Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Major Broadband Fault - 2 years on and still no progress :(

This is a discussion on Major Broadband Fault - 2 years on and still no progress :( within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, this is a long post but I wondered if anyone would be able to help me here, For ...

amalkin93 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Holmfirth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Unhappy Major Broadband Fault - 2 years on and still no progress :(

Hi there, this is a long post but I wondered if anyone would be able to help me here,

For the past two years or so my broadband connection has been extremely unstable and not acceptable. I have had over 20 BT visits and literally have had to phone Skys CST department every other week, as you might imagine, this is very frustrating. I thought to not rule out anything, I would use SkyUser to see if anyone else who either has experience or great knowledge in ADSL issues could help me, as well as allowing anyone else who has a problem like this to be able to benefit from this forum.

A summary of the issue
      Almost every time the phone rings, the router will lose sync momentarily, going from around 13db to a negative. The broadband will also lose sync around once every two hours even if the phone is not in use or is unplugged. In addition, when using the phone whilst the broadband is re-syncing there is a loud humming ambience which blocks out the voice of the caller (this is not a crackle), this hum will also be present when the router is connected again but will be quieter. This has existed for two years, but it has only been in the last year that the phone has started to interfere (previously the router disconnected anytime, regardless of phone usage).

I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me fix this problem for me, as its becoming a real issue both in terms of my work (web server management and architecture student) and leisure (online games and Skype are usually imposible!).

A bit of info...

Sky Contract
      We are currently on the Sky Unlimited package, we have been with Sky many years, since they first provided broadband. I cant remember if this issue occurred previously since it has only been in the past two years when I had needed a stable connection for work, however I used to play a lot of online only games which I cannot recall having connection issues with when I was younger.

Internals
      We have a single line which has NO extensions what so ever (we have persimmon from Sky to have our SkyHD boxes unplugged from the phone line). There is a single master socket around 5 meters from the outside junction on out house, this has been refitted about 10 times on the many BT visits, currently it is an iPlate but there has been no difference between any. I am currently not using the iPlates filter as it seemed to make the line disconnect even more frequently, I am using one of Skys filters but I have changed this many times, using different brands and models - no difference. The router is the newer Sagemcom router, we have had 2 replacements of these and we previously had the Netgear white model - all experienced exact same issue. Both the phone and router are plugged into this filter, from this the sky router connects to 1 Mac and 1 PC and an Apple Airport wifi base station/router all via ethernet (i dont use the sky router wifi, disabled) the phone is standard relatively simple phone, no set or wireless base etc, however we previously had a wireless phone set which experienced the same voice exact issues.

Externals
      The line is completely underground. About 10 meters from the house is a manhole which has been opened two times by BT, who inspected and refitted some of the joint connectors/sealers which had apparently caused leakage into the line before. The cabinet is about 1 mile away, on a random hill, it serves our village which has about 200-300 houses, all which have been built in the past 10 years. This cabinet has also been checked by BT and has had several cables replaced for us. Recently a FTTC cab has been placed next to it, which is live, although im not interested in upgrading right now, mainly due to the cost and lack of providers on it. The exchange is Holmfirth, Huddersfield, according to the line tests we are about 5km from it. We have had a 'lift and shift' and a tie pair switch etc.

Sync Rate Details
      Retrieved from routers web page interface:

System Details
      Manufacturer Sagemcom
      Model Number F@ST2304
      Firmware Version 5.14.6.1a4N
      ADSL Firmware Version A2pD030n.d23b

Modem
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 3072 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 800 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3072 kbps 800 kbps
      Line Attenuation 55.0 dB 31.5 dB
      Noise Margin 13.3 dB 9.0 dB

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 175395 270446 0 19539850 355612413 2:41:50
      LAN Up 4440928 2967346 0 4294967294 438961912 119:00:09
      WLAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 0:00:00

Speed Test

Our speed has always remained pretty much the same since we have been with Sky.

Other Observations
      When the router is about to go down, the speed becomes incredible slow, I go to the router and the D/S noise margin is around 0.1db, after a minute it will be at something like -1 and will disconnect then re-sync at normal 13db.

This maybe just a coincidence but I think its worth noting, over the past two years of this issue, when it has snowed or when there has been a week of intense rain, the line will become stable and perfect, both December 2010 and December 2012 the line did not lose sync at all according to the logs and from using it. In the summer the line disconnected almost every 10 mins and right now its dry but cold and its disconnecting about once every 2-3 hours or when the phone rings. Odd?

BT's line tests always pass, they give us the excuse 'its because your far form the exchange' yet there are around 250 houses, business and a school in the area, no one I know is having an issue like this around here. Usually they never see the disconnect occur when they are visiting, and they claim this hum is normal or not relevant - useless company

I would be extremely grateful if anyone would be able to assist me with this issue here, I have found Skys customer solutions team to be very helpful and responsive to this, however they cant get past the poor experience we have had from the Openreach engineers. I want to keep with Sky as there side of the service has been excellent, when we are connected we get a solid, low latency connection. I have considered the fibre (FTTC) option with other ISPs but theres no guarantee that would fix it right now.

Thank you in advance

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Major Broadband Fault - 2 years on and still no progress :(

Quote Originally Posted by amalkin93 View Post
      ...Almost every time the phone rings, the router will lose sync momentarily, going from around 13db to a negative...
      This indicates that there is a short somewhere on your line. Looking at your stats you are some distance from the exchange.

Just where that short is should be quite easy to locate, but there may be several joints to check between your home and the exchange.

I am wondering as you have had so many visits whether it is worth contacting Sky's Executive Team over this. They may be able to lite the proverbial fire underneath BTO to find it.

In the mean time, take a little careful look at what telephone wire you can seen leaving your home. I have heard of a nasty trick in the past where someone has deliberately put a small pin or staple through a Satellite lead to ruin someone's signal. It is possible that someone has done this with a telephone line too.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

amalkin93 (25-02-12)

Thanks

Hi Scubbie, thanks for the quick reply!

I have always called Skys CST team via a direct number, how would I obtain a number or contact for the executives team?

Also about the pins, the line runs vertically up from the BT junction in the garden to my office and it seems in good condition, however when the line comes inside, it is converted to a thinner cable which is somehow stapled to the skirting board, now you've mentioned it I will try get that properly inspected or refitted.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks

What you described is a "high resistance" fault. It is the responsibility of whomever you pay your line rental to fix this kind of issue. They in turn contract out the work to BTO.

Essentially it is possible that somewhere at least one of the two wires in your telephone line is shorting somewhere. If could be shorting with the other wire or with something else. This is a common fault and should be easy to resolve, once the location has been identified.

You can email the Executive team via: jeremy.darroch at bskyb.com (please remove spaces as required)

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

amalkin93 (25-02-12)

Thanks

A while ago when I was Googling around about this issue, I came across many posts where people had a similar issue, they also described it as a high-open/high-resistance fault, one forum I found described how water in the joints underground could actually prevent the loss of sync by allowing the wires to float rather than all crunch at the bottom, this sounds similar to what I described in the last section of my initial post 'over the past two years of this issue, when it has snowed or when there has been a week of intense rain, the line will become stable and perfect'.

Thanks for providing me with the email adress of who to contact, I hope they can get BT to sort this, it seems to be a case of being lucky enough to get an decent engineer, most of the times they come, do a line test, see it 'pass', then leave or say they will pass it on

Cheers

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Something else to consider is a possible part-aluminium line, which isn't as good as holding a signal so when the line is active on a voice call it might drop the BB...I'd imagine this would have been tested but you never know...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

10. The Following User Says Thank You to IWasNotTheEnemy For This Useful Post:

amalkin93 (28-02-12)

Thanks

Hmm, would this be likely part of the line past BT's side of, ie. past their junction in my garden?

Reason im asking is that the line which its using to get to the master socket is fairly old, but BT's tests always come back as 'perfect quality line, we cant help you'.

Thanks for your help

Thanks

BT Openreach's responsibility is from your Master Socket all the way to the Telephone Exchange, to the point that it connects to Sky's LLU equipment. In some areas (i.e. Basingstoke) BT installed Aluminium cable before ADSL was popular. Currently any new estates or where existing wiring has been stolen, BTO are using copper coated aluminium cable.

Do check whether or not you can get FTTC where you live as you maybe able to get Sky's new SBUF soon. Your exchange has been upgraded. As with most areas though, not everyone can get FTTC though.

Thanks

Hi, yes I only saw from joining this forum that Sky have FTTC. It was installed on my exchange in September 2011, I know this from several of the Openreach engineers telling me, also I walk past the cabinet everyday to the bus and I saw the entire construction of the new cabinet, here are pictures of it,

Major Broadband Fault - 2 years on and still no progress :(-img_3125.jpgMajor Broadband Fault - 2 years on and still no progress :(-img_3124.jpgMajor Broadband Fault - 2 years on and still no progress :(-img_3050.jpg

Im 100% sure its FTTC, also some of the neighbors around us have upgraded to BT broadband and plusnet on it, however as I mentioned in my initial post, I dont want to move from Sky, so I will get theirs when it comes out, but im not convinced it would fix this all?

Thanks

Thanks

That is both your normal cabinet (the old one) and a new FTTC cabinet. I've sent you a link to the Infinity Availability checker (also available in the FAQ). This should give you some idea as to whether you can get SBUF in April.

As for stability, the main issue I suspect is between the cabinet and the exchange. You are some distance from it and from what little I know about the area, it is likely that your wiring isn't perfect. If it is the case that the damage is between the green street cabinet and the exchange, then getting FTTC would resolve any issues instantly.

That does leave the potential for an issue between your home and the green street cabinet though.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

amalkin93 (29-02-12)

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast