Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Sky say I am not on SVBN even though tracert shows sky.com + MER

This is a discussion on Sky say I am not on SVBN even though tracert shows sky.com + MER within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by snadge but what about the other two points..? you say "before now" what does that mean? you ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

re: Sky say I am not on SVBN even though tracert shows sky.com + MER

Quote Originally Posted by snadge View Post
      but what about the other two points..?

you say "before now" what does that mean? you were on MER and now on PPPoA..? why is that?
      No idea on the other points.

When I check my router stats, sometimes it says MER other times it say PPPoA - No idea, why, but it does.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      No idea on the other points.

When I check my router stats, sometimes it says MER other times it say PPPoA - No idea, why, but it does.
      I think its safe to say if IAM on EasyNet (and I dont think Iam) that its impossible to determine if a user is on EasyNet or SVBN - because SKY have fooled us all here, ive always been told on here and from others that Iam on SVBN for my broadband because of all the points I mention, yet it would turn out Iam not because you can use MER on easynet, have sky.com in tracert and also have 10 day line profiling (if iam on easynet..)

I would like to hear User05's views/answers on those points I mention (MER, Tracert and 10 day profiling)
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

And of the day, does it really matter?

You're connecting at a very good speed so just enjoy it. Don't let every little kbps bother you. It really doesn't make that much of a difference other than to massage your ego
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

thomasjc1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: plusnet fibre unlimited
      Router: asus rt-n66u
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

i know snadge, and its not about ego,and he is happy with speed,its all about gaining the right info and learning about it
      Last edited by thomasjc1; 20-03-12 at 09:42 PM.

Thanks

Re: Sky say Iam not on SVBN even though tracert shows sky.com + MER

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      And of the day, does it really matter?

You're connecting at a very good speed so just enjoy it. Don't let every little kbps bother you. It really doesn't make that much of a difference other than to massage your ego
      I couldnt give a toss if its easynet or SVBN...

Iam just trying to find out how and why this has happened - as some people give me incorrect information telling me Iam on SVBN, then I find out Iam not, so I try to find out how it works properly so I can advise others properly instead of giving them "half baked" incorrect advice... just same as the whole "you dont need mac codes" issue....
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

Thanks

Re: Sky say I am not on SVBN even though tracert shows sky.com + MER

But you'll find the % of people that actually care as to how they connect to the world is so minutely small it's not worth bothering about

Other than Shonk (who is obsessed with his connection - to the last kbps) no one really gives a toss so long as it works for what they want to do

It's not worth worrying about

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      But you'll find the % of people that actually care as to how they connect to the world is so minutely small it's not worth bothering about

Other than Shonk (who is obsessed with his connection - to the last kbps) no one really gives a toss so long as it works for what they want to do

It's not worth worrying about

Yes Iam slightly worried because of the whole sync rate issue, DLM may get a low speed on my line like it does so many others and I may not be so lucky to get it put right the second time around - but the MAIN reason I seek to find out how it works 100% is so I know that I am not passing on bad/incorrect information I get from other people on forums.

I dont advise the majority of users as they arent on here (or other forums) asking ... lol ... it only matters to those who want to know, I am one of these people that likes to know 100% how something works , if the "tech" side of it doesn't bother you then stick to posting in 'chat' or 'news' sections...
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

Thanks

Seeing as I worked for 3 years in Tier 3/CST for Sky Broadband I do have vast knowledge on broadband, especially Sky Broadband

What I'm saying is your looking far too much into things. A tracert isn't something you need to do unless you're having issues with your connection. From what I can gather you have no issues so it shouldn't be something that bothers you. OK, the move to the full SVBN might cause a drop in sync (like a meg or so) but you can just get Sky to uncap it again - there won't be any issues there

If anything, moving to the SVBN will limit your connection as there are set profiles used on it. When on a DSLAM Sky have full independent control of both up and downstream speeds so it's favourable to stay on a DSLAM. That is really the only thing to be concerned about

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snadge View Post
      I think its safe to say if IAM on EasyNet (and I dont think Iam) that its impossible to determine if a user is on EasyNet or SVBN - because SKY have fooled us all here, ive always been told on here and from others that Iam on SVBN for my broadband because of all the points I mention, yet it would turn out Iam not because you can use MER on easynet, have sky.com in tracert and also have 10 day line profiling (if iam on easynet..)

I would like to hear User05's views/answers on those points I mention (MER, Tracert and 10 day profiling)
      Well, if you've got a router that alows telnet access such as the netgear dg834gt, you could check the DSLAM's ADSL chipset vendor, if it is GSPN (Globespan) , then you would be on easynet hardware.

the following command from telnet on a dg834gt or dlink (or other broadcom based router)

adslctl info --vendor

The following link would also do the same on the dg834gt
      http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?PATH=/b...%261+2%3E%261;

Thanks

the tracert is simply to see what the second hop is so i can see if iam on easynet.co.uk or sky.com

- if you worked in Tier 3 support for 3 years then you should be able to answer the points/questions I put across...as you have not then I can only guess that you either dont know , or , for whatever reason ...prefer not say.

A) Ive been told that EasyNet Dslams Profiles are set manually in lama from day 1(you should know if this is correct or not) - if this is true than Iam not on Easynet because I endured the 10 day DLM thats used in SVBN (or so Im led to believe) - first 3 days was 4096k and then day 4 was 6Mb , day 5 was 9Mb , day 6 was 12Mb and day 7 was 15Mb and finished there, If this is true and I was on EasyNet then the profile would have been set from day 1...manually, using loop loss as the estimate for the sync rate (so Iam told).

B) can your router connect to easynet dslam using MER..?

C) why does the tracert show sky.com address instead of easynet.co.uk (when everyman and his dog says if its sky.com your on svbn)

if you have vast knowledge of sky broadband you could answer these questions.
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast