Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Some pages and videos not loading.

This is a discussion on Some pages and videos not loading. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; The noise margin in the Master socket shows you are loosing a bit of speed with your extension. You could ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Some pages and videos not loading.

The noise margin in the Master socket shows you are loosing a bit of speed with your extension. You could possibly get another couple of MB.
      Likewise the poor results using the long RJ11 cable show that the cable is not performing very well at all. Is it a flat type similar to a telephone extension? I have seen these advertised as 'high speed' broadband cable, but they are not. You are better of using a long telephone extension. If you are using a long RJ it should be properly made from twisted pair cable and I would not recommend anything over 15M. More than that you are better with a long ethernet cable and keep the RJ11 short.

It is quite likely you adapters need upgrading. If your router is set to Auto it should be using N with a speed of 144mbps.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      jimmyplops is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

The RJ11 cable is like the grey one that came from Sky (connects router to filter), although a lot longer. I only just tried that to see if pages loaded properly using ethernet, and they did. So it must surely be a problem with either Windows or the hardware (adapters).

Pages load fine on my phone and I tried a few sites on a Mac laptop and they loaded perfectly as well - the only problem is with the two Windows PCs using adapters. These are the adapters I'm using http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-WG11...238697-9233949 I probably bought them around 2003, give or take a year.

It's strange I can't connect to the router on one PC, and that wired.co.uk doesn't load unless I do it through a proxy. Yet on the Mac and Android phone it loads fine first time. Although the website name does load in the address bar, so it must connect but it just can't load. I've managed to find a newer wireless adapter I can borrow so I'll report back! I've done numerous searches online and had no luck.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The RJ11 cable is like the grey one that came from Sky (connects router to filter), although a lot longer. I only just tried that to see if pages loaded properly using ethernet, and they did. So it must surely be a problem with either Windows or the hardware (adapters).
      As I said previously, this is not the root of your problem. I was pointing out that you could get a better speed from the internet than you do. Long flat twin RJ11 cables are a waste of money.

Wired loads instantly for me. I think it may be the fact that it is quite heavy on the graphics that is slowing it down for you.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

jimmyplops is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Having borrowed a wireless N adapter I can now confirm everything is loading perfectly. So for some reason my old G adapters didn't get on with the Sky router, even when it was broadcasting in G.

Thanks for all your help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12