Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Keep losing Sky Connection

This is a discussion on Keep losing Sky Connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I notice that I am losing the connection maybe twice a day. No precise data but there seems to be ...

nheather is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carfax, Horsham (SDHRSHM)
      Broadband ISP: Paying more to get Unlimited so that I get the same service as the MID I signed up for
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Keep losing Sky Connection

I notice that I am losing the connection maybe twice a day. No precise data but there seems to be a good chance that if I come to use the internet after a few hours of non use (say first thing in the morning) there is no connection.

The router shows a green internet connection but cannot negotiate with the server - status is stuck at 'LCP is allowed to come up'.

Nothing I have tried from the computer/router config can sort the problem out. Instead have to resort to power down/up of router which fixes it every time.

Any ideas - seems to be a Sky problem rather than a BT wiring as the connection is reported as good, present and fully sync'ed. It just the server negotiation that is failing.

First thing this morning I couldn't connect at all although the line was up - rebooted the router and everything was fine - back to fast service.

I've been out all day and have just returned. I checked on the internet connection and was at first was pleased - it was up and fully connected. However, this turned to dismay when I found it so slow - router reported a sync of 7200 and a NM of 6.9dB (pretty normal for my line).

Again I rebooted the router and immediately got my full speeds back again.

Any ideas about this - Sky is great when its connected but I can't put up with having to reboot the router so often - if it continues I shall have to cancel.

I will ring Support tomorrow but don't hold out much hope - I suspect they will get to a part in the script where they deduce the router is faulty - but I don't beleive it is.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. Advertisement
      dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

hi

yup u have same problem as myself [seems to be when i shut pc or laptop down then router decides to stop working ,reboot and its fine definetly something wrong with a batch of routers or ther fiirm ware is needing debugged let us know if sky are any use when u phone them [ps its not just wireless but ethernet as well in my case

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Are you on Connect by any chance?

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Thanks

hi

i'm on llu and 16 meg [noticed that my noise goes below 6 db when i resign onto pc but if i reboot it goes up to 6.9-7.2 db]

JAMES4578 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: HALFWAY
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Thanks

James

Nigel

I have had Sky broadband since end Of August and have similar problem. In my case usually happens about 9 in the evening and quickly resolved by rebooting but frustrating if bearable. Sky have been in contact, so hopefully will find a resolutiuon as you would have thought teething problems would have been sorted out by now. Notice that someone suggested in another thread to use older router. I actually do have another netgear router I used previously with other ISP, though I know that many were saying you could only use the sky branded one earlier on and so I used the one sky provided. What do others think as there may be problems with the routers.

I have always been connected for a while before experiencing problems and average speed is around 6-7 Mb on Max which I would be happy enouigh about if stable. However, accoding to test link provided in this forum I should be getting double that and I am very close to my exchange (450m).

Hopefully things will improve.

James

ellies14me is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Willenhall (01902)
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I have been having the same problem as you guys and I am on the max.
      My exchange should be able to provide 8meg at the moment.

Have you altered the settings on the router with regard to UPnP ?..... see the advice in other postings here.

After registering a complaint with the helpline on the 22nd September, they finally got back to me today!!! Couldn't believe it... I was cutting the lawn when my wife called me back into the house.

Anyway, the helpful guy explained that the outages are being caused by a problem at the exchange and the reliability depends on exactly how many are using YOUR exchange at the time.

Seems to me they have a major problem to de-bug with BT, but he assured me they were on the case and the situation would be sorted soon.

Oh!......how about your Sky log-in page then I asked ? That's the one I can still not get into to set-up my e.mails after being told it was being fixed two weeks ago!!! They are sending me a new password to sort that one out.

When the service works, it is fast - upto 6meg has been my highest speed so far, but these outages of service need to be sorted quickly or others will start cancelling on mass.

Ian.

Broadband ISP: Paying more to get Unlimited so that I get the same service as the MID I signed up for
      Thanks

Yep, going to try another router - it could indeed be linked to logging off my machine.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thanks

Now running on my old router.

Reported sync is slower and reported attenuation is lower.

Download speeds measured using kbps.co.uk seem about the same.

I'll let you know whether it is more stable.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thanks

UPDATE
      ======

Checked this morning and old router is still up and performing well - this is longer than the Sky Router has ever stayed up.

Will keep you updated.

Cheers,

Nigel

GPKing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aylesbury
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I have been on Sky BB since August and had no end of problems in the first 3 weeks. These have now been more or less resolved except the very same problem with the connection dropping (ie ability to access the Internet stops) periodically. This usually happens once or twice a day.

Ok, so having to reboot the router is not exactly the end of the world, but I thought one of the key things with broadband was an "always on" connection!

Anyway, I did some research on the Netgear router (DG834GT) and it has a history of this problem - even before Sky started using it. That begs the question of why the hell did Sky decide to roll out their BB with this model?

@Nigel - please could you continue to update us on the stability and performance of your old router (plus anyone else that is using an alternative router). It would be very interesting to see Sky's reaction if it can be proved 100% that the DG834GT is a "heap of junk".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast