Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Major Broadband Fault - 2 years on and still no progress :(

This is a discussion on Major Broadband Fault - 2 years on and still no progress :( within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by amalkin93 Yes, as I mentioned above, they have placed me on it and I have been billed, ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Major Broadband Fault - 2 years on and still no progress :(

Quote Originally Posted by amalkin93 View Post
      Yes, as I mentioned above, they have placed me on it and I have been billed, I asked them if I could wait till after next week though as I have A-Levels so I didn't want the BTO instalment visit(s) to mess with my exam prep time.

Im just not convinced it will fix this issue, especially if it is now a case of underground water damage or RF issues.
      No problem, I couldn't remember the state of play here.

Do you happen to know if the FTTC is know for solving issues, would it eliminate these common ADSL problems?
      FTTC will use the same copper cable from your current Green Street Cabinet to your home as ADSL does at the present time. If the problem is in this part of your cabling, then you'll continue to have some connection issues until someone actually decides to change your cables or something.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I live in West Yorkshire and the house was built in 2000 so its not old, all the builds around here have one, mine looks very worn down , nothing like the picture above but BTO refuse to do anything about it, it gets full on weather form the peak district hitting it.
      These wre not introduced until much later than that, if it doesn't look like the picture then it won't be an XNTE, they were never revised in design. What you probably have is the older type of junction box, it should be well up to any weather our climate can throw at it!
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

amalkin93 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Holmfirth
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      These wre not introduced until much later than that, if it doesn't look like the picture then it won't be an XNTE, they were never revised in design. What you probably have is the older type of junction box, it should be well up to any weather our climate can throw at it!
      Yes you are correct, I have been referring to it as an XNTE but really it is just a junction box. However its in a very poor state and the pair wires are bulging out the sides, although water cant get in the jelly crimps, could these thin wires be being affected by RF interference?

Update: Since yesterday evening, the line has been rock solid again and has stayed at an SNR of 10db on both up and down, its locked at 3072 down, 800 up and 8ms interleaved. It has rained again since, so maybe water is not the case, but its puzzling me why there was those spikes of noise yesterday. The phones still have a little physical noise on them which can now only be heard on speaker mode. Very odd...

RUNITDIRECT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Phone lines can be affected by RF but that usually does not go away unless the source of interference is removed or fixed. An 80B RF3 junction box is used in cases of REIN, BTO have engineers with meters etc for detecting REIN issues.
      run-IT-direct, For all your networking, ADSL & telecom requirements.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RUNITDIRECT View Post
      Phone lines can be affected by RF but that usually does not go away unless the source of interference is removed or fixed. An 80B RF3 junction box is used in cases of REIN, BTO have engineers with meters etc for detecting REIN issues.
      On the last visit they fitted an RF filter but Sky told them to remove it as it halved the Sync Speed. It was a small white box with a pair input and output, so not sure what to do about that, maybe it is needed.

Odd thing is, the Lines gone back solid today, even though its poor weather, and ive used it intensively too, Im starting to wonder whether the exception yesterday was a local problem or something. Seems great again now, no log issues.

Thanks

Well bad news, the line was solid all day yesterday and throughout the night, however at 11AM today things have gone seriously bad, from 11-12:45 the router was unable to sync, the downstream SNR was constantly fluctuating around 1db, making a connection impossible, it was also constantly dropping.

I have no idea whats causing this, but its really unacceptable. It is almost as if something is triggering these 'noise spikes', and I dont think its the weather anymore as yesterday was very bad with torrential rain, and the line was perfect. Today its dry and since 11AM the line just messed up...

I've tried to contact Sky but they are giving me this crap about 'wer'e not sending out anymore engineers for your line now', even though I keep telling them, this issue has only arisen since the last Engineer visit.

Any ideas on what this is or what I can do?
      Im also studying for my Computer Science A-Levels, as you can imagine, this is really not helping either.. starting to wish I'd not bothered with the last visit as the line was better before

Thanks for any help

Thanks

Major Broadband Fault - 2 years on and still no progress :(-screen-shot-2012-06-06-12.38.08.jpg
      Screenshot of the noise margin, it was around this level for hours, it was impossible to get any sort of connection. The upstream is always fine though at 9db.

steelysteph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lancaster
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: VM Hub 3
      Sky TV: 2TB Minnie Mous
      Thanks

It may seem a drastic measure but have you considered dropping Sky BB and going across to BT?

While this appears strange it would put the onus on BT to get your line fixed at their expense rather than Sky having to pay for the engineer call out. You could return to Sky in 12 months with all the perks of a new customer.

Thanks

Well, it would be a last resort, but I do prefer Sky, we like Sky TV, which also gives us a discount, and I dont really blame this on them, but I think there support could be better with communicating with BTO. I am moving to Fibre soon but I have little confidence it will fix this, at least if I am giving them even more money for broadband, it is a great excuse for them to fix it, also it irons out any current exchange or E-Side Line issues.

Thanks

Screenshot of logs
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Major Broadband Fault - 2 years on and still no progress :(-screen-shot-2012-06-08-17.27.36.jpg  

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast