Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

ethernet cable

This is a discussion on ethernet cable within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; As I shall shortly be joining Sky BB could I ask a simple question concerning the most efficient length of ...

jimbo174 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CHRISTCHURCH, DORSET
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

ethernet cable

As I shall shortly be joining Sky BB could I ask a simple question concerning the most efficient length of an ethernet cable. I understand that with most cables carrying a signal, the signal strength will reduce with an increase with cable length. What would you consider to be the maximum length of cable to connect the router to the PC? Am I correct in thinking that, if it can be done, an ethernet connection is superior to a wireless connection. Many thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: ethernet cable

Unless you have a house like Buckingham Palace you will not need to worry about the length of your ethernet cable. Cat5e which is most common, has a maximum recommended length of 100 metres. Cat6 is similar except it will support gigabit speeds.

In general ethernet cable is consistently faster than wireless and is not so susceptible to interference. I have seen claims that wireless is faster than cable, but I have never personally witnessed it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

jimbo174 (04-03-12)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Just to add to that, be careful not to get ultra cheap Cat 5e cable. This is often copper coated Aluminium of multi-stranded cable. Generally Cat 5e cable currently works out to be around 50p per metre at present.

As for laying the cable, avoid sharp bends and tacking the cable in place too tightly, as this will reduce the potential of the cable if it is a long one. Gentle bends are fine.

Also Cat 5e and Cat 6 works perfectly well on a 1Gbit LAN. Cat 6 actually supports 10Gbit. Cat 5 works at up to 100Mb.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

jimbo174 (05-03-12)

146Kg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router:
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Multi stranded is intended for making up patch leads, it is more resilient to being flexed, single stranded is intended for structured cabling.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 146Kg View Post
      Multi stranded is intended for making up patch leads, it is more resilient to being flexed, single stranded is intended for structured cabling.
      No problem.

Since the connectors mostly sold for Ethernet cable are IDC, it makes not sense to use multi-stranded cable as these wires do not make good connections normally in IDC connectors. Even if the cable has already been made up, it is quite easy to break the clip and normally it is very easy to replace the connector.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms