Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Where did my extra 2mbps just come from?

This is a discussion on Where did my extra 2mbps just come from? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; i just tried it. went from: down 19999kbps @ 6.5db to 19728kbps @ 7.1db up 1168kbps @ 8.8db to 1161kbps ...

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Where did my extra 2mbps just come from?

i just tried it.

went from:

down 19999kbps @ 6.5db to 19728kbps @ 7.1db
      up 1168kbps @ 8.8db to 1161kbps @ 8.7db

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      i just tried it.

went from:

down 19999kbps @ 6.5db to 19728kbps @ 7.1db
      up 1168kbps @ 8.8db to 1161kbps @ 8.7db
      I don't think it will have been applied to all lines, mine isn't, it may only be those who are going through DLM again. If you reboot in the morning when the noise on the lines is low, you will probably get your speed back.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

yes it seems i can reboot @ 7.3db every morning & get full sync at will.

was just an experiment really & also to see if i had less errors at a higher noise margin. i can't actually test for this (ps3 browser) but hoped for more consistent pings using the routers diagnostic tool.

each set of 4 packets to 212.58.241.131 can vary between 23.7-29.1, although usually 24-25. i guess this is jitter? it didn't seem to alter things though, so a reboot in the morning it is

Sibling Chris is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leabrooks
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

when I am clear of the 10 day testing period I will check the noise margin at sync time to see what it is for me

Right now I don't want to keep rebooting the router and cause Sky to think there might be a problem

My conneciton has been stable and consistent now since middle of last week with speedtest.net showing I'm getting between 5 and 5.3 mbps depending on the time of day.

Considering BT reckoned I could only get 3mbps on my line I am pretty happy with this
      Thanks Sky!

By the way, I read somehwere hereabouts that D-Link routers tend to sync quite a bit higher than the netgear and sagem routers. Is that correct?
      Do sky supply d-link routers now, or would I have to do this myself? (which is strictly speaking not allowed by sky)

cheers
      sc

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sibling Chris View Post
      By the way, I read somewhere hereabouts that D-Link routers tend to sync quite a bit higher than the netgear and sagem routers. Is that correct?
      Do sky supply d-link routers now, or would I have to do this myself? (which is strictly speaking not allowed by sky)
      There are 3 different Sky routers made by Sagem:
      1. Sagem 2504
      2. Sagem 2304n
      3. Sagem 2504N

The D-Link 2640S may sync better with some exchanges compared to the Sagem 2504, but there is not evidence which has been posted on this forum to support the argument for the Sagem 2304n or the Sagem 2504N. There are two type of LLU equipment that Sky uses and I don't know which would be better for the D-Link myself.

On my connection the Sagem 2304n synced better than the Netgear DG934G.

The D-Link 2640S, Netgear DG934G and Sagem 2504 are all WiFi g routers. Sky may supply either one (of the Sagem 2304n) if you have an existing WiFi g router that fails. It will be a reconditioned router. alternatively visit eBay to see if you can get a D-Link router there.

If you want the Sagem 2504N and don't currently have one, then for 35 Sky will supply you one.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Sibling Chris is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leabrooks
      Thanks

Thanks for that.

So basically, it's "suck it and see" then?

Given my stats I would be really surprised if there is any more speed to get from my line to be honest and I certainly don't need wifi N...although it would be nice in some respects

I wait and see how it settles down after line testing before I do any more I think

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There was a thread on the Forum by a member who had 'trialed' various routers to find out which was best, I can't remember the conclusion, but it also depends on what exchange equipment you are connected to. Some one may recall the thread and point you to it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234