Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help with new connection

This is a discussion on Help with new connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone, Hoping someone on here recognises whats happening and can make some suggestions because so far I'm a little ...

jon2263 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01977
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Help with new connection

Hi everyone,

Hoping someone on here recognises whats happening and can make some suggestions because so far I'm a little lost.

We have moved into a new property where we have had Sky Broadband installed. It went through the usual line setting process, but after a few days I noticed that the sync rate had not improved. It initially started at 4mb and went to 5.5mb and just sat there.

Looking at my router stats line attenuation is 46db and the SNR is 6.6db, I feel there is still room for improvement on my connection, although 46db is quite high for a property 2km from the exchange by road.

After calling sky they said they found alot of errors on the line running into the thousands. We found that unplugging the router from the extension and plugging it into the test socket removed a lot of faults, but not all of them. However they said because the line tests came back okay they couldn't send out an engineer.

My questions are this:

1. Why would I be getting so many faults from an extension in the property? I have remove the ringer wire on all sockets and replaced the micro filters, there is now only wires 2 and 5 connected in the property.

2. Is there any way I can get these faults down?

3. Is there anything I can do to improve my speed, Sky have managed to push this up to 6.5mb but no higher, a neighbour also on sky is hitting 9mb and I feel sure they haven't gone as far as to rewire the phone sockets.

Any help or advice would be greatly received, thanks guys.

Jon

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Help with new connection

Hi

My attenuation is 48 ish and I get approx 6227 kbps - I have had higher, but like you I then get too many errors building up. So in the end I just accepted that between 6 and 7 meg is about the best that I can attain.

Sky have pitched yours about right imo with an attenuation of 46 you should expect to see the following.

ADSL2+ Speed Test

We estimate your line is capable of between 6mb to 7mb broadband on an ADSL2+ service. This ADSL2 Line Speed Calculator is a best guess only, as to the broadband speed that maybe possible on your telephone line. The checker provides results of up to 24mb with the data that is made available to us. This is purely for indication only and should not be classed as the Line Speed that you would receive on any ADSL or LLU product from another ISP.

SkyUser - Potential ADSL2 Line Speed Checker & Calculator

The problem with ADSL etc is although you and your neighbour on on the same street, it is possible that your cables are routed completely different from the exchange. You could ask him what his attenuation is though?

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

But what I dont understand is that the attenuation for the line would suggest the exchange is around 3.5km away, where as in reality by road its only 2km, now fair enough things get routed around differently, but surely its hard to gain an extra 1.5km?

With regards to getting errors on the line even from the test socket do you have any experience with this? Surely any line problems directly into this socket would suggest a problem with the line itself which is BT's problem?

Thanks

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

But what I dont understand is that the attenuation for the line would suggest the exchange is around 3.5km away, where as in reality by road its only 2km, now fair enough things get routed around differently, but surely its hard to gain an extra 1.5km?
      If I check my number, as the crow flies, the distance is 1.54 mile, by road, it is 1.7 mile approx. So by assumption, I guess I should see a higher attenuation.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/tools/exchangechecker.php

However, I do not know how many junction boxes / splitters etc / repairs that BT have actually got on my physical pair of cables between my house and the exchange. All of this should be taken into account. When we first moved in this house 10 years ago, my attenuation used to be around 45 ish - But over the years it has obviously dropped a little.

There are too many variables to be thrown into the mix, I am pretty sure temperature, wet or dry would make a difference as well, ie if the cable ducts have water in then there could be resistence etc formed there?

With regards to getting errors on the line even from the test socket do you have any experience with this? Surely any line problems directly into this socket would suggest a problem with the line itself which is BT's problem?
      I have an ADSL faceplate, and have done the same as you, removed any additional wiring that may have caused any interference etc - However, on different modes, ADSL, G.DMT and ADSL2 / ADSL2+ I still get errors, enough to be a hinderance to my actual connection.

When my line synched at 7 meg it would work fine, then drop, now it just works all the time, with no drops. For the sake of .8 meg it was not worth fighting to keep it at 7 so to speak.

You should expect to see some errors, as that is what Sky's systems do, they manage them so they are not detrimental, ie it would just resend the data etc - but sooner or later the errors build up and cause a drop out etc

The data we use to bestguess is a lot of historical actual data and so the average speed attainable is pretty accurate to a degree, especially when BT say that I should get roughly 3 meg - I get twice that at least.

If you have a filtered faceplate, and have removed any interfering wires, then badgering Sky would possibly attain a few extra kbps - But if it is stable as it is, it maybe more hassle then it is worth.

See what others suggest it maybe possible that you could squeeze some more out of your current connection.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 07-03-12 at 12:49 PM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Buying fitting and using a filtered faceplate is your best bet.

With regards attenuation, this is not solely the length of the line, but its condition. You may even have a stretch of aluminium between you and the exchange, which will increase the attenuation.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Well sky have finally conceded, within 5 minutes of resetting the line with the modem in the Test Sock we picked up 25 errors. So an engineer is coming out, how much this will help I don't know, but fingers crossed.