Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

called SKY to unlock 16Mb profile but fixed me on 18Mb profile?

This is a discussion on called SKY to unlock 16Mb profile but fixed me on 18Mb profile? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; @ Scubbie - Iam aware of all that, and know what my line can handle with regards to noise margin ...

snadge is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blaydon
      Broadband ISP: SKY Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: called SKY to unlock 16Mb profile but fixed me on 18Mb profile?

@ Scubbie - Iam aware of all that, and know what my line can handle with regards to noise margin and errors as I had it down to 1.9db on o2 without any increase in errors as per DMT tool - this allowed me to get an extra 3,000k in sync rate at no cost of error-correction or re-transmits, therefore I should easily hit 19,999k on SKY with a 3-4db NM.

Iam sorry if I come across as dis-respectful to MeanMint, I did not mean too... I have edited the post.
      - Hardware - Netgear DG834Nv1
      - Line Attenuation - 27.5db
      - Sync Rate - 17,600k
      - Noise Margin - 7db
      - Latency - 28ms

2. Advertisement
      MeanMint is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I would love to have seen the unedited post.

I have read a lot of forums and users going on about getting the max out of their Broadband speeds.

When I was with Sky and living 5Km from the exchange and with a reported downstream Attenuation of 65.5 Db, but a real figure of 73.5Db, I could only dream of getting 18Mbps. My actual throughput with Sky was 375Kbps on a good day.

That was all partly to do with my line to my Telegraph pole but no matter what I said to Sky as they would have to pay Openreach to correct they would do nothing and said that's the best my line could handle.

Why you want an extra 2Mbps on your line is beyond me, an 11% increase in download performance at best. Wow you would save an extra minute downloading a GB file.

timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MeanMint View Post
      Why you want an extra 2Mbps on your line is beyond me, an 11% increase in download performance at best. Wow you would save an extra minute downloading a GB file.
      Bragging rights?

I sync at 16meg & can tweak that to 18meg but what do I really gain by doing that? Not a lot!

So now I leave it at 16meg which is more than fast enough for me - and I do download quite a lot.
      Last edited by timc; 05-03-12 at 07:49 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12