Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Newbie considering moving to Sky.

This is a discussion on Newbie considering moving to Sky. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by badger_rs350 Once again thanks for your feedback. Only a quick reply as I'm at work but looks ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Newbie considering moving to Sky.

Quote Originally Posted by badger_rs350 View Post
      Once again thanks for your feedback.

Only a quick reply as I'm at work but looks like some interesting reading to do from Scubby, thank you.
      lol - The documents were composed because there were a lot of posts asking fairly typical questions and one person would phrase the answer one one way, whilst another would say something else. Occasionally something might get missed and a mistake would occur.

Hopefully you will find them relatively easy to follow. Should you have any issues, please feel free to post a question.

Quote Originally Posted by badger_rs350 View Post
      I'm wary that this doesn't turn into a 'how to fix your current ISP problems' thread as that's not my intention but at the same time any improvements I can make my end will only be beneficial no matter which route I take in the end.

Thanks again and I'll feedback when I've done some reading.
      As mentioned in post #3, you have the fastest possible connection from your current ISP at the moment. Until BTO upgrade your exchange, this will not change.

As Tom said in post #9, you have the potential to double your connection speeds.

Hopefully the advise we have shared with you in this thread will provide you the suitable knowledge to make the most of your potential speed when you move across to Sky.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      badger_rs350 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLHLG
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Hi again.

Well the update is that I've bitten the bullet and placed an order for Sky unlimited broadband today.

I did notice on the Sky info that I will be asked to provide a MAC code at some stage but on reading other posts I'm not sure this will be required?

My current line is with BT and my ISP is Fast.co.uk. I'm also unsure whether I'll be charged a ceasation fee with me migrating to LLU?
      It's in Fast's T&C's that the BT ceasation charge will be forwarded onto the customer but my current understanding as that Sky actually pay BT to change the line over from their equipment to Sky's so that charge shouldn't apply?

Again, apologies for these questions that I'm sure have been asked before.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I did notice on the Sky info that I will be asked to provide a MAC code at some stage but on reading other posts I'm not sure this will be required?
      This has been discussed a lot recently. Get a MAC and give it to Sky. In all probability your broadband will then be moved before your phone line, making it a seamless move for both the phone and the broadband. If you move using a MAC there is no question of a cease charge being made.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

In light of some recent posts, it is perhaps a good idea to obtain a MAC code from your old ISP. If it isn't used, then there is no harm. You should not get any grief from them in obtaining the code and you have 30 days in which to use it.

If however you end up getting charged a fee and you didn't get a MAC code, then you will only end up kicking yourself

I get the impression that Sky have changed the process recently, but no one from Sky has confirmed this as yet on the forum.

Edit: pmsl - Tom got there first.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Thank you both for your quick replies.

I have read quite a few posts on this subject and there seems to be conflicting advice so I'll request a MAC just to cover all bases.

Thanks

A little update.

My current ISP gave me my MAC after 4 working days and this was submitted an accepted straight away.

I have my phone date (19th March) and my broadband box status has changed to green and 'your order is being prepared for delivery' on the tracking page.

There is however still a red box on the tracking for BB unlimted but I presume this is because they haven't finalised a date yet?

The letter and e-mail I've received don't quite match up but after reading a few posts on here I didn't want to go chasing them in case it complicates the order.

My intention at the moment is just to hang fire and let things unfold.

Thanks

Latest update.

I've got a little concerned I've had no information about my BB so have rung Sky twice now.

First reply said that my submitted MAC was no good, then when I argued the case the reply was that there's a problem with the on-line system not being able to accept the order for phone and BB. I've been 'advised' that I should get the phone transferred on Monday then they will re-submit my BB order and that this will take 7-10 working days!

Rung again tonight and was told that my router was on it's way but I suspect this was a standard reply as my tracking status hasn't changed.

On both occasions I've stressed that I would appreciate as near to a seamless transfer as possbile because I need to have internet access - private not business related - and would happily have waited longer for both services to be transferred.

I'm concerned now that if the phone gets transferred on Monday that my current ISP (Fast.co.uk) will not give me internet access because I'm not using a BT line.

I'm not happy with the Sky experience and am seriously questioning my decision to move.

Thanks

Do you have your Sky Router yet?

I shouldn't worry too much about the MAC code now since you are so close to the transfer date. If anything MAC codes should be used when the original order is placed.

Thanks

Hi Scubbie.

No, I've had no feedback on when I'll get the router, either on the phone, on-line tracking or letter.

My status on the BB tracker hasn't changed since submitting my MAC on the 8th, 4 days after submitting my order

What's concerning me is the way that the BB and phone orders now seem to have been split.

If I'm without internet access for an additional 7-10 working days after my phone line has changed I won't be happy.

Thanks

Some members of the forum were under the impression that Sky had recently changed their policy, but it seems that you have been put through the old route.

I can only suggest that you raise this as a serious complaint as you are going to be without a broadband connection come Monday. You need a Sky router as a minimum and your old ISP will no longer be able to provide a broadband connection through the Sky telephone line.

Attempting to cancel the order at this late stage will leave you without any connection.

What has been suggested in the past is to purchase a pay-as-you-go 3G USB Dongle and to use that whilst you don't have the broadband on the land-line. Provided that you confirm this with Sky first, you should be within your rights to claim any costs back.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast