Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Broadband slowdowns after switching to Sky Line Rental

This is a discussion on Broadband slowdowns after switching to Sky Line Rental within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I would like to resolve a problem with my broadband service regarding the downstream speed. I've noticed at night time ...

soneman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Broadband slowdowns after switching to Sky Line Rental

I would like to resolve a problem with my broadband service regarding the downstream speed.

I've noticed at night time that the downstream speed can slow down to less than 1 Megabyte even though the Sky Router reports the downstream speed as 6 Megabytes. I've tried different speed tester websites with all giving the same poor result. I've done ping tests as well going as high as 126ms which again is a poor result.

The only way to rectify this problem is for me to reboot the Sky Router. At which point I regain the 6 Megabyte downstream speed from the speed tester websites and as a result ping tests speed up dramatically as well.

I've only experienced this problem since I got my Line Rental moved to Sky on 7th March 2012. I can tell you that my broadband connection downstream speed was 7763 Kbps as reported by the Sky Router on 6th March 2012.

I've somehow lost 1 Megabyte of downstream speed and night time web browsing is becoming unacceptable because of the slow pings.

Is there a problem going on here with network congestion? Because I never had problems like this when my Line Rental was with BT.

I'm becoming a bit concerned now that perhaps I should not have taken up the Sky Line Rental. My Sky Broadband connection was flawless prior to the switching of the Line Rental to Sky and like I said earlier I was getting higher and more consistent downstream speeds when the Line Rental was with BT.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Broadband slowdowns after switching to Sky Line Rental

Stats please? Before and after ideally
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Are you using wireless or ethernet?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Devotchka is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi, I work for Sky as a CST agent as well as floor support, here are the steps needed to resolve this issue:

Firstly, have you tested your D/L, ping, SNR etc without the phone plugged in? If not give it a blast!
      Next thing to do, which you may already have, but make sure you have the proper setup:

NTE5 socket-------Microfilter-------TV splitter--------Phone
      |
      |
      |
      Router
      Test your stats with this setup, see if there is any change.
      Next thing, if there is still a loss of speed, switch over your Microfilter for a replacement, then plug into test socket behind BT cover (if you have one).
      If this still hasnt resolved it, give us a call in as it isnt uncommon for a LR switch to us to drop speeds and up pings, we can try and reconfigure your line and profile.

Cheers!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Okay, here are the stats when the Line Rental was with BT (before it switched to Sky):

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7763 kbps 767 kbps
      Line Attenuation 42.0 db 24.4 db
      Noise Margin 7.5 db 16.2 db

And here are the stats after the Line Rental switched to Sky:

Connection Speed 6140 kbps 767 kbps

It says in My Sky that Line Testing started on 7th March 2012 and this was completed on 19th March 2012 and that the results of the testing concludes that the maximum speed my line can support is 6.1 Mbps Downstream and 0.8 Mbps Upstream.

Nothing has changed in my physical setup in terms of the internal wiring or Router setup. In fact, my broadband connection has been excellent since the day it was first activated about 18 months ago so I know that nothing is wrong with the physical setup in my home.

I have the Router connected via wired Ethernet to a PC and a PS3. I also have the Router connected wirelessly to a Laptop. Slowdowns occur through both the wired Ethernet and the Wireless connection.

Iíve contacted Technical Support about this already who have told me that they have tried to reconfigure the line profile. Iíve just noticed this morning that the speed has jumped up to 6.6 Mbps as per the stats below:

Connection Speed 6659 kbps 767 kbps

Speed tester websites are reporting downstream speeds of 5.6 Mbps now although the pings have slowed down slightly.

Hopefully the speed will improve more soon as Iím going to get back in touch with Tech Support to report the sudden increase in downstream speed.

One thing Iíve noticed since the Line Rental switched to Sky is that my connection type is now MER whereas before it was PPPoA. Iím guessing this has happened because Iíve been moved onto new exchange equipment. But does this have any significance on the broadband connection itself?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Have you checked to see if your exchange is one of those having problems-
      Intermittent broadband connection issues for a small number of Sky Broadband customer

Also check this section to see if your exchange is mentioned.
      Sky Broadband Service Status

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Have you checked to see if your exchange is one of those having problems-
      Intermittent broadband connection issues for a small number of Sky Broadband customer

Also check this section to see if your exchange is mentioned.
      Sky Broadband Service Status
      I've just checked both those links and my exchange is not having any problems.

boothy_08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oldham
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 120Mbps
      Router: Superhub 2 VM
      Sky TV: Freeview TV
      Thanks

Seems the equipment being used is now the not so good equipment, same happened to me when i was on sky, only way i got my speed back up there was by using a D-Link router sky supplied. Sagem did sync at 8Mbps but after switched to sky line rental it went down to around 6.4Mbps.