Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

slow download speed on one of my laptops

This is a discussion on slow download speed on one of my laptops within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi all i wonder if someone could point me in the right direction to sort out my problem. i am ...

tonygold is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: gants hill
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

slow download speed on one of my laptops

hi all
      i wonder if someone could point me in the right direction to sort out my problem. i am on sky unlimited. wirelessly my small asus netbook and my iphone show a regular download speed of approx 8500kbps.
      my newer acer aspire 5536 laptop fluctuates and just lately i can only get 600kbps wirelessly. if i plug in the ethernet cable this also records 8500kbps. this has only happened recently and i am just wondering if there are any settings or tweaks i can do that will return my laptop to these speeds or have the wireless capabilities in the laptop gone 'faulty'?? i am connecting with a white sky netgear 'g' router
      any advice appreciated.
      thanks.

2. Advertisement
      McBridge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bedlington
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: slow download speed on one of my laptops

I would suggest uninstalling the WIFI card and then reinstall it, if that does not fix it then get the latest drivers for the WIFI card to see if that fixes it. If all these fail then I would think you probably have a faulty WFI card, if you have or can get hold of a USB WIFI adapter then you could plug this in to test if it is the card or the laptop. Should it work ok on the USB I would consider replacing the WIFI adapter with an external USB one, just for ease. Hope this helps.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Apart from the above, make sure the laptop is using the Windows Wireless Manager and not the adapters own one. Some of these are very flaky.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

tonygold is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: gants hill
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by McBridge View Post
      I would suggest uninstalling the WIFI card and then reinstall it, if that does not fix it then get the latest drivers for the WIFI card to see if that fixes it. If all these fail then I would think you probably have a faulty WFI card, if you have or can get hold of a USB WIFI adapter then you could plug this in to test if it is the card or the laptop. Should it work ok on the USB I would consider replacing the WIFI adapter with an external USB one, just for ease. Hope this helps.
      thanks for replies
      mcbridge - could you please let me know how i go about uninstalling and then reinstalling the wi fi card as i'm not sure how to do this.
      much appreciated.

isitme - how do i set the laptop to use the windows wireless manager? thanks again