Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Some pages and videos not loading.

This is a discussion on Some pages and videos not loading. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone, I've recently switched to Sky and have Sky+, phone, line rental and broadband with them. I was previously ...

jimmyplops is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Some pages and videos not loading.

Hi everyone, I've recently switched to Sky and have Sky+, phone, line rental and broadband with them. I was previously with Orange for broadband. My speeds used to be around 2.2Mbps and have now increased to around 7 which I am of course pleased with. However, since moving to Sky I have problems viewing some sites. Some sites don't load at all and the activity indicator in Firefox just keeps spinning round. Some sites seem to load properly but the indicator keeps spinning and a few sites work fine. I never had any problems with Orange.

My set-up is as follows: From the master socket in the hall, an extension (fitted by Sky years ago when we first got Sky TV) goes from the socket, through the wall, outside around the back of the house and back inside through the wall into the living room. On the end of the extension I have a microfilter with a phone, Sky router and Sky+ box attached. Upstairs is a phone socket with 1 phone connected through a microfilter.

I have a PC downstairs, 1 upstairs and an Android phone. Both PCs connect wirelessly. The phone works fine with speeds around 7Mbps, the downstairs computer usually works fine (with the same speeds) but sometimes pages don't finish loading. BBC News seems to be the only site where the activity indicator keeps spinning when the page has loaded, and videos work 95% of the time at that site. iPlayer and Youtube videos work fine.

The upstairs PC, however, only gets speed of around 3.5Mbps. I'm not particularly bothered about the speed reduction on this PC, the main problem is pages not loading. A few sites load with no problems. A lot of sites load (although some only partially) but the activity indicator keeps spinning (in the corner of Firefox it says 'Waiting for www.______.com'. And on a few sites pages don't load at all, apart from the name of the website in the title bar and the website URL and icon in the address bar. In the corner of Firefox it says 'Waiting for www._____.com' so they must be making some sort of connection. The Eurodroid site is one example of this (it works fine on the downstairs PC and my phone).

Sometimes Google searches don't finish loading, but a few refreshes usually fixes them. BBC News works most of the time but videos don't. iPlayer works. Right now BBC News isn't even loading and says 'Waiting for news.bbcimg.co.uk'. Youtube usually works although sometimes videos only load partially, so I have to drag the timeline past that point, then it loads again - partially. Twitter pages load fine, but the actual column of tweets doesn't load and there's just an activity indicator going round where they should load. Even the router page doesn't load on the upstairs PC (192.168.0.1), it just says 'Waiting for 192.168.0.1' in the corner of Firefox. Again, it loads fine on the downstairs PC and phone.

I thought there must be something wrong with this PC, but it worked perfectly before switching to Sky. I have a feeling the USB ports on the upstairs PC are not 2.0, but then again, this shouldn't matter as it worked fine before. I'm absolutely baffled! I've spent a fair while looking for answers online but nothing has worked.

These are the things I have tried: It can't be the extension because I've tried the router directly in the master socket (and test socket) and the upstairs socket. I've tried changing the DNS in TCP/IP to OpenDNS, Comodo and Google DNS. I've even reinstalled Windows (XP) and have downloaded the newest version of Java and Flash. Left the router unplugged overnight. Changed wifi channels. Tried different browsers (IE, Chrome and Opera). Moved the router to a couple of feet away from the wireless adapter (no ethernet port on upstairs PC to try, although downstairs has one). Closed Comodo Internet Security (antivirus and firewall).

When I first turned the router on, neither PC could detect my wifi signal but my phone could, so I changed the broadcast mode from 'Auto' to '54g performance' and they can both see and connect fine now (if I turn it back to 'Auto' they still stay connected, but the network isn't visible in the list of available networks). My PC wireless adapters are 802.11g, so maybe that's why they couldn't pick the signal up in 'Auto' mode if it was broadcasting in 'n' as well. So, any ideas?! Any help massively, greatly, hugely appreciated!

And sorry it's such a long post, but I thought it better to include the details to save people wasting their time asking things when I could just put it all down there first.

2. Advertisement
      boothy_08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oldham
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 120Mbps
      Router: Superhub 2 VM
      Sky TV: Freeview TV
      Thanks

Re: Some pages and videos not loading.

wireless settings:

wireless mode: no point using N at all if you dont get 20mbps, coz 54mbps can easily get you 7mbps. so wireless mode b/g if there is 1.
      wireless channel: 11

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Try downloading Inssider from the link below. Use it to discover the channels in use in your area. Set yours to one as far from those in use as possible. Naming a certain channel to use is pointless as it could be in use by many networks around you. The only named channel that often works is No 13, as not many use it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi guys, thanks a lot for your replies. And sorry for the late response.

I've tried what you've both suggested but no luck. I didn't download inSSIDer as I have been using the 'Wifi Analyzer' ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...analyzer&hl=en ) app on my phone (which I'm guessing does the same thing). All the channels near me are around 1-6, although if I watch the screen for a few seconds (first screenshot on the above link), sometimes a couple of others come and go around channels 5-13, although their signal strength is nowhere near as strong as mine. I've put some screenshots from Wifi Analyzer at the bottom of this post. I've also tried changing mine to 1, 6 and 11 today, but have left it on 13 now.

It seems odd I can't even connect to my router on the problem PC. I can connect fine on the downstairs PC and on my phone. I didn't think connecting to the router even needed an internet connection, yet I can get on the internet!

Also, sometimes instead of saying 'Waiting for www.___.com' it says 'Transferring data from www.___.com' yet the same thing happens - the activity indicator keeps turning but the page doesn't load. The wireless icon in the in the taskbar by the clock does stays empty (I mean like how when data is downloading the screen of the wireless icon lights up).

I've also just tried changing the broadcast mode to '54g auto' (best compatability it says) and also '54g LRS'. Absolutely no difference.

Wifi Analyzer screenhots (mine is Skyuser):
      http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/921...0326105921.png
      http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/9...0326105913.png
      http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/782...0326105852.png
      http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/1...0326105840.png

Exchange:
      Thanks

Nobody got any ideas? It's still happening and both PCs play up at times, but one is definitely worse.

Thanks

Are you using USB adapters? If so have you tried swapping them round? Can you borrow another adapter to try?

My set-up is as follows: From the master socket in the hall, an extension (fitted by Sky years ago when we first got Sky TV) goes from the socket, through the wall, outside around the back of the house and back inside through the wall into the living room. On the end of the extension I have a microfilter with a phone, Sky router and Sky+ box attached
      Although it is not the root of your problem, this type of setup is very bad for broadband. Unless the extension is a quality twisted pair cable you will be loosing speed and stability and if it was fitted by Sky TV fitters, I doubt if it will be. Its more likely to be a flat twin cable which will pick up a lot of interference.The router should preferably be plugged into the master socket using a filter. If this is not possible plugging into a fixed extension socket is second best.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi, thanks for the speedy reply. I am using USB adapters (Netgear WG111 - quite old now although no problems before switching to Sky) and have tried swapping them around. I don't know if I can borrow another adapter but I can borrow a Mac laptop to test things on.

I have also tried the router in the main socket (and test socket) using a filter. I unplugged everything else, so that was the only thing plugged in throughout the whole house. The extension doesn't seem to make any difference - I tried doing a speedtest and there was no difference in speeds whether plugged into the main socket or extension. I've also tried it plugged into the upstairs fixed extension socket, but again, no difference. Could the Sky line rental have anything to do with it?

Wired.co.uk is one site that rarely loads, this morning it didn't work on the downstairs PC either which usually has no problems. Trying it on my phone (connected to the wifi) a few minutes later it loaded perfectly. I thought it must be a problem with the line, but then my phone works perfectly. I don't see what can have changed from just swapping to Sky that stops the PCs working as they did before.

Thanks

I tried doing a speedtest and there was no difference in speeds whether plugged into the main socket or extension.
      If your speed is capped down due to errors you will not see any difference in the speed. It is mainly the noise margin which shows what you can get. If you can take your stats from where you are plugged in now - How to get your router statistics - Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky! and post them, then take them from the Test socket and post them we will give you an idea of what the position is. Sky User - How to test your Master Socket

You can do these tests using wireless.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

I can't access the router on this PC (just get the same 'waiting for...' notice in Firefox), but will do it using the downstairs PC this evening. Thankyou for your time, I really appreciate it.

For what it's worth, I've just tried accessing wired.co.uk through a proxy (hidemyass) and it actually loaded on this PC, albeit VERY slowly. And when I say 'this PC', I mean the upstairs one with the most problems.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Here are the router stats. While I was there I connected the downstairs PC to the router via ethernet - the master socket is in a different room to the PC so I plugged a filter into the master socket then used a long RJ11 cable from the filter to the router, which I connected to the PC via a short ethernet cable.

I did a speedtest and it was basically the same as on wifi but, every page I visited loaded fine and finished loading. Not one instance of the activity indicator still spinning. Bearing in made I have no problems with pages loading on my phone, is it possible there could be a problem with my wireless adapters not getting on with the Sky router? They're quite old and don't support N (although I'm not broadcasting in N). I will try and find a more modern adapter I can borrow. Anyway, here are the router stats:

Router in living room on the end of Sky extension (that goes from the master socket, outside the house then back into the living room):
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 9215 kbps 852 kbps
      Line Attenuation 36.5 dB 20.1 dB
      Noise Margin 5.9 dB 9.0 dB

Router in master socket:
      Connection Speed 9215 kbps 838 kbps
      Line Attenuation 36.0 dB 19.9 dB
      Noise Margin 9.3 dB 9.0 dB

Router connected to PC via ethernet (router on a long RJ11 extension from master socket to router):
      Connection Speed 8125 kbps 842 kbps
      Line Attenuation 41.0 dB 23.3 dB
      Noise Margin 4.9 dB 9.0 dB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast