Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

connection /speed problems again

This is a discussion on connection /speed problems again within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, over the last couple of years i posted several times with regards to speed/connection issues. Help was offered by ...

elamarna is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208959
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

connection /speed problems again

Hi, over the last couple of years i posted several times with regards to speed/connection issues.

Help was offered by many for which i was gratefull, this culminated last August with a complete line failure, which BT fixed, followed by 2 months of good connection followed by 4 weeks of rubbish. final BT attended and fitted a new up todate socket, this lead to a jump in download from 6/7 to 16 with attenuation of 22-25 and noise of 6.8-7.3.

This was great frm November until Tuesday when it all went wrong again; the connection started to drop out, the speed was around 7, noise was below 3.
      a reset on the router got an inital 15 but it refused to stay connected, called sky, went over all the trouble shooting and was getting about 11, noise of at one stage 0.3
      went to test socket and got same connection noise then started at about 6 but feell to 2 in about 40 seconds.

sky advised said DLm had also kicked in on tuesday when the line first started to go unstable, i was told there were thousands of errors showing up, which were not there before.
      i was then told that it was proberbly a line fault, as the test socket showed the same results as non test socket. and i would need to get BT to check the line, if no faults showing i was to go back to sky who would esculate it up. I duly Got BT to check the line who said no faults, the line however has become very noisy since tuesday. i called Sky Back and was told not sure what to do , the next tier would be in touch in 3 days.

so any ideas what it could be this time?

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: connection /speed problems again

Just to confirm, any noise or issues with your landline at the moment?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

well about 4 weeks back the voice cut out on the landline, the broadband was ok and BT got the line back in about 48 hours.

the line had been ok , i have not used it until last night for a few days, last night however there was serve noise /crackling on the line when talking to sky, i did notice that the longer we spoke, the noise margin got better that is went from around 3 up to 8

Exchange:
      Thanks

I assume that your line rental is with BT from what you're saying?

If you're definitely hearing a crackling, albeit even intermittently, then the best way to pursue it would be to contact BT again and stress to them that you're hearing an intermittent crackle on the line (assuming you've confirmed the noise is present direct from the test socket with no other equipment like filters etc.). BT faults dept. number is 0800 800151.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you line rental is with BT do not mention broadband or you will be fobbed off. As far as they and you are concerned you want your voice line fixed, that done, your broadband should improve.
      If your line rental is with Sky you should not even be contacting BT, they should be doing it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi, thanks for all that info.

sky called me back last night and said much the same as yourselves,

i called bt, got a call centre somewhere who said yes you have a fault caused by congestion, by others using your line. which i said was strange as i am not on a shared line.

they called back 20 mins later, asked me to disconect phones while they did tests.

this morning i had a d/l speed of 4 and a nosie marginof 0.-7, still lots of noise on line.

then as i got to work got a txt saying they had fixed my problemn when they obviously have not. advice on where to go next, i am going to change the line to sky.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Get back on to BT and tell them your line is still not fixed. I would not move your rental to Sky until you get it fixed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for that, have an update, rang BT who insisted that they fixed the fault, which they now say again was there, dispite the online report saying no fault found, at 4am this morning, that seems highly unlikely.

they told me that i would need to carry out some tests myself, i informed them that i already had, but would do again tonight, only to be told that the truth was the fault must be in my house, when i said that i had used the test socket, i was told that "the other wiring to extensions could be at fault" i was under the impression that once i the test socket no other wiring had any effect, still you live and learn! its sad that BT seem to have no staff based in the UK you can talk to, or anyone who knows the products.

i have rung home the line is still bad, and the router stats are still very poor, i have gone from 16 to 2-3 download in space of 2 days. such is life i will test again tonight and recall BT

Exchange:
      Thanks

If they don't know how to do their job, then this is what you need to prompt them to do -

1. Ring up from your mobile with your faceplate removed and nothing in the test socket;
      2. Ask them to test the line;
      3. If it shows a fault within the property, then advise all your equipment is off the circuit and they need to book an appointment for an Openreach site visit.

Baffles me how they're treating this, it's really not rocket science.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks for that, i will try it tonight. the fact that they said there was a fault suggests to me at least that is why the broadband as gone belly up, not mentioned that to them at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast