Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.


    Advertisement

    Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Results 31 to 40 of 41

    Nice one Sky!

    This is a discussion on Nice one Sky! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Scubbie For the OP 's current downstream connection, the profile won't provide a 1mb upstream connection. The ...

    1. #31
      williammorris's Avatar
      williammorris Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

      Re: Nice one Sky!

      Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      For the OP's current downstream connection, the profile won't provide a 1mb upstream connection. The current figure is quite typical.
      No probs and that's fine. The sky line is now just a backup incase the cable goes down. I've got 10MB upload if I need it!


    2. Advertisement
    3. #32
      boothy_08's Avatar
      boothy_08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oldham
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 120Mbps
      Router: Superhub 2 VM
      Sky TV: Freeview TV
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      Manchester
      Posts
      421
      Thanks
      2
      Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts

      Re: Nice one Sky!

      ignore that, it will easily get near to 1mbps or slightly over it, the snr proves that on the upstream. conenct a d-link router and your speed will be nearer to 7mbps on the downstream as well, sagem routers sync poor. sagem router i got 6mbps dlink router i got 7.6mbps.

    4. #33
      Scubbie's Avatar
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Near Portsmouth
      Posts
      27,895
      Thanks
      810
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

      Re: Nice one Sky!

      Quote Originally Posted by boothy_08 View Post
      ignore that, it will easily get near to 1mbps or slightly over it, the snr proves that on the upstream. conenct a d-link router and your speed will be nearer to 7mbps on the downstream as well, sagem routers sync poor. sagem router i got 6mbps dlink router i got 7.6mbps.
      Sorry, but why should the OP spend money on eBay to purchase a router that has WiFi g, instead of a router with WiFi n?

      Also what specific facts do you have to substantiate your claim that the D-Link router will sync better on the specific exchange equipment that the OP is connected to over the Sagem 2504N? I appreciate that some routers work better on some exchanges than others, but I would suggest that the Sagem 2504N tends to work quite well.

      Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

    5. #34
      boothy_08's Avatar
      boothy_08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oldham
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 120Mbps
      Router: Superhub 2 VM
      Sky TV: Freeview TV
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      Manchester
      Posts
      421
      Thanks
      2
      Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts

      Re: Nice one Sky!

      Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Sorry, but why should the OP spend money on eBay to purchase a router that has WiFi g, instead of a router with WiFi n?

      Also what specific facts do you have to substantiate your claim that the D-Link router will sync better on the specific exchange equipment that the OP is connected to over the Sagem 2504N? I appreciate that some routers work better on some exchanges than others, but I would suggest that the Sagem 2504N tends to work quite well.
      the N is pointless on an ISP that only gets 20mbps, wireless g can get you them speeds easily. The D-Link has a better chip in it which achieves much better speeds than the sagem routers, if he wants the extra speed its there for him is what i am saying. Like you said some exchanges has different chips, the D-Link works better on most probably all the exchanges, if you can ask somebody to compare the 2 who have both they will most probably get a better sync with the D-Link. I got 7.6mbps with the D-Link & 6.2mbps with the sagem in the day and 5.8mbps at night, poor speeds for a line that could achieve 8mbps when i 1st got sky.

    6. #35
      boothy_08's Avatar
      boothy_08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oldham
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 120Mbps
      Router: Superhub 2 VM
      Sky TV: Freeview TV
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      Manchester
      Posts
      421
      Thanks
      2
      Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts

      Re: Nice one Sky!

      Quote Originally Posted by boothy_08 View Post
      the N is pointless on an ISP that only gets 20mbps, wireless g can get you them speeds easily. The D-Link has a better chip in it which achieves much better speeds than the sagem routers, if he wants the extra speed its there for him is what i am saying. Like you said some exchanges has different chips, the D-Link works better on most probably all the exchanges, if you can ask somebody to compare the 2 who have both they will most probably get a better sync with the D-Link. I got 7.6mbps with the D-Link & 6.2mbps with the sagem in the day and 5.8mbps at night, poor speeds for a line that could achieve 8mbps when i 1st got sky.
      maybe lines like yours work well with them scubbie but the longer lines can achieve better speeds with the D-Link

    7. #36
      williammorris's Avatar
      williammorris Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

      Re: Nice one Sky!

      Quote Originally Posted by boothy_08 View Post
      maybe lines like yours work well with them scubbie but the longer lines can achieve better speeds with the D-Link
      Thanks for the idea I will look into it. But for now as I said I am staying on my cable line with Sky as a backup. so please let's leave it there

    8. #37
      Scubbie's Avatar
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Near Portsmouth
      Posts
      27,895
      Thanks
      810
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

      Re: Nice one Sky!

      Quote Originally Posted by boothy_08 View Post
      the N is pointless on an ISP that only gets 20mbps...
      Really? And I suppose you have asked the OP if he would rather have an extra few kbps or a stronger WiFi signal, not just one that is a little quicker?

      Neither you nor I have asked this of him, but you assume that it will.

      My comments regarding the profile are based on observations. I don't know the actual point where it changes, but it is greater than what the current upstream is for the OP. Any improvement therefore IMHO will not be that great, hence why I suggested that it won't make any difference.

      As for my own line, I don't wish to compare that with the OPs as they are quite different, with me being the other side of the point where the upstream can increase on Sky's profiles.

