whenever it is rebooted. I've just modified it to run a script instead, which will be stored in the router's non-volitile ram.

And I've created a simple script to make the firmware update job lie about the firmware version

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy logic View Post
      For what it is worth, I've found a way of stopping the firmware update that also survives a reboot, and all without creating a firmware mod.

It should even be possible to still allow any future updates, just in case Sky pay Netgear to fix it!

I've now got to add it to my router plugin.
      Ok, I've added an option to run a user defined script when the sky dg834gt attempts to establish a PPP connection.

You'll need to run my plug in (link at bottom), Select upload dgstats, open the router UI in your browser, or reload it if you've already got the page open, and select the "Extra" option on the router's side menu, and paste your script into the "Script to run before connect" and click enable.

You can use this to either kill the firmware update task (provisioning_ap) or change the firmware version number.

The following script/command will stop the update task running (I'd recommend using this option if your router hasn't already been upgraded to the broken firmware, as it is possible that sky's update server might try to downgrade routers that have prematurely upgraded):-

Code:
      killall provisioning_ap
      If you prefer to modify the version number of the firmware use the following line (this only changes the version number if the last version is installed (it will show up as V1.04.13 in the router's UI as well) this will allow the router to update itself if a new (hopefully fixed) version is ever released:-

Code:
      cd /etc;if [ "$(cat version)" = "A1.03.87" ] ;then echo "A1.04.13">version;fi
      isitme has provided a link to download the 1.03.87 firmware in a previous post. EDIT: If you need to flash your router, then I'd recommend rebooting it before flashing.

The script + hack will survive a reboot, you can remove it using my program, or by a factory reset, or via telnet.

The script won't get to run if the router's phone line is not plugged in, so if you ever do something in your script that stops you accessing the router UI, reboot the router with the phone line unplugged and you'll be able to log in to the router back-up your settings and factory reset it.

I'm using the following script which also enables telnet

Code:
      cd /etc;if [ "$(cat version)" = "A1.03.87" ] ;then echo "A1.04.13">version;fi;if [ ! -f 1st ] ;then touch 1st; else exit;fi;utelnetd -d -l /bin/sh
      Last edited by fuzzy logic; 29-06-12 at 05:18 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fuzzy logic For This Useful Post:

Isitme (29-06-12),itype (29-06-12),Max_UK (23-07-12)

itype is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke, THBZ
      Thanks

Will try this as soon as possible mate, cheers.

EzyRyder86 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

HI guys, sorry to hijack the thread, I've had a similar problem with 1.04.13 and sent them an email complaining. Today I get one back saying a new routers on the way, so it does work! Their still charging me postage of 2 quid but I can live with that!

kan.grewal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dudley
      Thanks

Who did you email? My email simply resulted in them telling me to get a new router off them for 35!

EzyRyder86 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

I sent it to their complaints department instead of broadband support. I basically told them that A) the firmware update is broken and I know it, they know it, and everybody in this thread knows it, and B) I refuse to pay out of pocket for their screw up. I got the email back next day saying there's a new router on its way. I used to work for a notorious competitor who told us never to replace gear unless it came from Complaints, that way they can write it off. To be honest I did it all the time lol

ginganinga is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EzyRyder86 View Post
      I sent it to their complaints department instead of broadband support. I basically told them that A) the firmware update is broken and I know it, they know it, and everybody in this thread knows it, and B) I refuse to pay out of pocket for their screw up. I got the email back next day saying there's a new router on its way. I used to work for a notorious competitor who told us never to replace gear unless it came from Complaints, that way they can write it off. To be honest I did it all the time lol
      Good tip - thanks EzyRyder

Wish I'd thought of that - I had to pay and got the disclaimer about how Sky don't support DHCP

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast