Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree1Likes

Can I sync faster?

This is a discussion on Can I sync faster? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by snadge call SKY and ask for it too be uncapped... that will sort it! - DLM landing ...

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Can I sync faster?

Quote Originally Posted by snadge View Post
      call SKY and ask for it too be uncapped... that will sort it! - DLM landing short of the mark....again... you just need browse around this and the SKY forums too see this is common when migrating to SKY that DLM falls short of what lines SHOULD be getting on default SNR, this is the third one in a row ive come across on this forum today. I get 18,013k on a line slightly longer than yours...but I did also get 15,400k same as you and had to call SKY to get it uncapped, your line should be hitting 19k syncs.
      Line is currently profiled at 15360kbps downstream with a SNR of 7dB. Where are you getting that there is much room for improvement here? Not every line performs the same, so saying that a line should hit a certain speed is all well and good, but there's little room for improvement on the OP's line.

No harm meant here, but just because you've seen a couple of posts on this forum about DLM profiling a line slower than it can actually hit doesn't mean DLM always does this.

2. Advertisement
      snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Line is currently profiled at 15360kbps downstream with a SNR of 7dB. Where are you getting that there is much room for improvement here? Not every line performs the same, so saying that a line should hit a certain speed is all well and good, but there's little room for improvement on the OP's line.

No harm meant here, but just because you've seen a couple of posts on this forum about DLM profiling a line slower than it can actually hit doesn't mean DLM always does this.
      no problemo - heres how....
      first off, its not just a few posts ive seen on here, ive seen about 50+ in last 2-3 weeks alone across a few forums (Sky Forums, SkyUser and others) of new SKY LLu migrations with syncs falling WELL short and many of them call SKY and get it sorted
      secondly, ive been advising people for broadband help for 7 years now and have seen thousands of sync rates vs line attenuations... now I appreciate not all hardware works the same but the OP is gunna be using the same sagemcom and SKY LLu hardware as those 50+ new migrations ive seen over the last month (including my own) so therefore is on same hardware as me anyway... irrespective, differring hardware does not usually make such large discrepencies... as in 15Mb on an 19Mb line - if it were gunna be lower because of that it would normally be 17-18Mb with differing hardware.. been around the block and seen too much of this stuff to know ... but, DLM seems to land short of the mark a lot of the time IMO (believe me I have seen it) - ive not seen a new user during DLM on these or other forums show DLM finish right around where it should, its always 10%-20% less.

you should be aware that while Noise Margin reflects what can be done with regards to improvement on the line, it seems that SKY's equipment can report 7db while still having "room to grow" with the sync rate... ive also seen DLM climb a users sync while also increasing the SNR from 15,300k / 7db to 18,013k / 8.1db the next day (over on other thread I posted on, go have a look).. so dont assume that because his SNR SAYS 7db that he cant go any higher with his sync speed (in this respect) because ive seen LOADS of sync rates go up with same 7db SNR just this last few weeks on new SKY migrations, I know that ADSL law says this should not happen, but SKY's DLM seems to be able to restrict the speed without reflecting the higher Noise Margin figure (as it should).
      mine was set at 15,400k / 7db - got it up to 18,013k / 7db after calling SKY
      thomas was set at 16,000k / 7db and got it up to 19,999k / 7db after calling SKY
      ive seen MANY other people do the same.

the OP should call SKY once MySky reports it as finished and I would be very surprised if they couldnt at least bump him up to the 18Mb profile - of course, calling SKY is hit&miss as we all know, so if he gets one that doesnt know how to do it or refuses to he should ring back and chances are next one will - the first person I called knew straight away..he said my 15Mb line should be doing 19Mb and he sorted it... my friend tom got same with first call, another friend got 2,000k extra too with first call.

hope this helps
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

secondly, ive been advising people for broadband help for 7 years now and have seen thousands of sync rates vs line attenuations... now I appreciate not all hardware works the same but the OP is gunna be using the same sagemcom and SKY LLu hardware as those 50+ new migrations ive seen over the last month (including my own) so therefore is on same hardware as me anyway... irrespective, differring hardware does not usually make such large discrepencies... as in 15Mb on an 19Mb line - if it were gunna be lower because of that it would normally be 17-18Mb with differing hardware.. been around the block and seen too much of this stuff to know ... but, DLM seems to land short of the mark a lot of the time IMO (believe me I have seen it) - ive not seen a new user during DLM on these or other forums show DLM finish right around where it should, its always 10%-20% less.
      The bit I bolded and underlined - who's to say the OP's line can handle 19mbps for sure? With an attenuation near the mid 20s, it's never going to be an absolute that he'll get 16+. And I'm going on first hand experience of seeing/reconfiguring lines having worked for Sky and CST for around four years. I've dealt first hand with a lot more Sky customers/lines than you may have over forums.

you should be aware that while Noise Margin reflects what can be done with regards to improvement on the line, it seems that SKY's equipment can report 7db while still having "room to grow" with the sync rate... ive also seen DLM climb a users sync while also increasing the SNR from 15,300k / 7db to 18,013k / 8.1db the next day (over on other thread I posted on, go have a look)

.. so dont assume that because his SNR SAYS 7db that he cant go any higher with his sync speed (in this respect) because ive seen LOADS of sync rates go up with same 7db SNR just this last few weeks on new SKY migrations, I know that ADSL law says this should not happen, but SKY's DLM seems to be able to restrict the speed without reflecting the higher Noise Margin figure (as it should).
      Read up on how Sky's DLM works - DSL Expresse Software - ASSIA. It doesn't just touch bit rates, it also has numerous other settings within each profile, such as INP. If INP has been set too high, then that'll essentially 'cap' a line despite being at default SNR. Your assertion that this happens on every single line, however, is absolutely incorrect.

the OP should call SKY once MySky reports it as finished and I would be very surprised if they couldnt at least bump him up to the 18Mb profile - of course, calling SKY is hit&miss as we all know, so if he gets one that doesnt know how to do it or refuses to he should ring back and chances are next one will - the first person I called knew straight away..he said my 15Mb line should be doing 19Mb and he sorted it... my friend tom got same with first call, another friend got 2,000k extra too with first call.
      The OP can call Sky all he likes, but whether he gets any improvement is questionable. My point is that you're posting on threads claiming that DLM always leaves lines under-performing, which is just factually incorrect and it's setting expectations to new customers who read these threads beyond what they should probably have.
      NewsreadeR likes this.

williammorris Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Well if he dosen't get what he wants he can leave without penalty in 3 months! but at least sky have the balls to say that. Hopefully he wont have to!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12