      The chipset used in the older Sagem 2504 is quite different to the Sagem 2504N, which the OP has. There haven't been many posts on this forum comparing the connection speeds of the D-Link 2640S to the Sagem 2504N on different exchange equipment. If you have a link to another forum where this has been discussed, please provide it.

      As for getting the best from your connection on Sky, please feel free to read the thread linked below.

      What non-Sky router will give me the best speed.

      Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

    9. #38
      boothy_08's Avatar
      boothy_08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oldham
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 120Mbps
      Router: Superhub 2 VM
      Sky TV: Freeview TV
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      Manchester
      Posts
      421
      Thanks
      2
      Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts

      Re: Nice one Sky!

      Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Really? And I suppose you have asked the OP if he would rather have an extra few kbps or a stronger WiFi signal, not just one that is a little quicker?

      Neither you nor I have asked this of him, but you assume that it will.

      My comments regarding the profile are based on observations. I don't know the actual point where it changes, but it is greater than what the current upstream is for the OP. Any improvement therefore IMHO will not be that great, hence why I suggested that it won't make any difference.

      As for my own line, I don't wish to compare that with the OPs as they are quite different, with me being the other side of the point where the upstream can increase on Sky's profiles.

      The chipset used in the older Sagem 2504 is quite different to the Sagem 2504N, which the OP has. There haven't been many posts on this forum comparing the connection speeds of the D-Link 2640S to the Sagem 2504N on different exchange equipment. If you have a link to another forum where this has been discussed, please provide it.

      As for getting the best from your connection on Sky, please feel free to read the thread linked below.

      What non-Sky router will give me the best speed.
      A few kbps, could be a few 100KB/S which can make a difference.
      I would say use Wireless N if they use the router for media sharing that would be better than G, but with only a 6mbps connection they would not need N and probably prefer the extra meg using G.

      seems the sky customers think the d-link does give a higher sync than others, the billion also seems to be a good router for higher syncs with the line coding changed, glad you posted that link actually.

    10. #39
      Scubbie's Avatar
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Near Portsmouth
      Posts
      27,895
      Thanks
      810
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

      Re: Nice one Sky!

      Sorry, I'll try to calm down a little. I always try to provide the best advice based on the knowledge I have. If I am wrong, I will admit it and bow to the knowledge & experience of others.

      No one has asked what the OP does. To make assumptions is dangerous.

      To just say the all connections which have only 6mb/s downstream connections should have WiFi g is wrong IMHO and I can show a lot of posts on this forum and others to back up what I am suggesting.

      A router that has WiFi n is not just faster, it also has a stronger signal and reception. This can in many cases make all the difference to getting a connection.

      As for the speed, many members have NAS drives or other methods to store files on their home networks. From there they can stream HD content to their iPads, laptops and other devices. WiFi g just cannot handle the required bandwidth.

      So whilst you have a 60/3 connection, with a really low ping, there are many who do want a router that is capable of more.

      As for tweaking the connection, this is something missing from all the Sky routers. Since the connection will be capped at a speed a little higher than what the OP is getting, such a router wouldn't be a huge benefit.

      In order to set up a connection, Sky uses different profiles. DLM has access to a larger number of profiles than the people who work in Sky. What I have been trying to say is that the profiles around the connection speed that the OP has do not allow for a larger upstream connection that what is already present.

      Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

    11. #40
      boothy_08's Avatar
      boothy_08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oldham
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 120Mbps
      Router: Superhub 2 VM
      Sky TV: Freeview TV
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      Manchester
      Posts
      421
      Thanks
      2
      Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts

      Re: Nice one Sky!

      Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Sorry, I'll try to calm down a little. I always try to provide the best advice based on the knowledge I have. If I am wrong, I will admit it and bow to the knowledge & experience of others.

      No one has asked what the OP does. To make assumptions is dangerous.

      To just say the all connections which have only 6mb/s downstream connections should have WiFi g is wrong IMHO and I can show a lot of posts on this forum and others to back up what I am suggesting.

      A router that has WiFi n is not just faster, it also has a stronger signal and reception. This can in many cases make all the difference to getting a connection.

      As for the speed, many members have NAS drives or other methods to store files on their home networks. From there they can stream HD content to their iPads, laptops and other devices. WiFi g just cannot handle the required bandwidth.

      So whilst you have a 60/3 connection, with a really low ping, there are many who do want a router that is capable of more.

      As for tweaking the connection, this is something missing from all the Sky routers. Since the connection will be capped at a speed a little higher than what the OP is getting, such a router wouldn't be a huge benefit.

      In order to set up a connection, Sky uses different profiles. DLM has access to a larger number of profiles than the people who work in Sky. What I have been trying to say is that the profiles around the connection speed that the OP has do not allow for a larger upstream connection that what is already present.
      your right about the wifi, but couldnt the OP phone sky and ask for them to re configure the line to get higher upstream and higher downstream after he connects a router that is capable of more speed?

     

     
    Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    SkyUser - Copyright © 2006-2017. SatDish and NewsreadeR | SkyUser is in no way affiliated with Sky Broadband / BSkyB
    RIPA NOTICE: NO CONSENT IS GIVEN FOR INTERCEPTION OF PAGE TRANSMISSION