Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

How fast download and upload speeds should I get?

This is a discussion on How fast download and upload speeds should I get? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, I have been on Sky Unlimited for nearly a year now and when I signed up the estimated ...

amberleaf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitby NEWHY
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

How fast download and upload speeds should I get?

Hi all,
      I have been on Sky Unlimited for nearly a year now and when I signed up the estimated download speed was 10MB...12MB. After the training period I was getting approx 7MB download speed and it seemed solid for a couple of months or so. Then it slowed down to about 3MB so I called Sky and after some further DLM testing it has been at 4.2MB approx. I am on the gaming profile with a 600kbps approx upload speed. The trouble is everything I find about attenuation, noise margins and distance from exchange state I should be able to get download speeds over 10MB. Even more annoying is the Sky website now states an even higher estimate for my area so I really do feel as though my connection speeds are being kept well below their true potential. Could someone advise me on a) what speeds I should realistically expect and b) if higher speeds should be attainable how can I get Sky to increase the settings at the exchange. Here are my Sky Router statistics for info:
      Connection Speed: 5399kbps 796kbps
      Line Attenuation: 30.0dB 19.4dB
      Noise Margin: 6.8dB 15.5dB

The estimated distance from exchange to my house in cabling terms, not straight line distance is 2.3km.

N.B. my Sky Router (Sagemcom 2304) is installed in my main socket in the hallway as recommended by Sky

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Re: How fast download and upload speeds should I get?

Quote Originally Posted by amberleaf View Post
      a) what speeds I should realistically expect
      Around 12mbps at a conservative guess.

b) if higher speeds should be attainable how can I get Sky to increase the settings at the exchange.
      Your downstream SNR is too low to support any higher. Sky's default is 7dB, thus you need some in hand to get higher than it is right now.

Do you have any noise on your telephone line? If you have a test socket, then plug the router into the test socket with just a filter and the short grey dsl cable that Sky provided.

Thanks

Thanks for the answers. There is a very slight audible hum on my telephone line when I pick it up and sometimes when I use it in my kitchen I get the odd crackle (its a wireless telephone). The telephone socket is goodness knows how old so doesn't have a test socket. Does it cost anything to get an engineer to come and check the connection to my house and/or fit a new master socket?

I've just tested my telephone setup, I have 4 telephones 1st in Hallway, 2nd in Living room (Sky HD Box), 3rd in Kitchen, and 4th in Office/Bedroom. After taking the Office/Bedroom one out of the socket I now get slightly higher (better?) attenuation and noise margin readings:

Downstream: Attn = 32dB, NM = 7dB
      Upstream: Attn = 19.5dB, NM =15.9

But the Connection Speed has dropped for Downstream to 5344kbps. Shouldn't things have improved?
      Last edited by amberleaf; 05-03-12 at 05:15 PM.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Thanks for the answers. There is a very slight audible hum on my telephone line when I pick it up and sometimes when I use it in my kitchen I get the odd crackle (its a wireless telephone).
      It's worthwhile checking whether this is part of the fault. Unplug every single device from every telephone socket and connect the handset direct at the master socket (no filters, no nothing, just the phone at the master socket). Pick it up and check for noise from there. May be worth while trying a corded handset just to make sure it's not the handset.

The telephone socket is goodness knows how old so doesn't have a test socket. Does it cost anything to get an engineer to come and check the connection to my house and/or fit a new master socket?
      If Sky need to log the fault to Openreach, you'll likely find that OR will replace the socket with a nte5 anyways. You won't be charged for a network uplift, provided that's where the issue is coming from.

I've just tested my telephone setup, I have 4 telephones 1st in Hallway, 2nd in Living room (Sky HD Box), 3rd in Kitchen, and 4th in Office/Bedroom. After taking the Office/Bedroom one out of the socket I now get slightly higher (better?) attenuation and noise margin readings:

Downstream: Attn = 32dB, NM = 7dB
      Upstream: Attn = 19.5dB, NM =15.9

But the Connection Speed has dropped for Downstream to 5344kbps. Shouldn't things have improved?
      Focus on the noise aspect as I mentioned earlier. If it ends up just being a cordless handset issue and you don't have any audible crackles/hum/whistle etc. then have you tried a filter direct at the master socket, short grey dsl cable going to the router with NO other equipment on all other sockets?

timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

Is every outlet that's connected filtered , & that includes the Sky HD box as when fitted by the "engineer" they won't usually filter it?

Thanks

Taking everything out and only having a corded telephone in my master socket was the first thing I did when checking my telephone setup and the line didn't seem any better. So I suspect there is a fault with the wiring to my socket, as I said the setup looks very old as the wire comes in through my porch and goes through 2 other small boxes before it gets to my socket in the hallway. One is a small square one and the other is narrow with rounded ends - I've no idea why they are used as they were in before I bought the property. So I'll contact Sky and see about getting an BT Openreach engineer to visit and check things out. My earlier hope that disconnecting some of the phones had increased the Noise Margin seems to misplaced as its down to 6.7..6.8dB again and I've replaced my wireless phone for now with a corded one.