Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Nice one Sky!

This is a discussion on Nice one Sky! within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Now it shows. Testing on your broadband connection began on 20/03/2012 and will be completed within 10 days....

williammorris Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Nice one Sky!

Now it shows.

Testing on your broadband connection began on
      20/03/2012
      and will be completed within 10 days.

2. Advertisement
      snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi Williammorris,

there is usually a delay between what DLM is doing and what is reported in MySky - for me the delay was 3 days... if DLM has not re-sync'd for 72 hours (usually 24 is enough to know tho but offiicialy its 72 hours) then DLM has finished, your WAN uptime will be more than 72/24 hours in router stats (providing you havent re-synced or re-booted yourself), so that is what your getting 6.1Mb - a 44db line would normally achieve 6.5Mb to 7.5Mb as some of the others may have already explained... so your 'about' right albeit a little on the lower side but certainly nothing to write home about. DLM dynamically adjusts the Power Output on the line and this is how sometimes where it may appear you cant get much more (because noise margin is already at default of 7db give or take a fraction)...you actually can and how you went from 4Mb to 6.1Mb with roughly the same Noise Margin.

You will find that SKY are much better than Virgin if your a heavy user or use P2P/Bit-Torrent - not too mention a lot cheaper - Virgin Cable have "usage limits" for morning and evening AND "P2P restrictions"...the P2P restrictions are across ALL of their profiles..even 50Mb and 100Mb

you may get slightly less in actual throughput with SKY because of the length of your line, but you can be sure you will get it day & night and be able to stream & download to your hearts content..
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

williammorris Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

hi,

I know what you mean. I don't however use P2P or USENET but I do like to download things like steam games etc fast.

We have decided that I will use the VM line and my wife will use the sky line. She only surfs and plays music. But I do like to download movies from skygo etc so for me this will be better.

Been told the price is coming down on VM end of the month and it's going to be 34 a month which is not bad for what will be 120mbps. Right now I am getting 106.2mbps downloading films... Theres no price increase to the 100mbps only a decrease therefore the get out before the end of March rule does not apply to us. I guess that's based on the assumption that not many people will argue a reduction in price is unfair.

Happy to have both.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snadge View Post
      DLM dynamically adjusts the Power Output on the line and this is how sometimes where it may appear you cant get much more (because noise margin is already at default of 7db give or take a fraction)...you actually can and how you went from 4Mb to 6.1Mb with roughly the same Noise Margin.
      Start profile = 2 symbol INP down/up. That's likely been reduced with the 6mbps profile, hence the rise in sync speed. Nothing to do with pwr.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Start profile = 2 symbol INP down/up. That's likely been reduced with the 6mbps profile, hence the rise in sync speed. Nothing to do with pwr.
      We are still waiting to see if Sky 'actually' have the power management module within their DLM package. It's an optional extra.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      We are still waiting to see if Sky 'actually' have the power management module within their DLM package. It's an optional extra.
      Must admit, I've seen some of the full profiles DLM uses and have never noticed any 'Pwr' settings being part of the profile settings themselves. Just sounds like speculation being passed off as 'truth' to me.

williammorris Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

DLM appears to have stopped at 6142kbps down and 797kbps up.. I guess this is the max.. However someone mentioned you could ring sky to see if this was the max, is that still the case?

thanks

boothy_08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oldham
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Media 120Mbps
      Router: Superhub 2 VM
      Sky TV: Freeview TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by williammorris View Post
      DLM appears to have stopped at 6142kbps down and 797kbps up.. I guess this is the max.. However someone mentioned you could ring sky to see if this was the max, is that still the case?

thanks
      the SNR shows this is the max on the downstream as for the up though i reckon you can get just under or just over 1000kbps. if your happy with that though then thats cool (which i would be).

williammorris Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

im happy.

sky have given us the BB for free if we keep the call package so it's going to be a backup. We are keeping our 100mbps.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boothy_08 View Post
      the SNR shows this is the max on the downstream as for the up though i reckon you can get just under or just over 1000kbps. if your happy with that though then thats cool (which i would be).
      For the OP's current downstream connection, the profile won't provide a 1mb upstream connection. The current figure is quite typical.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast