Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

sky broken firmware original V1 router V1.04.13

This is a discussion on sky broken firmware original V1 router V1.04.13 within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; just a quick update, received a random email this morning saying they have agreed to replace my router free of ...

elim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Winchmore Hill
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: sky broken firmware original V1 router V1.04.13

just a quick update, received a random email this morning saying they have agreed to replace my router free of charge

hopefully its the 2504n

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Well done. Do let us know what you get.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

ginganinga is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elim View Post
      just a quick update, received a random email this morning saying they have agreed to replace my router free of charge

hopefully its the 2504n
      You say that you have been with Sky since launch, so I assume your router is well and truly out of warranty. Do u have some sort of service contract or are they charging you for your new router?

I spoke to customer service tonight who took a very hard line with me, telling me it is MY router now & if I want to fix it, it will have to be a new router which I must purchase from them!

Since they refuse to allow me to use my own router, and it is SKY who broke this one, surely it is SKY's responsibility to provide me with a working router?! ...I would be happy with either a replacement router, or a reversion of the firmware to something that works. Is that unreasonable?

Thanks

Whilst your argument is totally logical and reasonable, I suspect that somewhere in the T&Cs it will state that you have to allow the router to automatically update it self.

Since Sky does not currently punish people for using their own routers, could I suggest that you consider the feasibility of extracting the log in details from your router and either flashing it with non-Sky firmware or using another router entirely.

I would also suggest that you check the SkyUser forum for the thread on getting a copy of the router's current firmware & settings. This way you could recover the DG834GT to it's current set up.

Just to note: Sky appears to have recently changed many lines from being either PPPoA or MER to one or the other now. If you router is connecting via MER I would first borrow a suitable router from a friend to see if you can get it to connect on your line before you proceed too far.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Whilst your argument is totally logical and reasonable, I suspect that somewhere in the T&Cs it will state that you have to allow the router to automatically update it self.

Since Sky does not currently punish people for using their own routers, could I suggest that you consider the feasibility of extracting the log in details from your router and either flashing it with non-Sky firmware or using another router entirely.

I would also suggest that you check the SkyUser forum for the thread on getting a copy of the router's current firmware & settings. This way you could recover the DG834GT to it's current set up.

Just to note: Sky appears to have recently changed many lines from being either PPPoA or MER to one or the other now. If you router is connecting via MER I would first borrow a suitable router from a friend to see if you can get it to connect on your line before you proceed too far.
      Thought I'd try the official route first, but I have checked with another router and all is fine re PPPoA - only issue being that my replacement doesn't seem to be able to make the most of my useless line and my already meagre 4M sync at 7db SNR drops to 3M sync at 3db

... so I have been searching the past few days to find an image of the 1.04.13 firmware or a way of extracting it from my router, but cannot find anything. Please can you point me in the direction of the instructions you mention for copying current firmware before flashing?

Thanks

Try this thread first: Firmware image editing tool for the DG834GT / Sagem F@ST / Broadcom-based routers

I can't test it personally but mrmt32 is very good and will help if required.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Try this thread first: Firmware image editing tool for the DG834GT / Sagem F@ST / Broadcom-based routers

I can't test it personally but mrmt32 is very good and will help if required.
      Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. This thread is talking about editing image files. I don't have an image file - and even when I do have it, I'm not sure I want to get into editing it.

I would like to either find an image of v1.04.13 online or somehow extract it from the Sky router that I have now - so I can edit/tweak it, just so that I have it (the official Sky firmware) in case I need to flash back to official Sky setup at a later date... so I believe I'm looking for a thread like you refer to here:

check the SkyUser forum for the thread on getting a copy of the router's current firmware & settings. This way you could recover the DG834GT to it's current set up
      ..but perhaps you mean something else?

Thanks

Oh phooey! I've just searched using 'clone dg834gt' and found the thread I was thinking of. It is actually for the DG934G. Sorry.

Cloned my Sky DG934 Router

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I don't think you need to worry about the latest firmware, if you get a copy of the V1.03.87 which is the one you had before it was updated, that would do. It will update to the latest some time after you go on line. You will get it here.
      ftp://77.240.11.50/
      itype likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I emailed Sky and they have told me that my only option is to purchase their "new Wireless N Router"

Does anyone know if this is any good on long lines?

I'm on old Easynet exchange equipment. After years of tweaking, I have managed to improve my original 500k/7dB to the following (which I am keen to protect or improve further on):

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4982 kbps 474 kbps
      Line Attenuation 53.5 db 35.7 db
      Noise Margin 6.3 db 11.0 db

...and does the DHCP reservation feature work on whatever this new router is that they sell?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast