Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Low sync rate

This is a discussion on Low sync rate within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; There is only so much that we can do on this forum, but I do believe that you should be ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Low sync rate

There is only so much that we can do on this forum, but I do believe that you should be able to get more from your line, which is why I suggested the friendly phone call.

If you were getting 2-2.5mb and it has dropped, this suggests a line fault. Could you perform a quiet line test by performing the following please:

Using a corded telephone, plugged into the Master Socket, dial '1' and listen for any noise.

A small amount of hiss in the background is acceptable, but not too loud. Any clicking or loud noise indicates a problem. If you hear a high-pitched noise like a Fax machine, but higher, then that is fine, but does indicate that the filter may need changing.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      kieransymes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWCRS (Cwmbran)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi Scubbie

Given that a try and still no noise on the line.

Probably worth mentioning I have tried different filters from the main socket and from the test socket.

Thanks
      Kie

---
      I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?gfdyug

Thanks

In that case, call Sky to ask for someone to manually reconfigure your line.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

will do! thanks for your advice

thecarer1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: longton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Hi Kieran

I dont know if my problems ive had these last 2 weeks will help you out but it might give you some hindsight on what it might be going on your end

now same as you i live a fair distance from the exchange and dont get a fast speed but ive always had a 2mb line and had no problems at all getting it...... 2 weeks ago i placed a order at sky for the sagem 2504n wireless router because i wasnt getting a very good wireless signal with my netgear router

4 days later it arrived at my door... so i proceeded to get everything set-up and switch it on but i noticed that my speed had gone down to 1.5mbs straight away and my line attenuation had gone up by 7db so i thought what the hell was going on

now 2 weeks later and numerous phone calls to sky they finally admitted to me that these new routers arent compatible with customers with a long attenuation lines

if you are going through what ive been going through these last 2 weeks then you are the 4th person ive found out that is suffering from this problem

they even sent me another new router out as well to see if the 1st one was faulty but it was just doing the same as the first one

i knew that these new routers werent compatible because i stuck my old netgear router back on again and my speed went back up to 2mb and my line attenution went down to 60db

i hope that this info might give you some help but like scubbie said... give sky a ring and if they give you answers that you dont want to hear...... then mention my story to them and let us how you get on

Thanks

Thanks for that thecarer.

Having a long line sucks don't it!?

It's a bit strange what I'm having - when my speed has gone low with sky in the past, rebooting my router normally fixes it. But at the moment, it just seems to be stuck. I've even tried disconnecting everything else from the line for a few hours and nothing, still stuck. you would think a monopoly like Sky would be able to pick a router to provide that is ideal for all line lengths and qualities. And this DLM stuff is a right pain - I swear BTs equipment assesses line quality on the fly so you're always getting the best speed at a particular time.

Our line always used to get 3mbps but we had a line fault and ever since that was fixed we have had lower and inconsistent speeds.

Thanks for the story - will definitely help when I get on the phone to Sky!

Thanks again both

---
      I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?2ti41e

Thanks

Hi Guys

Got on the phone to Sky and they have manually set my conection speed to 2.5mbps. He didn't have a clue about changing the ADSL mode to g.dmt though.

It's funny though, the first guy I spoke to did it for me... I thought this would be much more difficult.

One more thing worth noting, I mentioned to the guy about using my own Netgear router and he said it's not breaking the terms and conditions - the only thing mentioned in the Ts&Cs is that Sky won't support third party routers.

I have read through the them and he is right - it doesn't say that you must use the Sky router provided.

Thanks for the help again
      Kieran
      Last edited by kieransymes; 20-03-12 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Added more information.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kieransymes View Post
      One more thing worth noting, I mentioned to the guy about using my own Netgear router and he said it's not breaking the terms and conditions - the only thing mentioned in the Ts&Cs is that Sky won't support third party routers.

I have read through the them and he is right - it doesn't say that you must use the Sky router provided.
      Sadly they do. I've highlighted the part of the T&Cs below in purple.

Sky Terms and Conditions - Broadband
      3. The Wireless Router

(a) As part of the Sky Broadband service Sky will supply one Wireless Router to you under this Contract.
      (b)You can choose to either install your Wireless Router yourself ("Self Install") or have SHS install it for you on Sky's behalf ("Home Installation). If you choose Self Install, SHS will send your Wireless Router on Sky's behalf to your Address and you must comply fully with all reasonable installation instructions and advice that SHS or we provide to you. If you choose Home Installation you should read the terms and conditions for Home Installation (set out at the end of this Contract). You may have to pay for Home Installation. We will tell you the amount of this fee before charging you.
      (c) Your Wireless Router (except the software in it) will become your property on installation if you choose Home Installation, or on delivery if you choose Self Install. The software in your Wireless Router is owned by or licensed to Sky or another member of the British Sky Broadcasting group. You must allow this software to be updated. Updates will happen automatically at no extra charge.
      (d) Sky Broadband must only be accessed via your Wireless Router. Your Wireless Router is not supplied as being capable of being used to access any other internet service.

Thanks

Ahhh I missed that. What a shame!

Thanks for all your help

---
      I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?erqf1i

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12