Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Newbie considering moving to Sky.

This is a discussion on Newbie considering moving to Sky. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all and congratulations on the forum. I've had a couple of visits and it looks good. Apologies for what ...

badger_rs350 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLHLG
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Newbie considering moving to Sky.

Hi all and congratulations on the forum. I've had a couple of visits and it looks good.

Apologies for what must be one of the most asked questions but I am considering moving to Sky Broadband from my current ISP.
      I won't name them because that's not really relevant on here but after sterling service for a couple of years I'm now experiencing traffic shaping at peak times. To be fair I believe it's not an ISP issue and is a BT exchange issue but it's served as a timely reminder to see what else is out there.
      I used to get a rock solid 6-7Mb speed regardless of the time of day but this can drop to 1-3Mb now at peak times despite my router stats not altering. My IP profile has always been 7150Kbps.

Anyway, I've done a search on Sam knows and it would appear that I could get LLU from my exchange (SLHLG) and the Sky test has suggested a connection speed of between 16-18Mb.
      For info, I have been a Sky tv subscriber for a few years and currently have the HD package.

I have attached a recent router stats and would be grateful if someone could take a look and give their opinion on what I'm likely to achieve.

speedtest23 09-01-12 router stats.pdf

Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Newbie considering moving to Sky.

Welcome to the forum,

ADSL2+ Speed Test

We estimate your line is capable of between 16mb to 24mb broadband on an ADSL2+ service. This ADSL2 Line Speed Calculator is a best guess only, as to the broadband speed that maybe possible on your telephone line. The checker provides results of up to 24mb with the data that is made available to us. This is purely for indication only and should not be classed as the Line Speed that you would receive on any ADSL or LLU product from another ISP.
      Due to the fact that your Telephone Line does not run in a straight line from the Exchange, the Distance from Exchange figures, are interpreted as if your Telephone Line is that exact length. In reality, you will find it highly unlikely that this is the case.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

You are currently on an ADSL1 connection, at the maximum connection speed allowed for such a connection. You exchange does not have BTO's 21CN so your provider is unable to provide a faster connection.

As for traffic shaping, all BT Wholesale products are subjected to this. Sky's Broadband connect package is the worst example.

Your exchange though does have Sky's LLU equipment, so you would definitely benefit from moving across. Based on your current Line Attenuation, which will increase from DB to around 26-28dB, you should expect to get between 14mb to 16mb on your current connection. I have used the tool available on this forum to help work this out, using the higher Line attenuation of 28dB.

SkyUser - Potential ADSL2 Line Speed Checker & Calculator

One very important difference between ADSL1 and ADSL2+ is that ADSL2+ does not like to be on any extensions. If this is the case at the moment, consider where your Master Socket is and look at how practical it would be to fit a filtered faceplate (if you have any hard wired extensions) and use it with your Sky connection.

I have also seen the Line Attenuation reduce a little when people have switched from using the extension to using the Master Socket.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Hi and thank you very much for your swift replies, especially Scubbie.

The router stats I submitted are from a Netgear DG834v3 (not wireless) router and this is hard wired on an internal extension to my study. I have had an IP plate fitted to the master socket in the lounge for some time and there are 2 extensions hard wired to this. Only the study extension is used and I would like to install any future equipment here.
      I have looked at the extension wiring and it seems fine with the normal 2 pairs used. I'm familiar with the bell wire but preferred to fit an I plate rather than remove this wire.
      This wiring was installed as part of the house build some 9 years ago and is not a DIY effort.

I have not tried with my equipment plugged into the master test socket as this is not easily achievable.
      Being a bit of a novice, I didn't think my router stats were that bad?
      I would like to try a temporary lead from my router to the master test socket though for comparison purposes if anyone knows where I can get one around 10m long?

Thanks

It is possible to temporarily remove the I-Plate to reveal the Test Socket.

Why was the I-Plate fitted? Was it in relation to the ring-wire or do you have an issue with REIN?

I believe that the new vDSL (it also works with ADSL connections) Filtered Faceplate might be a good solution for you to consider. I would suggest that you take a look at run-It-direct's site and give Dave a call. He does contribute periodically to this forum and generally products arrive the next day if ordered before 4pm.

BT/Openreach VDSL/ADSL Premium Faceplate

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

aha, so it's 'dave' i spoke to.
      i can highly recommend calling, badger_rs350. he is & they are brilliant.

Thanks

Hi and thank you for your replies.

I fitted the I plate last year sometime when I was suffering the first bout of speed issues and did it just for curiosity sake really. It turned out that theres was an exchange issue at that time but I've never felt the need to remove the face plate since then. For info the downstream noise margin drops by 1-2dB if I remove the faceplate and look at the router stats again.

Thank you for the link to the vDSL faceplate, that looks interesting.

In reality I have no issue with using the test socket, as indeed my current ISP has requested, but I've been here before with BT and it was a waste of time. Because my system is effectively hard wired it takes a lot of effort to move the gear out of the study and into the lounge where the master socket is.

To be fair to my current ISP their customer service has been very good but you do pay for that. If I had the same speed consistency I've been used to then I probably wouldn't be looking elsewhere.

So considering the router stats I supplied which are pretty consistent, in your opinion would that be a good basis for considering the move to Sky unlimited?

Looking at various posts on here I can see the usual good and bad reports but sometimes speed isn't the only thing to be considered.

Thanks again and I look forward to anyones views.

Thanks

The issues surrounding ADSL1 & ADSL2+ on extensions are more common than many people would realise.

A few years back my ISP asked if anyone was interested in trying out ADSL2+ and I was one of the lucky ones to join the trial. Before the trial I had been using my router on an extension, soon after it started I moved to using the Master socket and experienced an increase in my connection speed as a result.

I would suggest that you look as some of the suggested methods of extending your home network. One of the things that you can do is to make use of your existing router too.

One potential idea would be to have the Sky router near to your Master Socket. Use a pair of HomePlugs, one by the Sky router, the 2nd beside your old router. Configure your old router to 'piggyback' on to the Sky router. This would provide you with a simple method to get the best Internet connection speed, with minimal DIY.

There are many alternative solutions available. Please take a look at the documents in the threads linked below:

How to connect two Routers together

Extending your Home Network

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

So considering the router stats I supplied which are pretty consistent, in your opinion would that be a good basis for considering the move to Sky unlimited?
      I would say so, you will get at least double the download speed you have and more than double the upload and it will be unthrottled and unlimited. A no brainer really

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Once again thanks for your feedback.

Only a quick reply as I'm at work but looks like some interesting reading to do from Scubby, thank you.
      I'm wary that this doesn't turn into a 'how to fix your current ISP problems' thread as that's not my intention but at the same time any improvements I can make my end will only be beneficial no matter which route I take in the end.

Thanks again and I'll feedback when I've done some reading.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast