Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

called SKY to unlock 16Mb profile but fixed me on 18Mb profile?

This is a discussion on called SKY to unlock 16Mb profile but fixed me on 18Mb profile? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All well I finally got message in MySky that line training was finished so I thought now was the ...

snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

called SKY to unlock 16Mb profile but fixed me on 18Mb profile?

Hi All

well I finally got message in MySky that line training was finished so I thought now was the time to ring up and ask to be "un-capped" so i can play with the SNR on my Netgear and bump up the speed somewhat.. (15,400k / 25.5db / 7db)

the guy I talked to was a nice bloke (in UK... no asian call centers which I hate as it can be a struggle with language barrier, and the fact that a lot of them are just reading scripts off the screen and dont have a clue what your talking about) he knew exactly what I was on about straight away - he said my line should be capable of 19Mb (even though it was set at 15.4Mb which I believe is a 16Mb profile) , I thought he was a little bit optimistic for a 26db line, anyway he put me on hold and while I waited I noticed the speed increased from 15,400k to 17,800k still on 7db SNR!! - I was over the moon, I said to him "that's great, so its definitely unlocked so I can lower SNR and raise SYNC further shoudl I wish to?" and he replied "shouldnt be any problems" so I thanked him very much and hung up...

...I then plugged in my Netgear and found that this time the SNR would reduce, but no matter how far down i got the SNR the sync rate would not go above 18,006k , it was same 18,006k @ 3.5db, 3.9db and 4.5db SNR, so this appears to me that the connection is now bound to an 18Mb profile and while I can now adjust the SNR (where before I couldnt) it means I can not get any extra speed out of it as its locked to 18Mbps.. I plugged sagemcom back in and it sync'd to 18,013k @ 7db

would I be right in assuming that it is locked to an 18Mb profile? if so, whats happened here if its supposed to be "un-capped"...

ive been thinking about ringing back up BUT iam well happy with 18,000k / 26db @ 7db - I was getting 18,600k-19,200k on o2 with a tweaked SNR down to 2-3db!!! and 16,900k on 6.5db!! so immediatley it seems now SKY is performing better than o2 on same line!! well, in terms of sync rates... latency is a fraction slower than I had with o2 and has some spikes during peak hours but nothing serious and never above grade B on pingtest...

2 B honest im thinking about just leaving it, Iam happy enough at least I know I will be safe from errors

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 18013 kbps 1161 kbps
      Line Attenuation 25.5 dB 14.6 dB
      Noise Margin 6.6 dB 8.7 dB

CMD Prompt pings are 31-33ms all the time with occasional 50ms one and Pingtest is Grade A most the time
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts
      I would suggest that you have a good result there.

The upload speed is good and is a key issue that gets forgotten. Yours is looking very good now.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Re: called SKY to unlock 16Mb profile but fixed me on 18Mb profile?

Should be able to get the full 20MB with snr tweaking.
      Calls with Sky are a bit of hit and a miss.
      Is the hassle worth it?

You decide.

Thanks

@ Exdee - this is it - i dunno how SKY's system works... it seems that it runs a test and sets the line to the profile closest to the test result, i may be wrong as Iam just guessing, maybe thats all they can do and reps cant actually "un-cap" the line??!!?! the rep was very knowledgeable and knew his stuff and knew what I was on about with SNR etc and I made it clear I wanted the line "un-capped" even saying it a second time at end of the call...

my guess is if the system tests the max speed of your line and its 17,800k then its closer to 18Mb profile than a 16Mb profile and so sets it on 18Mb meaning you can get up-to 18Mb but not above it, had my line got 19,001k then maybe it would have enabled the 20Mb profile (which is what is referred to as 'un-capped') maybe anyway, like I say im just guessing - I say this because if the rep can push a button to force an un-capped profile then why didnt he?

also, I cant ring them until I fix my wifi woes I have with the PC, the sagemcom gets a better signal to the PC (even though same 55db in inSSIDer) and Netgear (for some reason) has gone all-to-**** when it was fine before...I will sort it out at weekend.

PPPoA + Netgear GT seemed to have better latency than MER+Sagemcom ...but only tiny bit

but yeah, really happy with those results... 18,013k is great for a 26db line / 7db SNR
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Ever thought of just continuing a single thread as opposed to starting multiple ones?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

@ snadge

When setting a line manually the advisor can select which ever profile they want. In my experience they are usually hesitant to set you on the 20/1.3 profile so persistence is the key here.

MeanMint is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

According to the Kitz website a attenuation of 25.5 Db would give a top speed of 18144Kbps.

I would leave well alone, you cannot defy the laws of physics.

ediz551 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: biggin hill
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

you should be able to hit the 20meg mark
      at 7db i normally sync at around 17,500
      with some tweaking hitting 19meg completely stable
      Downstream Upstream
      19103 kbps 1157 kbps
      25.5 db 13.3 db
      3.3 db 8.5 db

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MeanMint View Post
      According to the Kitz website a attenuation of 25.5 Db would give a top speed of 18144Kbps.

I would leave well alone, you cannot defy the laws of physics.
      Hi MeanMint, if my 25.5db can yield 18Mb then I can easily get 20Mb by reducing the SNR down to 3db - I had it down to 2.5db on o2 for years and worked fine with no error increase.. - but, as its fixed on 18Mb I can not go above that no matter what....

@ IWasNotTheEnemy - sorry, I just remembered I have one other thread about similar subject , so perhaps I could of but reason I didnt was incase somebody who already seen the other thread but was no longer reading it may have an answer so I catch users attention with a new post as this subject is about the "call to SKY" whereas the other one is about "SNR Tweaking on sagemcom router" - so in that respect they are seperate subjects and therefore can be posted seperately - if one keeps tying related subjects into one really long posts then your unlikely to bring new users to your 'new' queries.
      Last edited by snadge; 04-03-12 at 09:27 PM.
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: called SKY to unlock MB profile but fixed me on 18Mb profile?

Before this falls in to a smelly pit, could I point out a few facts with regards to adjusting the SNR/ Noise Margin:
      1. DLM is constantly running in the background monitoring your connection, should the errors rise too high, it will reduce your connection speed
      2. many members have been successfully in altering the connection speed, with a modest increase
      3. if you push the connection speed beyond the ability of your personal telephone line, then errors will build up and DLM will kick in
      4. Sky sets the default Noise Margin at no less than DB on both the downstream and upstream connections
      5. to prevent atmospheric interference (or actually lack of) from lowering the noise margin and raising the connection speed, DLM caps the connection speed for the best speed on your line
      6. you will be unable to raise the connection speed above the capped line speed, no matter how low you set the noise margins
      7. the best way to improve your connection speed is to ensure that you have a clean connection between the router and the telephone exchange. A poor quality short line will not support a high connection speed, where as a good quality long line will support a stable connection
      8. being disrespectful to other members is not tolerated

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast