Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Major Broadband Fault - 2 years on and still no progress :(

This is a discussion on Major Broadband Fault - 2 years on and still no progress :( within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Fitting an RF3 filter can sometimes help, but there is no guarantee. - BT 80B RF3 Junction Box (3 way ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Major Broadband Fault - 2 years on and still no progress :(

Fitting an RF3 filter can sometimes help, but there is no guarantee. - BT 80B RF3 Junction Box (3 way IDC to 3 way screw connectors with RFI protection)

The new VDSL filters have one of these fitted.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

amalkin93 (10-06-12)

3. Advertisement
      amalkin93 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Holmfirth
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Fitting an RF3 filter can sometimes help, but there is no guarantee. - BT 80B RF3 Junction Box (3 way IDC to 3 way screw connectors with RFI protection)

The new VDSL filters have one of these fitted.
      Interesting, by VSDL filter, do you mean the newer BTO faceplates which look like this? http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/image...s/DSCF0410.jpg

Before my recent BTO/Sky visit, I had one of those, but the engineer recently removed it and replaced it with one like this http://www.avoro.co.uk/images/LJ5204.jpg

However, I've always used the test socket, so if that bypassed the RF3 filter then it wont be that, any idea weather the test socket is filtered by it?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

No the VDSL filter looks like this -
      BT/Openreach VDSL/ADSL Premium Faceplate

I don't think the ADSL type which you had, has the RF filter built in. The BTO should have replaced it with a similar one if it was faulty, not a standard NTE5a which you have now. Filtered faceplates have proved themselves to be more efficient than plug in filters.

If you have an RF3 fitted, like my previous link, it is fitted on the incoming wire before it goes into the Master socket.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      No the VDSL filter looks like this -
      BT/Openreach VDSL/ADSL Premium Faceplate

I don't think the ADSL type which you had, has the RF filter built in. The BTO should have replaced it with a similar one if it was faulty, not a standard NTE5a which you have now. Filtered faceplates have proved themselves to be more efficient than plug in filters.

If you have an RF3 fitted, like my previous link, it is fitted on the incoming wire before it goes into the Master socket.
      Ok, well BTO removed and took the old built in filter socket, and Sky made the remove the RF filter too, as on there end it apparently caused errors. Luckily they are installing Fibre in a week so they will likely install a new one.

The BTO guy also swapped the old wall cable round, to a thicker 'twisted pair' type cable, will this be a benefit to the line?

Thanks

Alright so I followed the tutorial on the link Isitme sent (thanks!), I used a MW radio at the 612khz mark, and found a possible source.

We have a Gigaset digital phone set, which uses a base station box to communicate to the handsets in the house. When using the MW radio, it emits a horrid loud buzz which pulses through the room its in, I found no other devices emitting such noise, only a little expected white noise from computer PSUs and screens. Ive moved the base station as far away as I can from the phone socket (about 5 metres) and now the sound cannot be picked up on the radio around the master socket area.

Now it would make sense that this base station could of been causing this, as it was right next to the master socket, however i've had this base station sometime, even before the first occurrence of this new issue last week. Also the times the SNR has gone crazy do not coincide with any specific handset/base station usage time?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Change to a basic corded phone and see how things go
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      Change to a basic corded phone and see how things go
      Cant really do that, this phone system is quite pricy and would be a waste to not use, im not totally sure it is this even.

Also I have mentioned previously that I cant use basic corded phones on my line as they short it on every call.

For now i've moved it physically away from the line, beyond a point to where it can be heard on a radio, I still have some suspicions that its being caused by something the neighbours are using as the high noise times dont match any usage patterns in my home, however the patterns only occur at mornings and evenings, not during the night or during the day when they have gone to work.

If this continues Ill try get Sky to get those REIN engineers out to see, hopefully we can track it down.

Thanks

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

So you think you know where the issue is but don't want to try and fix it yourself - even if it's your expensive phone system? In that case why are Sky even helping you?

Surely it's easier for you to remove everything and just use a corded handset for the sake of ruling things out? I'm surprised BT/Sky haven't told you to remove all this before sending the first engineer!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      So you think you know where the issue is but don't want to try and fix it yourself - even if it's your expensive phone system? In that case why are Sky even helping you?

Surely it's easier for you to remove everything and just use a corded handset for the sake of ruling things out? I'm surprised BT/Sky haven't told you to remove all this before sending the first engineer!
      Have already tested with an old handset for over a year, in which there were numerous other problems including a leaking cabinet, a bad underground joint and a DSLAM issue, which have now been fixed thanks to Sky with BTO.

And believe me, you wont believe how much equipment I have swapped around in attempt to fix this, the main issue which turned out to be an external line fault.

This issue has only just arisen, these handsets have been in possession for months, it makes no sense to fully pinpoint them for a recent issue, there has been months at a time when the BB has been fine even when the base station was right next to the master.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

I have to say that I would side with IWNTE and agree that you should at least try a corded telephone. It is actually good practise to have a corded telephone to hand anyway. Should you have a localised power cut, the corded telephone should still work and allow you to summon help if required.

We aren't suggesting that you forget your DECT phone. If it proves to be causing a problem, then I would suggest that you consider enquiring about getting it repaired as it is not functioning correctly.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast