Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.


    Advertisement

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 17

    At the end of my tether with Sky broadband after 4 months of issues.

    This is a discussion on At the end of my tether with Sky broadband after 4 months of issues. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I'm an avid viewer of sky user but never post until now. Ive been with sky TV for 23 ...

    1. #1
      Odyssey's Avatar
      Odyssey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Droylsden M43
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Feb 2012
      Posts
      6
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      At the end of my tether with Sky broadband after 4 months of issues.

      Hi, I'm an avid viewer of sky user but never post until now.

      Ive been with sky TV for 23 years, had my phone and broadband with them for 7 years, My average speed at home is 1.6mb and it's been like that for years.

      I called sky asking if they could increase my speed somehow which they did to a max of 3.1mb which was amazing considering my low speed before but then the trouble started, it slowly crept down to 1.6mb again over a few months, last night I called sky again and after two hours on the phone to various people it went even worse!

      These are my stats...

      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN MER 47773 939122 0 46 84 3:02:30
      LAN Up 346729 558791 0 9 39 26:46:12
      WLAN Up 787339 565184 0 7892 912 26:45:50
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3123 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 52.0 dB 32.6 dB
      Noise Margin 6.9 dB 16.0 dB

      What I can't understand is my uncle lives further from my exchange than me, he's on the same estate as me though and he gets a constant 4.5mb with BT, Sky told me they are legally tied to provide me with between 3.9mb and 5.0mb.

      This is a very short version of what's been going on with sky over the months, I'm on the latest silver router, I just need some direction on what to do.


    2. Advertisement
    3. #2
      NewsreadeR's Avatar
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Aug 2006
      Location
      St Helens
      Posts
      22,211
      Thanks
      108
      Thanked 373 Times in 304 Posts
      Blog Entries
      48

      Re: At the end of my tether with Sky broadband after 4 months of issues.

      last night I called sky again and after two hours on the phone to various people it went even worse!
      I am a little confused, your router is synching at 3.1 meg but you say that is worse?

      What was it synching at before you rang them last night?

      Have you tried your test socket to see if the stats increase?

      How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket - Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky!

      Where are you getting the 1.6 figure from?




      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

      Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

    4. #3
      Odyssey's Avatar
      Odyssey is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Droylsden M43
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Feb 2012
      Posts
      6
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: At the end of my tether with Sky broadband after 4 months of issues.

      Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      I am a little confused, your router is synching at 3.1 meg but you say that is worse?

      What was it synching at before you rang them last night?

      Have you tried your test socket to see if the stats increase?

      How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket - Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky!

      Where are you getting the 1.6 figure from?
      It is now at 3.1 after calling sky again as the router kept dropping out.

      Before that it had dropped to 750kb.

      I have no test socket in my house.

      1.6 meg wa m average speed for years.

      What I'm getting at is how can someone further from my exchange than me get 1.5mb more than me? And if sky arent upholding there point of sale speed of between 3.9mb and 5mb they are legally required to provide me, what can I do about it?

    5. #4
      NewsreadeR's Avatar
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Aug 2006
      Location
      St Helens
      Posts
      22,211
      Thanks
      108
      Thanked 373 Times in 304 Posts
      Blog Entries
      48

      Re: At the end of my tether with Sky broadband after 4 months of issues.

      The reasons for your drop in speed could be far beyond Sky's control.

      Have you got any extensions in the house at all?

      The speed would normally only drop if there was an issue, which it looks like there is, if it drops etc

      Looking at your attenuation and then using our checker, you should get a better speed, one that is comparable to your neighbours.

      ADSL2+ Speed Test

      We estimate your line is capable of between 5mb to 6mb broadband on an ADSL2+ service. This ADSL2 Line Speed Calculator is a best guess only, as to the broadband speed that maybe possible on your telephone line. The checker provides results of up to 24mb with the data that is made available to us. This is purely for indication only and should not be classed as the Line Speed that you would receive on any ADSL or LLU product from another ISP.

      Hopefully others can give you some more help and advice.




      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

      Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

    6. #5
      williammorris's Avatar
      williammorris Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

      Re: At the end of my tether with Sky broadband after 4 months of issues.

      Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
      It is now at 3.1 after calling sky again as the router kept dropping out.

      Before that it had dropped to 750kb.

      I have no test socket in my house.

      1.6 meg wa m average speed for years.

      What I'm getting at is how can someone further from my exchange than me get 1.5mb more than me? And if sky arent upholding there point of sale speed of between 3.9mb and 5mb they are legally required to provide me, what can I do about it?
      legally required to provide you?

      No.. your so far off base it's unreal. Telephone is classed as a critical utility but there's no legal requirement for someone to provide one. BT have removed 98% of their phone boxes due to this not being case law. Broadband is no more a legal right than we must all be given Ferraris.

      Sky will let you leave if you get below what they state in the connection part of mysky within 3 months of ordering. They didn't even credit check you. You've hardly any scope for starting to quote legalities at them.

      I litigate for a living. If you came to me with this i'd make my excuses and show you the door.

    7. #6
      boothy_08's Avatar
      boothy_08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oldham
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 120Mbps
      Router: Superhub 2 VM
      Sky TV: Freeview TV
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      Manchester
      Posts
      421
      Thanks
      2
      Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts

      Re: At the end of my tether with Sky broadband after 4 months of issues.

      Your line could take a different route than the persons in your area getting a better speed, people on my street are capable of 9 - 10mbps on their line with the same line attenuation, well 39db mine was 42db something like that and i was only capable of 7.6mbps. The line was not as good as theirs, because of the line quality, installed better or because it took a different route to the exchange i do not know the reason but you just gotta face it.

      I'm now on virgin media getting 61Mbps download speed and 3Mbps upload speed. My best speed through phone line was with sky, there a very good ISP.

    8. #7
      williammorris's Avatar
      williammorris Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

      Re: At the end of my tether with Sky broadband after 4 months of issues.

      Quote Originally Posted by boothy_08 View Post
      Your line could take a different route than the persons in your area getting a better speed, people on my street are capable of 9 - 10mbps on their line with the same line attenuation, well 39db mine was 42db something like that and i was only capable of 7.6mbps. The line was not as good as theirs, because of the line quality, installed better or because it took a different route to the exchange i do not know the reason but you just gotta face it.

      I'm now on virgin media getting 61Mbps download speed and 3Mbps upload speed. My best speed through phone line was with sky, there a very good ISP.
      And i've gone from 100mbps to 7mbps. As earlier today on said 100mbps connection I was getting 1.7mpbs on a download from their own servers.

    9. #8
      Scubbie's Avatar
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Near Portsmouth
      Posts
      26,904
      Thanks
      770
      Thanked 2,140 Times in 2,017 Posts

      Re: At the end of my tether with Sky broadband after 4 months of issues.

      There is some possible good news, the OP's exchange is due to be upgraded to FTTC later this year.

    10. #9
      boothy_08's Avatar
      boothy_08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oldham
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 120Mbps
      Router: Superhub 2 VM
      Sky TV: Freeview TV
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      Manchester
      Posts
      421
      Thanks
      2
      Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts

      Re: At the end of my tether with Sky broadband after 4 months of issues.

      Quote Originally Posted by williammorris View Post
      And i've gone from 100mbps to 7mbps. As earlier today on said 100mbps connection I was getting 1.7mpbs on a download from their own servers.
      Because your area was suffering from high utilization on the UBR, i would of done the same thing you did moved ISP to be honest because theres not much you could do when it happens except wait and hope it gets fixed for the next half a year and its not about hoping.

      As for me my area is good for virgin media and i get the full speeds, plus im paying less for 60 meg than when we was on 10 mbps, virgin media did us a good deal so yeah less for 60 meg than 10.

    11. #10
      williammorris's Avatar
      williammorris Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

      Re: At the end of my tether with Sky broadband after 4 months of issues.

      Quote Originally Posted by boothy_08 View Post
      Because your area was suffering from high utilization on the UBR, i would of done the same thing you did moved ISP to be honest because theres not much you could do when it happens except wait and hope it gets fixed for the next half a year and its not about hoping.

      As for me my area is good for virgin media and i get the full speeds, plus im paying less for 60 meg than when we was on 10 mbps, virgin media did us a good deal so yeah less for 60 meg than 10.
      no we dont have high utilisation in our area. there are 3 users on 100mbps./

      anyway ive decided to stay with virgin and keep sky as a backup. 07.mbps compared to 12mbps up is a big thing to lose as I do a lot of uploading.

     

     
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    SkyUser - Copyright © 2006-2014. SatDish and NewsreadeR | SkyUser is in no way affiliated with Sky Broadband / BSkyB
    RIPA NOTICE: NO CONSENT IS GIVEN FOR INTERCEPTION OF PAGE TRANSMISSION