Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Location services and Sky Broadband Connect

This is a discussion on Location services and Sky Broadband Connect within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all Hope that this is the right place for this post (as opposed to the Mac/Routers/Technical threads!) A bit ...

FlySi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01334
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Location services and Sky Broadband Connect

Hi all

Hope that this is the right place for this post (as opposed to the Mac/Routers/Technical threads!)

A bit of background first...

When we had Sky Broadband Connect installed we were supplied with a D-Link router. This worked well until late October last year at which point it wouldn't connect. Sky replaced the router twice but it still wouldn't connect (and if it did, it would lose its connection within a minute or two). This happened shortly after a firmware update. Eventually Sky recognised that there was a fault with the authentication and the software and they said that they were working on it and would let me know when it was fixed (they still haven't fixed it). Until it was fixed they said I could use my own router (a Netgear) and there would be no breach of the T&Cs (I have this in writing).

Anyway, the said Netgear router finally gave up two weeks ago (after 8 or 9 years of use) and I've replaced it with a Netgear DGN2200. It works like a dream except for one thing: it doesn't appear to like any location services on my iPad/iPod Touch/MacBook, such as Weather, Google Maps, etc. nor does it use my location in things such as Twitter/Facebook. Does anybody have any ideas as to what this could be?

The location services worked fine on the D-Link router but they stopped with the first Netgear and have never returned. I did change the DNS settings last week (from Automatic to OpenDNS) to enable me to download iOS 5.1 (somebody else has posted on this subject) but I've since changed them back to the defaults (which are obtained directly from Sky) Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks all

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Location services and Sky Broadband Connect

If the OpenDNS servers were working OK, why did you change back to Sky's flakey ones?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

FlySi is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01334
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I changed it back to see if it had resolved the problem. Surely the more important question is why do the DNS settings on Sky's router work but not when used on another router?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It is not just on non Sky routers that the servers do not work very well, many find they give problems even when using a Sky router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.