Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Major Broadband Fault - 2 years on and still no progress :(

This is a discussion on Major Broadband Fault - 2 years on and still no progress :( within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; You'd be welcome to pitch a tent near where I live in order to get a better connection. It's a ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Major Broadband Fault - 2 years on and still no progress :(

You'd be welcome to pitch a tent near where I live in order to get a better connection. It's a long trip though.

I am hoping that a change to FTTC would resolve your issues. If it doesn't then you'll have to consider a FTTP service.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      amalkin93 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Holmfirth
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I wish there was FTTP where I live, I dont think BTO have any plans for it due to the shear distance to the FTTC DSLAM and Virgin have no interest around here either.

Update on the line: its back to normal now, something is definitely triggering a problem here, im now going to log this down and try to find if theres a weather trend or maybe even ask the neighbour if they're using something specific at these times which could be interfering.

Thanks

I know that VM are not in your area. Apparently they are in breach of contract. Apparently they claim that since that contract was with a previous Cable company (which they effectively took over) that it doesn't apply to them.

I know if a new Cable company bought the rights from under them, they'd be well upset.

As for FTTP, BTO are planning to introduce FTTP on Demand. I think that it will be next year, but the installation fees are apparently quite high. We shall have to wait and see what happens and obviously wait to see which ISPs will supply it.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

amalkin93 (08-06-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I know that VM are not in your area. Apparently they are in breach of contract. Apparently they claim that since that contract was with a previous Cable company (which they effectively took over) that it doesn't apply to them.

I know if a new Cable company bought the rights from under them, they'd be well upset.

As for FTTP, BTO are planning to introduce FTTP on Demand. I think that it will be next year, but the installation fees are apparently quite high. We shall have to wait and see what happens and obviously wait to see which ISPs will supply it.
      Yeh I doubt it would be affordable for my connection, there would have to be about 1 mile of fibre laid, like I said we can only get around 15mb on FTTC due to the length. I bet the famers who live next to the cabs here are so buying into the fibre, I can totally see them using the 80 meg down! :P

Thanks

Update: The executive broadband team rung me today and have said they believe there is a new problem on the line and that they are going to attempt to gather evidence to help BTO sort it, they asked me to ring the number provided whenever the noise spikes happen to get a line test done. As for fibre, they have placed it on my account and I will have a BTO instalment visit in 10 days.

So looks good, pleased Sky didn't let me down in the end, there executive team obviously knows how to handle stuff!
      Scubbie likes this.

Thanks

Ok so the Fibre is going ahead, Ive booked the BTO installement and had all the texts. Sky have been so kind that they have refunded me 50 for instalment and the 2 for the router, they also said they may discount my monthly rate due to the poor Fibre/cab distance in my area, I am approximated 13Mbps, I currently am on 2.5.

As for the recent line issue, its still ongoing, and its definitely not a water issue. Its only happening during the day, and when it does, its for period/blocks like an hour or so where the noise margins fluctuate really low, Im wondering if my neighbours have recently purchased something like a new WiFi router or radio which could be causing this? Anyone know of cases like this?

Thanks
      Scubbie likes this.

Thanks

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Do any of your neighbours experience similar disconnection issues?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It looks like it could be a REIN problem. It may be worth pushing BTO to check this. The problem is it can be caused by a multitude of things. One person reported that a failing TV several houses away managed to knock out half a street. Another that it only happened when his other half was having her daily run on their treadmill in their garage. Have a look at Kitz's excellent article on this -
      ::. Kitz - REIN .::

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

amalkin93 (10-06-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      It will be interesting to see what happens.

Do any of your neighbours experience similar disconnection issues?
      I have not had time to contact them recently, there are only 4 other houses near. I know that they have not had any issues in the past as one of them relies of a stable connection for his business, Im assuming it isn't affecting him as he'd have BTO out in an instant. I will ask next week though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It looks like it could be a REIN problem. It may be worth pushing BTO to check this. The problem is it can be caused by a multitude of things. One person reported that a failing TV several houses away managed to knock out half a street. Another that it only happened when his other half was having her daily run on their treadmill in their garage. Have a look at Kitz's excellent article on this -
      ::. Kitz - REIN .::
      Yes, it sounds like this could be a interference issue now.

I've ruled out weather as the cause as theres been some days and nights of torrential rain and wind, during these times the connections been fine, with high, solid SNR values.

A point I've noticed is that there are never any noise spikes during the night, which is suggesting it could be a problem caused by peoples activity. When it happens its also like for an hour at a time, in which I have no BB connection :/

Also can RF filters resolve this?

EDIT: Just read the article, thanks very much, Im going to ask Sky about this and try to find an old AM radio to test.

Thanks very much

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast